I struggle to understand ...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

HarmonK

I struggle to understand ...

PostFri Jul 19, 2024 11:42 pm

Man, I can't get results from my pitchers! I spent 20% of my budget on Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson. In 7 starts, Koufax has thrown a shutout and a no-hitter, but his ERA is over 5.00
Gibson has thrown some good games too, but an ERA just under 5.00
Satchell Paige is the only starter throwing well - he has started 4 games, has a 3-0 record, and has an ERA in low 3's.

My hitters are, for the most part, doing really well, but they can't keep up with all the runs being scored by opponents. I am in a rookie league with 5 bots and I am dead last at 12-18 record. We are only 30 games into the season, but I'm not sure this will turn around.

Just needed to spout off a little. I do love SOM and 365 is a fun way to play!

Palmtana

Re: I struggle to understand ...

PostSat Jul 20, 2024 12:46 am

Welcome to the game, Mr. Killebrew. Go to your "Team" page and copy the link here for some advice.

andycummings65

PostSat Jul 20, 2024 10:04 am

A little experiment with lineups from Koufax's and Gibson's era.....

1970 Orioles lineup
C-Ellie Hendricks .98/Andy Etchebarren .87
1b Boog Powell 6.69
2b Davey Johnson 3.02
SS Mark Belanger .93
3b Brooks Robinson 2.97
LF Merv Rettenmund 5.87
CF Paul Blair 4.04
RF Frank Robinson 5.14

That's a 30m lineup, that won 108 games and led the American League in Runs Scored. Whereas, an average lineup in a 80m ATG league is going to be in the 50-55m range, and an average lineup in a 100m ATG League is 65-70m or so.
So, in a 100m ATG league, Gibson and Koufax are facing lineups that are twice as potent as the ones they faced in real life.

Danchiacchia

PostSun Jul 21, 2024 9:31 am

HarmonK wrote:Man, I can't get results from my pitchers! I spent 20% of my budget on Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson. In 7 starts, Koufax has thrown a shutout and a no-hitter, but his ERA is over 5.00
Gibson has thrown some good games too, but an ERA just under 5.00
Satchell Paige is the only starter throwing well - he has started 4 games, has a 3-0 record, and has an ERA in low 3's.

My hitters are, for the most part, doing really well, but they can't keep up with all the runs being scored by opponents. I am in a rookie league with 5 bots and I am dead last at 12-18 record. We are only 30 games into the season, but I'm not sure this will turn around.

Just needed to spout off a little. I do love SOM and 365 is a fun way to play!

Early on when playing, I had similar frustrations, but then you recognize the level of offense in ATG, and how much damage can occur on the hitter’s card. That is completely beyond the control of the pitcher card. I started to instead measure WHIP and ERA against league average while also factoring in cost of pitching. Can help to get true measure of how they are performing.

Sweet Swinging 26

PostSun Jul 21, 2024 9:24 pm

Fielding and the ballparks you play in have a great impact on your pitchers performance, too many people don't consider that when building a team.

But, as the prior post stated, compare your team to the rest of the league. If your staff is in the top third of the league, it doesn't really matter what their numbers are, just know that they are doing better than average within the context of that league.

bkeat23

PostMon Jul 22, 2024 10:29 am

Mr. K, forget the numbers, stats, and value of the cards.

Send a case of Mountain Dew, a few bags of chips and jars of salsa to Glen Head HQ, and your teams performance will improve greatly. :D

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats