Pedro Martinez as "super-reliever"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Musial6

Pedro Martinez as "super-reliever"

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

Anyone ever try that? I have him in a theme league, and he's a five day starter otherwise.

motherscratcher

Re: Pedro Martinez as "super-reliever"

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

I havent seen it but I've heard people have done it before. I think at the price tag it kind of defeats the purpose to use him or Babe in that capacity, but I have no doubt you could be successful doing it.

I'm not sure I'd use Pedro like that in a regular league; I'd either go with him in a straight five man or four man rotation. But a theme league is a different story. If you ar limited in your options and have access to Oedro, it mit make to most sense to make him a reliever.

Musial6

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 am

motherscratcher wrote:I havent seen it but I've heard people have done it before. I think at the price tag it kind of defeats the purpose to use him or Babe in that capacity, but I have no doubt you could be successful doing it.

I'm not sure I'd use Pedro like that in a regular league; I'd either go with him in a straight five man or four man rotation. But a theme league is a different story. If you ar limited in your options and have access to Oedro, it mit make to most sense to make him a reliever.

That's exactly the situation. Theme league with limited other options. Papelborn is available but he's only an R1. I want to use Pedro, but not really has a five day starter. So theoretically, how often could he be used or would be used by HAL if I set him up as middleman, set-up and closer?

motherscratcher

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:20 am

I think it works better if you put hm middleman, setup, tied and late.

Leave closer blank. Theory is that if you set him as your closer, Hal might save him for save situations.

Musial6

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am

OK - thanks a lot!

Treyomo

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am

My only question - if this is a franchise theme league with DH, the other Red Sox starters will likely log a ton of innings unless you put them to quick hook. With Papelbon in the closer role, I'm guessing that it will frequently go straight from starter to closer, so not sure how many innings Pedro would log. You'll have to play with the settings some to get enough innings from him.

Musial6

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Treyomo wrote:My only question - if this is a franchise theme league with DH, the other Red Sox starters will likely log a ton of innings unless you put them to quick hook. With Papelbon in the closer role, I'm guessing that it will frequently go straight from starter to closer, so not sure how many innings Pedro would log. You'll have to play with the settings some to get enough innings from him.

It's not a DH league.

So.........do you think it might be best to spend less for starters, use Pedro in the middle and set-up role, and Papelborn as closer? I'm also playing in Fenway '67, so "bombs away"!

BDWard

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Below is a link to a team where Babe Adams was used as a "super reliever" in middle relief (Gossage was the closer), with mixed results by one of the best managers in the game. Adams made 99 appearances on the season, with just 3 starts.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/sim/359451

It's VERY RARE for a manager to use a S/R in relief all season, as it doesn't give as much bang for the buck as just using a pitcher designated as relief only.

In the above case, perhaps the manager was experimenting, trying to determine if he could get a few extra innings out of Adams in relief compared to other relief pitchers due to Adams' 5 inning endurance factor in relief.

My team was in the same division as the above team. I was concerned all season that any time Adams' team had a lead in the 5th inning or later that Adams would come in to shut the door, and while Adams had a good year, he wasn't unhittable.

In addition to the extra cost of using a S/R in relief, it's tough to maximize innings in a no DH league, as was the team above, as your star RP is subject to HAL's pinch hitting whims.

One is better off using a super reliever in a DH league, where, with the right settings, the relief pitcher will only get yanked if he reaches his point of weakness.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats