2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: 2017 Finals Vote for CAP/DH/Draft Order

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:36 am

Farmer is the poor man's Sutton. I'll have 7 starters eventually. Could have grabbed Wilhelm instead of Coleman, given all the likely small ball teams, but it appears that my Grand Theft Baseball team is back on. 8-) If Reuter hadn't been taken I would have taken Reuter and Farmer. It will be interesting to me to see how many AB's Gates Brown will have against lefties when his team plays mine. Good thing about the cheap starters. Gonna have lots of pitching switches, so if one happens to have guys like Weintraub they lose some serious value against cheap pitching staffs with all the switches. Big disadvantage of the 4 stud nickel bullpen strategy: you don't get to take advantage of Hal's reluctance to pinch hit...

Bruce Foster had quite a run with his 4 studs in Petco. But he did not fare well against my teams when he used that strategy, on the relatively rare occasions that we were in leagues together. Just sayin...
Last edited by The Last Druid on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cristano1

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am

I like the name "Grand Theft". Makes it sound so much more eloquent than copycat.

The Last Druid

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:46 am

LMAO. If only your characterization was accurate. You don't play enough to see who copies from whom, but like rburgh, I tend to march to the beat of my own drummer.

The Last Druid

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 am

It is ironic though that I purloined the Grand Theft Baseball name from deepdrive after I noticed he was having quite a successful run in Forbes, 2-3 years ago at 100M. He demonstrated the efficacy of Wes Parker and the 7.86 Clemente in Forbes, over and over.

hallerose

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

I'm going to be unavailable most of the rest of the day. I've left a few proxies, please don't take them all.

labratory

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:32 pm

I just landed and am getting an Internal Service Error on Diamonddope. Not sure if it's the internet connection at the airport or the DD site.
I left a few proxies before my flight left. Hope they fired and I'm not holding anyone up.

cristano1

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Lab you're all set all your proxies fired off.

mighty moose

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 pm

DDope working for me. Logging in to the draft site too.

cristano1

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Petro: We are the exact opposite general manager. You put faith in sample sizes of 1. You put faith in HAL. As if HAL could even adequately manage a staff of 12 pitchers. To be honest, I am kind of worried leaving HAL to manage my deadball slow hook F0 four huge starters. You mainly copy the trendy stuff of the moment. Mark my words, next year Barnstormers will shift back to big stars then shift again to something else. These tiny starters are just a phase. Heredia has no business making even 1 start in a 100m cap league. Even against a team with 9 lefty batters. And of course, you consider the Jet ratings the Old Testament.

For me, if I can't prove something over a minimum of 1000 seasons then I don't believe it. I don't use any intense mathematical concepts, I simply treat everything as false unless my Excel file proves it true. I am original, I use my own boys, and this league there will be 3 starting position players on my batting roster that I've never used on any previous team before in the history of all my teams. And I only look at Jet ratings to see who you will pick high. On that note, I am still in shock that King Kelly and Frank Chance didn't go 2nd round.

Next, in what world will Weintraub ever face more than 5-7% lefties over the course of a season? Never. In what world does Weintraub seeing a few less AB matter? None. Weintraub is a great value, and so what if he needs to be pinch hit a bit? Simply checking "avoid lefties" makes sure he is yanked if a righty starts and a lefty comes in for relief. But that won't happen ever against your team. In games that matter your pitching sequence will be starter, Burke. If the starter is a lefty, then Weintraub takes the day off. If the starter is a righty, then Weintraub starts and stays in vs Burke. All the pitching scraps on your roster that don't matter won't matter. In any real (aka close) game the sequence is Starter to Burke. Which is great news cause that is about the only pinch hitting sequence that HAL can handle.

Why don't you tell me more about your n=1 Proof of Concept league? Let me guess, Rueter had a sub 1.00 ERA in that league, so you now consider him a perennial cy young candidate?

The Last Druid

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm

You must be unique if you think checking "avoid lefties" will result in Weintraub getting lifted. That is precisely my point. Hal routinely ignores checked avoid boxes. Also, if you think Burke will be my go to reliever, think again. He will almost certainly be my innings eater but when I go cheap on starting pitching at 100M, I generally use two 5M + relievers. Burke isn't even that good except to eat maybe 250-300 ip.

Pretty much anyone in this event would run 1000's of simulated seasons if they had all the rosters. Not sure how much all of that would cost but I'm assuming somewhere north of 3K. You are probably the only person here who would find that a reasonable expense outlay. I have no desire to enrich Richman and his minions by purchasing any of their products save ATG teams. I only allot maybe three hundred bucks a year to this game. Mostly I play on free credits.

We all do what we can with the tools that we have access to.

One league means little, but not nothing if it generates useful hypotheses to test in new leagues, or in your case with your computer.

I prefer to spend my discretionary gaming money on chess. I have a library of several thousand chess books and have one of the better private collections of chess pieces on the planet. Compared to chess, I just dabble in SOM.
Last edited by The Last Druid on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour