SMALL BALL KINGS PRE-1920 DRAFTING

Our historical single season sets

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

kenhutchings

Re: SMALL BALL KINGS PRE-1920 DRAFTING

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:30 am

Musial6 wrote:So in our "manual drafts" no one has ever selected a player that had already been selected? Only available players have been selected?!?! Damn - I must have been in Superman's Bizarro world observing previous drafts then. Well....excuuuuuse me for pointing out what isn't so freaking obvious. If you put your last two autodraft picks at the top of the draft card, and if just by chance you didn't know that your selection JOE BLOW was already selected by another manager in the previous 23 or 24 rounds of manual draft and said other manager has him listed on his draft card lower than the first two slots, guess what's going to happen? I'm with Newman - let's just continue the manual draft. I said once before long ago - clarification and explanation of rules BEFOREHAND go a long way to avoiding problems. What's the point of closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped?

Although I had earlier expressed support of the idea of concluding the draft after the 24th Round, I do have to admit that it is unfair to individuals such as Newman who had a drafting strategy based upon a 26 round manual draft to conclude it earlier. Commissioner Dan is trying to herd cats, I'm afraid.

Given his success in this tournament, I would find it interesting to learn about Newman's strategies for drafting and managing after the tournament has been completed. I have always felt a sense of achievement on those few occasions when I've been able to either sweep or win a series against his teams.

At this time, I do feel that perhaps we do need to continue this draft to the bitter end, even though there will likely be a week's hiatus between the conclusion of this league and the beginning of the next league (at least for eight of us anyway). However, I would suggest that the draft guidelines need to be reviewed. I do feel that it is possible to complete a 26 round draft within a four week period (that's an average of just under twelve selections each day). I realize that we are scattered across this country in different time zones, and that poses some challenges. However, if we plan ahead and utilize the assistance of others in the league to select for us when we are not available, I think it's quite doable. I am certainly willing to offer my assistance in this endeavor.

As always, however, I will be supportive of whatever the decision of the commish is. 8-)

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 am

Musial6 wrote: What's the point of closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped?

So no other critters come in???

kenhutchings

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

doug_tucker10 wrote:Thanks for making my picks..i have more than enough for Camnitz...

It's looking like all my games will be by 1 - 0 scores, I'm offended by my offensive offense. :o

I guess the O might improve some once i convert Mr. Duffy's season.

As we've progressed through this tournament, the games have been higher scoring in each league. The average runs per game per team are as follows: '60-'69 4.60 RPG, '47-'59 4.85 RPG, '35-'46 5.26, and through 150 games, the '20-'34 league is 5.24 RPG. It's going to be interesting to see how this next league goes, as I would have to share Doug's observations that runs are going to be difficult to come by, especially compared with the other leagues.

Rjnewman

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I like the idea of giving out emails/text numbers so the person that drafts can just alert the next guy. If he does not pick for
some predetermined time (5 hours?} then the next guy can go and he emails or texts the person. If someone has an emergency he can tell the board to wait to skip him. Providing a proxy if you know you will be unavailable is of course the best way to speed things up. Either way the drafts are the most fun and the strategic part of the game. Even if we are a week behind getting the perfect overlap, these leagues that Dan have put together have run super smoothly. Randy has helped out to make sure guys are not drafted twice and most everyone has been picking in a reasonable time. The email text idea after each pick that Dan suggested should solve problem unless people are lazy :P . Doesn't everyone have email and or smartphones? I reiterate that the drafts are the most fun of all, I for one am enjoying the live league running concurrently with the next draft. That is perfect combo.

AllStarInc

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm

ROUND 23

265. kenhutchings - George Moriarty 1910
266. Doug Tucker - Howie Camnitz 1909
267. Musial6 - Tom Jones 1919
268. krazykat - Herman Long 1900
269. gfdwarf - Frank Shellenback 1919 (proxy)
270. ehlekev -
271. Risden - PROXY: 1. Swede Risberg 1919; 2. Kid Elberfeld 1907
272. AllStarInc - Griffith Stadium
273. LMBombers -
274. GordieHowe -
275. RickSmith -
276. rjnewman

Kev has a stadium. Does he even know it's his pick? He actually commented on the discussion but didn't make a pick?

LMBombers

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

I think I am the last American to not own a cell phone. I have never texted, tweeted or facebooked either. However I check in regularly and have email.

I got a great deal on an 8 Track player just the other day however. :D

kenhutchings

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm

LMBombers wrote:I think I am the last American to not own a cell phone.

That's great. One less dangerous driver on the road. :)

GFDWARF07

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Herding cats indeed.

We will finish 26 rounds - enough said.

Our miserable league is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision! :lol:

GFDWARF07

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 4:26 pm

LMBombers wrote:I think I am the last American to not own a cell phone. I have never texted, tweeted or facebooked either. However I check in regularly and have email.

I got a great deal on an 8 Track player just the other day however. :D

I don't ever remember waiting long for Randy to make a pick.

RJ you are hereby appointed Executive Vice President of League Communications. Please gather the e-mails, cell numbers, CB radio handles, HAM call signs, smoke signal mountain top locations, etc. and send 'em out! I think most have mine already. I will e-mail them to you just in case. Next draft after the first two rounds we will go with the skip rule after a certain number of hours (5 was suggested). Let me know your thoughts on a reasonable number of hours. I have no issue getting skipped if I am unable to check in and do not communicate to the group. A simple extension, or "don't skip me" request will be honored within reason, if there is communication. It is the long periods with no word or posting that incite the natives.

This is not a matter of being in a rush or a hurry, just a practical need to keep league interest running and respect everyone's time.

Thanks all for your patience and for sticking with the tourney! I think we have done well overall given the time of year.

Dan "the dragging-a$$ commish"

krazykat

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 pm

GFDWARF07 wrote:Herding cats indeed.

We will finish 26 rounds - enough said.

Our miserable league is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision! :lol:

I'm ok either way so this is fine with me. I am on the road the next couple of days without my spreadsheet but I will make a public proxy when the time comes. I don't have much left to spend anyway.

Gene
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1982, 1964, 1986, 1999