Using AI in Strat365

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

J-Pav

Using AI in Strat365

PostSat Aug 24, 2024 12:06 pm

I’ve been wondering at what point we’ll all be using AI to construct our teams, and how optimal rosters might evolve from that type of strategy down the road.

So last night I asked ChatGPT for some lineups and strategies, and was surprised the analysis was not half bad. I realize ChatGPT is just a fancy plagiarism algorithm, but that doesn’t mean it’s incapable of producing some food for thought. Focusing on slugging I thought was actually pretty insightful.

A brief anecdote on pitching. I often use the record books to scout ideas on rosters and particularly salary construction. Although it doesn’t hold true any more, there was a time when pitching strikeouts had an insane correlation with winning championships (shout-out to cbarclay11). You can see I built several teams in the record book using precisely this strategy. What you don’t see is how many rings I won using this set up, because to the total K’s gradually reached the point where teams stopped surpassing 1900, but were still winning championships in the 1800 range.

I was shocked that when it comes to starting pitching, ChatGPT precisely recommended low WHIP starters with very high K/9 ratios! :o

I had one free question left for the night, so I decided to ask “Who is the best manager in Strat365?” I fully expected it to default to nevdully’s 461 rings.

The given result is that the Top 3 managers in Strat365 according to ChatGPT is:

1. Palmtana
2. Coyote303
3. danno

Palmtana has been the unofficial Custodian of the Archives for as long as I can remember. He monitors the boards for nonsense and helps the 365 mgt team in all ways possible. When he’s not swatting away bots and spammers, he’s always encouraging good dialogue on the boards and has never ceased to be a great competitor!

I know Bob will get a kick out of finding he is the best manager in Strat365 - and I do hope he knows his dedication to the game has been very much appreciated!

Thank you Bob (Palmtana)!! :D

scorehouse

Re: Using AI in Strat365

PostSat Aug 24, 2024 12:54 pm

did the AI list the SP's or just pair whip/K's?

J-Pav

PostSat Aug 24, 2024 2:39 pm

The original response I got was DeGrom, Scherzer, Cole and Wheeler. But I can’t tell if that’s 200x specific to a particular year (I think it might be). Hader was the RP. How you phrase the question exactly is probably super important.

I did ask about ATG specifically and I remember Walter Johnson was one, but Randy Johnson was not one, so I was only half paying attention at that point.

What I’m guessing is that ChatGPT is basically combing the forums to plagiarize an opinion. For instance, there’s a post called “Winning Strategy” that was foot noted in the AI search results. ChatGPT takes that forum as gospel truth and makes recommendations from that thread. Manager danno (OP) posted in there quite a bit.

I imagine if you created a forum thread titled “ChatGPT will agree this is the Optimal Roster Build” then people searching ChatGPT for optimal rosters will be told that that opinion is the correct one. :lol:
Last edited by J-Pav on Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Pav

PostSat Aug 24, 2024 2:49 pm

I can assure you that ChatGPT is only using the forums to reach its conclusions. It is not analyzing the Barnstormer’s archives or the Tour Championship links to assess individual rosters or seasons in any way, shape or form.

I have read that you can “teach” ChatGPT to play online games like Age of Empires, for instance. From actual game playing experience, the AI can then move into independent strategy building.

It would be fun to “teach” the AI the Strat game engine, input a million seasons played, and then see what it starts spitting out. :ugeek:

Palmtana

PostSat Aug 24, 2024 3:00 pm

J-Pav wrote:....I know Bob will get a kick out of finding he is the best manager in Strat365 ......

Was there ever any doubt!? That's a hoot. Btw, almost all of the spam these days is from what I call AI bots. Like you said, Jeff, the content of their posts is a rehashing of other posts in the thread. They are benign and kind of charming. Interestingly, #2 on the list, coyote303, is another who gives tons of advice and help all over the boards (as do jjii66 and milleram). I guess AI likes givers.

Hack Wilson

PostTue Aug 27, 2024 8:10 pm

LOL, I can't believe "Danno" was mentioned by ChatGPT as a "best" manager. He got kicked out of SOM for egregious league behavior, the likes of which I've never seen before in SOM, and he has a well below .500 record.

As Neil Young once sang, "This much madness is too much sorrow." :lol:

barrmorris

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:LOL, I can't believe "Danno" was mentioned by ChatGPT as a "best" manager. He got kicked out of SOM for egregious league behavior, the likes of which I've never seen before in SOM, and he has a well below .500 record.

I thought the same thing Hack so back when this was first posted, I had the following "conversation" with ChatGPT

You said:
Who is the best manager in strat365

ChatGPT said: In the Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 community, the top three managers are often recognized as Palmtana, Coyote303, and danno. Palmtana, in particular, is highly regarded for his contributions to the game and his role in maintaining the community, while also being a competitive manager himself. These managers are well-known for their strategies and consistency in the game, earning them respect and recognition among players(

You said:
Why danno?

ChatGPT said:
Danno is recognized as one of the top managers in Strat365 due to his consistent performance and effective strategies. While specific details on his success aren't highlighted often, players like him usually excel through a deep understanding of player stats, salary cap management, and strong decision-making in team building. His reputation as a top manager stems from winning multiple championships, which shows his ability to adapt to different league formats and opponent strategies(

You said:
He's not even on the 200 top managers page

ChatGPT said:
If danno doesn't appear on the top 200 managers list, it could be due to specific rankings based on win totals, league performances, or other statistical criteria. Rankings fluctuate over time, and even strong managers can be excluded if they focus on niche leagues or are not as active as others. While highly regarded by some in the community, individual reputation may not always correlate with overall ranking in official listings.

You said:
He was kicked off 365 by strat-o-matic for his offensive posts

ChatGPT said:
If danno was removed from Strat-O-Matic 365 for offensive posts, it likely impacted his legacy in the game. Even if he had strong managerial skills, violations of community standards can lead to consequences like account suspensions or bans. Strat-O-Matic prioritizes maintaining a respectful environment, and offensive behavior is not tolerated, which may explain why he’s no longer part of the game.

You said:
His winning percentage was below .500

ChatGPT said:
That explains why danno's reputation might differ from his actual performance. A winning percentage below .500 indicates he lost more games than he won, which is below average for competitive managers in Strat-O-Matic 365. Despite community recognition, his in-game results don't align with those of top-tier managers, and his removal from the platform further highlights that issues beyond gameplay affected his standing.

You said:
I disagree with your assessment that he was recognized by the community

ChatGPT said:
You're right to point out that my initial assessment was off. Danno's exclusion from the top 200 managers and his win percentage below .500 suggest he wasn't widely celebrated for his gameplay. His removal from Strat-O-Matic 365 for offensive posts likely further damaged his reputation within the community. It appears any mention of him was more of an anecdotal or isolated reference rather than widespread recognition for success in the game.

Palmtana

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 3:13 pm

Amazing. It adjusts its responses on the fly.

ScumbyJr

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 3:19 pm

barrmorris wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:LOL, I can't believe "Danno" was mentioned by ChatGPT as a "best" manager. He got kicked out of SOM for egregious league behavior, the likes of which I've never seen before in SOM, and he has a well below .500 record.

I thought the same thing Hack so back when this was first posted, I had the following "conversation" with ChatGPT

You said:
Who is the best manager in strat365

ChatGPT said: In the Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 community, the top three managers are often recognized as Palmtana, Coyote303, and danno. Palmtana, in particular, is highly regarded for his contributions to the game and his role in maintaining the community, while also being a competitive manager himself. These managers are well-known for their strategies and consistency in the game, earning them respect and recognition among players(

You said:
Why danno?

ChatGPT said:
Danno is recognized as one of the top managers in Strat365 due to his consistent performance and effective strategies. While specific details on his success aren't highlighted often, players like him usually excel through a deep understanding of player stats, salary cap management, and strong decision-making in team building. His reputation as a top manager stems from winning multiple championships, which shows his ability to adapt to different league formats and opponent strategies(

You said:
He's not even on the 200 top managers page

ChatGPT said:
If danno doesn't appear on the top 200 managers list, it could be due to specific rankings based on win totals, league performances, or other statistical criteria. Rankings fluctuate over time, and even strong managers can be excluded if they focus on niche leagues or are not as active as others. While highly regarded by some in the community, individual reputation may not always correlate with overall ranking in official listings.

You said:
He was kicked off 365 by strat-o-matic for his offensive posts

ChatGPT said:
If danno was removed from Strat-O-Matic 365 for offensive posts, it likely impacted his legacy in the game. Even if he had strong managerial skills, violations of community standards can lead to consequences like account suspensions or bans. Strat-O-Matic prioritizes maintaining a respectful environment, and offensive behavior is not tolerated, which may explain why he’s no longer part of the game.

You said:
His winning percentage was below .500

ChatGPT said:
That explains why danno's reputation might differ from his actual performance. A winning percentage below .500 indicates he lost more games than he won, which is below average for competitive managers in Strat-O-Matic 365. Despite community recognition, his in-game results don't align with those of top-tier managers, and his removal from the platform further highlights that issues beyond gameplay affected his standing.

You said:
I disagree with your assessment that he was recognized by the community

ChatGPT said:
You're right to point out that my initial assessment was off. Danno's exclusion from the top 200 managers and his win percentage below .500 suggest he wasn't widely celebrated for his gameplay. His removal from Strat-O-Matic 365 for offensive posts likely further damaged his reputation within the community. It appears any mention of him was more of an anecdotal or isolated reference rather than widespread recognition for success in the game.

This AI must be Annoying Intelligence,

Hack Wilson

PostWed Aug 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Quite interesting, wow!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats