Update: SOM has fixed the Pre-Season Salary Floor problem

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Outta Leftfield

Update: SOM has fixed the Pre-Season Salary Floor problem

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 2:28 am

Update: I just got this response from SOM regarding my complaint about applying the Salary Floor to the pre-season:
Thanks for your email! We've changed it so that the Salary Floor restriction no longer applies during the preseason.

It's strange that they let this happen at all, but they did respond quickly to our complaint. And the fix works. I tested it out recently by dropping the expensive versions of Tiant, Musial & others for their cheaper versions and had no problem. The pre-season floor has disappeared. Thanks, SOM, for fixing this fast, and on a weekend. :D

Written earlier:
I believe SOM has made a strange error in carrying out its new Salary Floor rule. Any rule requiring a 90% salary floor should apply only to the regular season, and NOT to the preseason, as--to my great surprise-- it currently does.
Today, I'm in a new 140M league and SOM tells me I must maintain a salary level of 126M (the 90% floor) even prior to waivers. I think this is just dumb, and I object to it very strenously.
As an example, I drafted a team for a lefty park and got Cy Young in the auto-draft when I missed a LH SP. I don't plan to use Young and doubt that he has any trade value. But what happens when I try to drop Young? I can't, because the Salary Floor applies even during waivers. Here's what I get:
Free Agent Transaction
You've chosen to drop: Young, Cy (1901) ($8,910,000)
Your current funds:
$9,530,000
Your resulting funds: $18,440,000
You're unable to execute this transaction for the following reasons:
- This move would put your total team salary at $121,560,000, which is under the required minimum of $126,000,000.
- You may not pick up any players until the Waivers period is over.
Go back.

If I try to drop other players worth more than a pittance who came unwanted in the autodraft, I can't drop them either because this new Salary Floor applies even before waivers. ARRGGGHHHH. Currently I'm stuck with an unwanted and expensive SP, C, SS, and RP that I can't get rid of before waivers. And trying to unload a pricey player during waivers is always chancy. Dropping an unwanted player before waivers or before the season starts has nothing to do with tanking. Why should any of us be forced to hold onto a player during the preseason, and especially pre-waivers, that we don't want, never intended to draft, can't trade, and won't use?
I hope that SOM will promptly reconsider--and remove-- its new practice of applying a salary floor to the preseason. It makes building any team difficult and building a team in a franchize league impossible. If you agree with me, please send
Last edited by Outta Leftfield on Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WeatherNut

Re: Salary Floor Should NOT Apply to Pre-Season...Currently

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 9:36 am

^^^This!^^^

Outta Leftfield

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 9:58 am

WeatherNut wrote:^^^This!^^^

Thanks, WeatherNut. I've written an email to SOM about my objections to this policy. I think it would be helpful if anyone who shares these objections write to SOM as well. You will find the link under "Info / Help // Contact Us".

Thanks, OL

ScumbyJr

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 11:49 am

Yes, it should not apply to pre-season. Then the question becomes -What happens if a team does not correct the salary floor issue before opening day?

Salty

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:07 pm

believe this could be more easily solved with a larger default floor-
say 75 to 80% of the total.

chaberlal

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:24 pm

Yes they are enforcing it in the pre-season...

WTF !!!

:shock: :o :shock:

I entered a team in Alphabet League 2... The salary cap is 120M$...

I hurried to get a team in because I wanted to make sure I got letter M...

So I drafted the first 28 M players that totaled 71M$...

Once my team got drafted... I'm unable to make any roster moves because HAL, that stupid bastard, tells me NO... the reason being that the move would leave me under the 108M$ minimum cap...

HOW INCREDIBLY STUPID !!!

chaberlal

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:25 pm

There... to make sure everyone understands, here are the rosters of Alphabet League 2...

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/460812

My team is Majestic Maulers, but look at Holland Homers who's also stuffed...

Charles/chaberlal

MaxPower

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 1:57 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:Yes, it should not apply to pre-season. Then the question becomes -What happens if a team does not correct the salary floor issue before opening day?

The answer is to allow add-drops that increase a team's payroll, not disallow all drops that result in <90%.

MaxPower

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 2:01 pm

Salty wrote:believe this could be more easily solved with a larger default floor-
say 75 to 80% of the total.

May as well just throw out the setting entirely at that point, very few tanking teams approach those payrolls.

90% is the ideal figure IMO.

STEVE F

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 2:54 pm

MaxPower wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:Yes, it should not apply to pre-season. Then the question becomes -What happens if a team does not correct the salary floor issue before opening day?

The answer is to allow add-drops that increase a team's payroll, not disallow all drops that result in <90%.

That won't help if you're trying to shed salary PRE waivers.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats