Who uses data, algorithms, spreadsheets etc. and why?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Who uses data, algorithms, spreadsheets etc. and why?

PostThu May 18, 2023 8:10 pm

Just wondering, I just use DiamondDope, and my eye. Who uses Excel spreadsheets, algorithms, etc., and why do you think these are better? Make your case, just my two cents.

Bunze0

Re: Who uses data, algorithms, spreadsheets etc. and why?

PostThu May 18, 2023 9:51 pm

I am like you hack use my eye and sometimes DD. I would like to learn how to make a program like some do. But where do you start and how do they get so much data?

MaxPower

PostFri May 19, 2023 12:24 am

Everyone should play whatever way is most fun for them. For me the game is a giant math problem to be solved, i.e., the spreadsheet is the game to me. The analytical argument for a spreadsheet is simple - with thousands of cards in the pool, a systematic approach is required merely to filter and sort cards efficiently, let alone to analyze them.

Where to start though, as Bunze wonders. Well the analytical starting points - Berce and Pelletier, essentially - have been shared often. But in terms of the nuts and bolts of actually coding the damn thing, the following handful of Excel functions will get you 99% of the way there.

XLOOKUP
SUMIFS/MINIFS/IFS/IF/IFERROR
INDEX(MATCH) (mostly supplanted by XLOOKUP)

Honestly that's about it. SUMPRODUCT if you're nasty. If you can get the sheets within your book talking to each other using the listed functions, you'll be amazed at what you can build.

MtheB

PostFri May 19, 2023 8:34 am

Never used DD.
Developed my own EXCEL spreadsheet rating system, in cooperation with several other owners over the years.
In the past year, I find that I no longer use the spreadsheet at all.

What I do use, once the draft is run, is a math formula to determine the average ballpark of the division and of the league.
I then use a formula that determines optimum player selection based on the number of LH/RH hitters in league/division, and same with starting pitchers. I also factor the number of BP HRs in div/league of opposing teams.

Danchiacchia

PostFri May 19, 2023 10:16 am

For ATG, I use Diamond Dope, and then do the data dump based on the ballpark I choose. I then try to determine best "value" of a card based on BR divided by cost of card. Honestly, I don't even know if it helps that much (or at all haha), but I enjoy the process and it helps find some diamonds in the rough of 4000 players.

Bunze0

PostFri May 19, 2023 12:07 pm

Darn Max I knew falling asleep in class was not a good idea! Haha sumif what? J/k

Mattw0909

PostFri May 19, 2023 9:25 pm

I use none of the above. I’ve figured it out off feel and just eyeing the card to be competitive in most leagues. I also know that without doing the extra steps there’s most likely a cap on how successful I’ll be vs those that take the time and do all the extra work.

chaberlal

PostSat May 20, 2023 6:20 am

might look stupid... but how do you use Diamond Dope ??? and where do you find it ???

:oops: :P :oops:

FrankieT

PostSat May 20, 2023 8:19 am

MtheB wrote:What I do use, once the draft is run, is a math formula to determine the average ballpark of the division and of the league.

Me too on the above--but then I just do a manual search for players who are matched well.
I create a matchup matrix based on handed-ness bias of opposing teams, including BPSI and BPHRs home/away, so what parks and opposing lineups will pitcher X or batter X likely be in. Then I categorize the opponents as hard or reverse L/R and how strongly--and pick who has the most positive matchups. Of course, you have to guess a little in pre-season.

But honestly I only do that in leagues where I am focused. I would say 75% of the time I just eyeball it. I used to use diamond dope but it is just faster to get a feel for a card by eye now.

I did use Joe the Jet's rating system at times to help sift through players and do filtering for certain things. Which I guess is similar to what Max describes except I don't create it nor update it myself.
Last edited by FrankieT on Sat May 20, 2023 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

FrankieT

PostSat May 20, 2023 8:20 am

chaberlal wrote:might look stupid... but how do you use Diamond Dope ??? and where do you find it ??? :oops: :P :oops:
Not stupid at all Charles
http://diamonddope.com/card_reader.cfm

It is something that was offered to the community by a former player agabriel (Adrian) and he keeps it up gratis (though you can offer support on the page--not sure if still active with him).

The data gets loaded by community vols--you will see andycummings put out calls to input new cards. I think he is one of few who still can reach Adrian. At the very least, if one uses it, that is probably a good idea to assist with loading cards.
e.g.,[url]
https://forum-365.strat-o-matic.com/com ... d#p5873158[/url]
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats