30 years in 12 seasons (TriDec) just need durantjerry

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Yellow_Dog

Re: 30 years in 12 seasons (TriDec) league forming

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 1:50 am

Hmmm. I'll be fine either way, but will throw caution to the wind and vote no cap.

canauscot

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 3:31 am

Durantjerry & BigAlric still to vote and then we can move on with the draft.

durantjerry

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:38 am

I would go with the no cap but only with the caveat that rosters are limited to 25 players. With the limited player pool and no cap I don't think there would be enough choices when looking to replace under achievers if everyone was carrying 28 players. If no roster limit is enforced, I would go $80, as I played with a few in this league in the 90's end of another Triple Decade and $80 worked pretty well IMO

AdamKatz

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Im guessing its pretty unlikely - but if a player is dropped during a season and not picked up, s he eligible to be drafted in the next live draft (assuming he is still active) or is he free-for-all in the next auto-draft?

Yellow_Dog

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Adam, in previous triple decade leagues a dropped player was considered a free agent for the next year that could be included on anybody's draft card. I suppose we could do it differently this time.

I went ahead and summarized everybody's vote on the cap issue. BigA hasn't chimed in yet, and I couldn't figure out canauscot's vote yet. By my count we're at 5 votes for 80 cap, 4 votes for no cap, 1 vote for no cap if 25 roster limit (I actually like this idea too, durantjerry), 2 votes to count.

1) sphilipp8 - $80 cap
2) bigdinkent - $80 cap
3) canauscot -
4) AdamKatz - No cap
5) fench33 - No cap
6) Jayhawk81 - $80 cap
7) ggrover15 - $100 cap, then $80 cap
8) BigAlric -
9) djkalle - $80 cap
10) durantjerry - No cap if 25 player roster limit; otherwise $80 cap
11) Yellow_Dog - No cap
12) franky35 - No cap

AdamKatz

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I would rather have an $80M cap than limit the number of players on the team. For one thing even though I prefer no cap, I dont think the Cap is going to be that much of a problem, and I like to platoon (assuming thats possible with the limited number of playrs). Also, unless there is a way to automatically limit everyone to 25 players (and I dont believe I ever noticed if there is) that seems like a rule that is going to be extremely hard and annoying to monitor and I feel that someone will eventually accidently violate that rule and it will/could go unnoticed for days.
Long story short, whether there is a 25 man limit or not, one of me or Durantjerry is going to be an $80cap and the other is going to be a no cap no matter the circumstance.

djkalle

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Question - lets say I draft Bruce Kison and drop him during the year. Yellow Dog picks him up and he is on his roster through the end of the season. Can yellow dog protect Kison for the next season or would he have needed to draft him and keep him on his roster for the entire season in order for him to be a keeper?

Sorry if I missed that in the reading of the instructions.

Chuck

franky35

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 3:50 pm

OK, so if I'm understanding Adam's post, then there are currently 6 votes for an 80 mil cap. So if either canuscot or BigAlric vote for 80 mil cap, then the 80 mil cap will win.

By the way, I'm not in a hurry to resolve this issue. I think it is a very important issue for this entire 15 season league. So, if anyone has comments or thoughts about this rule - let's hear it. Maybe the mind of the collective will come up with a solution from which resistance is futile. (a geeky star trek reference)

I think Adam raises a good point about avoiding a rule that is difficult to enforce. However, I think that, by far, the hardest rule to enforce is the player eligibility rule. We have already had someone try to pick up Schmidt.

At least for the 1972 season, a 25 player cap would be irrelevant (get that reference?). According to the list of available players, there are only 249 eligible hitters and only 162 eligible pitchers. This means that, after the autodraft is run, there will only be 69 hitters and 42 pitchers available to be drafted. The quality of the remaining 69 hitters is going to be poor - guys like Tommy Davis and Tim Cullen. Likewise, there won't be many decent pitchers available in the pool. So whether rosters are 25 players or 27 won't make much difference since players 26 and 27 are sure to be poor quality, although we might use the larger roster as kind of a taxi squad to stash players for future seasons.
Last edited by franky35 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canauscot

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 pm

A player once dropped can be taken by another team and then protected in the offseason by being retained on the roster (via keeping them on your draft card and appearing on the team next year). A player is only eligible for the draft once.

Franky rather I view Adam's vote for no cap but also a strong opinion against a 25 man roster cap. I am waiting for all the votes before expressing mine.

AdamKatz

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 pm

franky understood exactly what I was saying actually. To the extent there is a 25man cap, my vote becomes cap and Durantjerrys is no cap. To the extent there is no limit, I vote no cap and Durantjerry is cap, so either way one of us is cap and one of us is no cap so, unfortunately for me, there are effectively 6 votes for the cap already and therefore one more cap vote wins it.

In any case, lets get on with this draft. The first two picks are locked in and confirmed regardless. I dont want to give them any extra time to change their pick to Tommy Davis or Tim Cullen. As things stand, I am guaranteed one of them!

Also, as for the harder rule to enforce- I meant the hardest rule to realize is broken. Obviously we can't actually "enforce" a rule if someone decides to pick up Schmidt. All we can do is call him a big fat cheater on the board. If someone midway through the season somone drops 3 players and picks up 4, none of whom are very exciting, it is possible that no one notices (including the person doing the add/drop) that they are over 25-very possible to forget the rule or not check. IF somone midway through the season picks up Schmidt or even Dwight Evans- at least 10 other people are going to notice.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s