need help in 70's waivers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

birdey44593

need help in 70's waivers

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 1:04 pm

I have only played 70's league once before and it was a long time ago. I participate in 80's leagues quite often so are more familiar with safe bets in that league. Here is my team as drafted and I have #1 claim in waivers . I am in Tiger Stadium. Needs as I see it are obviously 1B and 3B, and another solid LHB. I am thinking I need to drop Hisle(DH) for someone else. Would drop B Darwin and probably Wohlford. Am thinking Cooper at 1B, but I don't know if he is worthy of overall #1 choice in waivers. Killebrew is also there. E Rodriguez doesn't look like anything special. I read in some other threads that 70's bullpen is not like 80's where you can get by with four .75 relievers. wasn't sure of Gullett. He looks decent, but then I would have to get a 5th starter in place of Friesleben. Input please?

SP- N Ryan, D Gullett, D Wilson, B Lee, D Friesleben
RP- Goose, E Rodriguez, D Millar, B Mc Clure, B Brandon

c- Tenace
1b-nobody (went Stargell in draft)
2b-R Stennet, T Sizemore
ss-Kessinger
3b-w Garrett
LF-G Foster
CF- F Lynn
RF-R Smith
DH- Hisle
reserves- V Correll, J Terrell, D Thomas, D Collins, J Wohlford, B Darwin

ggrover15

Re: need help in 70's waivers

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm

I am not cooper fan at all in the 70's so I would go with Killebrew if he is no other 1b. What are your choices at 3b. or in the OF. if you have the number one waiver try trading it for a good 1b or 3b. 3b are harder to find. Who is the top players in waviers.

Ducky

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Definitely go with Killebrew and find a left handed hitting DH, Kemp, Braun or Carbo come to mind as options.

Ikes

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Ducky wrote:Definitely go with Killebrew and find a left handed hitting DH, Kemp, Braun or Carbo come to mind as options.

I like this suggestion and I would throw in Oscar Gamble or Ron Blomberg as options too.

birdey44593

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

thx for the help all. I like idea of Killibrew as I was checking YountFans site and even against rhp his obp and slg are as good as Cooper's.

top players avail: F Robinson, Bonds, Singleton, Luzinski, B Powell, Aikens, J Clark, Oglivie
3B: Bailey, Cey, Bando, Harrah

any thoughts on decent less expensive relievers or how Gullett generally does?

ggrover15

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm

If it were me I would take bonds play him at DH try and steal aikens at 1b in the second round. drop Hisle for bonds to save money. Then drop Gullett for whoever you like under 4 mill. Look for a starter like
denny
Norman
Christenson
Lonborg

one of those guys to be a starter. I am not a fan of Ryan either. too many good starters under 5 mill to use him. Look around at whats you can get under 5 mill. Eck, the count, perry ect.. are good choices.

Reason I take bonds. Good backup if you do not get Lynn's good year.

Just my 2cents...

hallerose

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Bonds needs to be your choice for first in waivers. I don't think I have ever seen him available -- he's a top 10 player. Maybe try for Killebrew in the 2nd round; he has 2 huge years. Cut Gullet for a decent * starter.

hallerose

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Bonds needs to be your choice for first in waivers. I don't think I have ever seen him available -- he's a top 10 player. Maybe try for Killebrew in the 2nd round; he has 2 huge years. Cut Gullet for a decent * starter.

AdamKatz

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

No brainer on Bonds. At least one of Foster, Bonds, Smith and Lynn are probably going to be in a bad year - if not, Id dump Lynn if it isnt his best year. If it is, and the other three are in good years- you will be overpaying for DH but ho cares? you have a good Bonds, Lynn, Foster and Smith!

Between Killebrew, Cooper and Aikens, Kill has less of a chance of being good against righties but has the total best years. Nevertheless, I would go for Aikens as he is a machine against righties. On the other hand, if I recall, Killebrew also plays 3B and third baseman are hard to find. No bad choice between Killebrew and Aikens.

On pitching,if you looked at the cards, you can probably tell already that there are fewer under 1 mill relievers with good years. However, the starting pitching is alot better. Also, you may not have noticed, but you can cut down to 9 pitchers. Ryan and Lee are very good. Not familiar off the top of my head with your other pitchers.

jayhawk81

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Agree, no brainer on Bonds. Post waivers I would try to trade Lynn for a 1b or 3b. At 1b, try Thompson or Bloomberg as your LH side of a platoon. Also considering playing Tenace at 1b and draft a Catcher.

Regarding pitching, in Tiger Stadium you need a couple LH starters. I would dump Ryan and Gullet to get a couple LH*. If you have any money left, you need bullpen depth, especially in Tiger Stadium. Add a little more reliever depth.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s