2022 Finals Draft

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

MaxPower

Re: 2022 Finals Draft

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 am

STEVE F wrote:Cristano fires the last shot, dropping Lundgren for Waddel. I kind of think Max saw that one coming, I kind of did (told Eric O that if it were me, I'd go with an all lefty starting rotation in this league)

He'd just told me about an hour earlier that he was actually thinking of going back to 4 righties, then pulled that switcharoo 2 minutes before the deadline. Pretty desperate if you ask me, but it won't be enough.

FrankieT

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 12:13 am

Steve--yeah that seems would have been a smart move. BruceF was onto something.

We did a compressed preseason this weekend which was fine...but unfortunately in my case it coincided with an unexpected visit from out of town family for the weekend :) Bastages!

mighty moose

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 12:41 am

chaberlal wrote:It's difficult to understand and accept why The #s 1 and 2 seed, Christano and MaxPower, could wind up in the same division...

It's called "random". I specifically asked SOM to randomize the Divisions for me when I asked them to also set the correct draft order

STEVE F

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 1:02 am

MaxPower wrote:
STEVE F wrote:Cristano fires the last shot, dropping Lundgren for Waddel. I kind of think Max saw that one coming, I kind of did (told Eric O that if it were me, I'd go with an all lefty starting rotation in this league)

He'd just told me about an hour earlier that he was actually thinking of going back to 4 righties, then pulled that switcharoo 2 minutes before the deadline. Pretty desperate if you ask me, but it won't be enough.

I agree it won't be enough.

FrankieT

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 8:58 am

No doubt that it was an ideal situation for Max to have the two righty parks in his division because of how he leveraged his team.

There is also no doubt he successfully lobbied to forego the usual week of post waiver activity to compress the season start and make adjustments to his strategy more difficult because it is not a typical arrangement for most people in a lefty park. I think this was part of his shock and awe plan, so in fairness to Cristano, he was on a tight timeline to ditch his self-imposed .50 bargain roster and Max BTW did his own switcheroos multiple times, and effectively. It's a competition so no need to disparage anyone. But I think it is all in good fun. Hell, we all want to win.

BUT...we had this same discussion last year with a focus on the big dogs and yet while Max (and myself) were among the last four, it was two guys who just quietly kept winning their games that met for the crown.

So before we crown anyone for their achievements, it will be interesting to see what happens. There are the most likely outcomes that could evolve, but there are many ways this can all proceed unexpectedly. Let's not lose sight of the fact that djp_77 put together a Mile High team--geez we all know that can be a wildcard in the mix, so it will be fun to watch it all unfold, not to mention there are two other interesting divisions that could spoil the annointments.

STEVE F

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 pm

Well said, Quarkmeister. It is interesting to follow the gamesmanship though.

FrankieT

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 12:47 pm

quarky quark quark WTF is that Frank

you are the man

MaxPower

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 7:47 pm

There is also no doubt he successfully lobbied to forego the usual week of post waiver activity to compress the season start and make adjustments to his strategy more difficult because it is not a typical arrangement for most people in a lefty park. I think this was part of his shock and awe plan, so in fairness to Cristano, he was on a tight timeline to ditch his self-imposed .50 bargain roster and Max BTW did his own switcheroos multiple times, and effectively. It's a competition so no need to disparage anyone. But I think it is all in good fun. Hell, we all want to win.
As far as the length of preseason, I'm not sure anything actually got changed? In the draft chat Moose left it up in the air and made it seem like the decision would be made after the draft. Then the league was created with the 3 days before Opening Night, suggesting to me that because we finished before midnight, the setting gave us the first Monday. We'd been assuming the deadline was 11pm, but my read is the deadline was actually midnight and nothing was actually changed. Unless of course Moose tells us differently! (And let's not forget that you were lobbying to turn the clock on a couple hours before the assumed deadline because you wanted the short preseason as well.)

Also it wasn't really a short preseason, it was actually just the normal default length for any league. If you count the draft as part of the preseason then it was twice as long as a normal league. Anyway I don't really follow how not having two weeks of preseason would benefit me in particular over anyone else.

The only thing I did that could be called a switcharoo was picking Shea instead of Hilltop, but like I said I'd been stocking Shea players for the last third of the draft (starting with Lynn), so anyone paying close attention to my draft should've been able to tell I was keeping my options open.
BUT...we had this same discussion last year with a focus on the big dogs and yet while Max (and myself) were among the last four, it was two guys who just quietly kept winning their games that met for the crown.
For sure, I'm not predicting a ring here, nor would I do that in any league because anything can happen in the playoffs. I am gonna win that division though.

FrankieT

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 9:01 pm

Hey Max...don't let me get under your skin...it's all good. I don't dispute anything you just shared.

Like I said--part of the dance. If we all acted like we didn't give a damn, it would be boring.

Nothing malevolent in what anyone did along the way, actions real or imagined.

What did chaberlal ask rhetorically--how could the 1 and 2 seeds end up in the same division...hell I'd have it no other way from what we have seen so far.

cheers

MaxPower

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 9:08 pm

FrankieT wrote:What did chaberlal ask rhetorically--how could the 1 and 2 seeds end up in the same division...hell I'd have it no other way from what we have seen so far.

Definitely, it's been a ton of fun. Last year was also fun but in a totally different way. Completely different dynamic with this group. No last minute moves at all last year and everyone was so sedate and lovey. Which was awesome! This year has been full of chaos and trash talking which is also awesome in a different way.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour