Defensive Catcher Replacement

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Tanooki

Defensive Catcher Replacement

PostFri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm

My starting catcher is Ray : c-1(0)e7,T-13(pb-5)

I was thinking of using this guy (charlie) as a defensive replacement late in games : c-2(-2)e3,T-5(pb-2)

I'm in petco, so holding runners and keeping them from stealing is key I think. As far as I can tell, charlie is a better option late in games since he has a lower T rating <-- what is that again? :? and lower passed balls.

I literally got EVERY single person I drafted EXCEPT the backup catcher. That has never happened before :geek: :P

Let me know what you think, thanks!

apolivka

Re: Defensive Catcher Replacement

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 11:21 am

I'd say it's about a wash. The better arm and lower T rating (T rating measures the potential for throwing errors) is a plus, but going from a 1 to a 2 is downgrade that pretty much evens it out as the arm and T rating only come into play on stolen base attempts, and the defense rating _always_ comes into play on a Catch-X.

Don't use the "remove for defensive sub" check mark as that can have some really bad unintended consequences for a catcher. (i.e. your backup catcher might pinch hit in a game, but HAL will then yank Ray and put in an unrated catcher under certain circumstances because you told him to!) But, specifying the other guy as a defensive replacement would probably be OK.

Terry101

Re: Defensive Catcher Replacement

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Charlie is a better option. He has a better arm by 2, makes less fielding errors, much better T rating and less passed balls.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx