WBKL chat thread - league full. Let's rock

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: World Baseball Keeper League chat thread

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

You can't be sure who will be unleashed or be a COMP player at this point. In other words, what if we draft players that later are not unleashed, but COMP players? Can we know for sure which will be which? Is there a cutoff point for both PA's for hitters and Innings for pitchers that is concrete every season? What of performance? When you add performance to the mix (and how good is too good?) how does that make a difference in setting the players as COMP, regular, or unleashed? Because it's amount of play and performance that determines a players designation by SOM. But can we KNOW that formula 100%?

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Here's a suggestion we could implement...

What if we go into the draft knowing we will play a regular set season but we can still draft ANY player in the download. In other words, go ahead and draft fringey players (may/may not be unleashed or COMP players) but know that you can't use them if they aren't included in the regular set.

jmlopp

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Ooooh, I like that. I am not a big fan of unleashed players but this means that players drafted
as unleashed would be a risk!! Yummy!

8-)
Mike

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm

I guess we could do the same thing with an unleashed league format. Just be aware that the player you're drafting may not be eligible (turn out to be a COMP player instead).

I think the only problem with either scenario is the possibility that some people's rosters won't have enough eligible players for the first season. People might succumb to temptation and go for all the young talented fringey guys and forget they have to field a team! haha

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Hey guys, I am already in an unleashed keeper league, and am NOT thrilled about this one being one too. But I do want to start drafting! So maybe the 'take your chances' route is the way to go!

By the way, I bought the download earlier today, and this text is from the 'read me' file:

Players who are used in the computer game only have an X after the team designation.

Players who received multiple cards have an M after the team designations.

So I think we know who will only be in the computer game. Hamilton (and others mentioned) have no X next to their team designation, so I think that means that he will at least be in the unleashed set. But not useable in our league. 8-)

lakeviewdave

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 pm

How about a compromise in how we draft.

Not using Unleashed set. I am fine with that.

Draft 40 players
Then once we know who is unleashed, hold another draft for those who have unleashed players/non-carded players in online game and re-select. Order would be based on order selected in initial draft. So if Bethancourt with 1 AB is drafted in 2nd round and he is unleashed or no card, then manager would drop that player and re-draft.

What do you think?

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

bigmahon wrote:Hey guys, I am already in an unleashed keeper league, and am NOT thrilled about this one being one too. But I do want to start drafting! So maybe the 'take your chances' route is the way to go!

By the way, I bought the download earlier today, and this text is from the 'read me' file:

Players who are used in the computer game only have an X after the team designation.

So I think we know who will only be in the computer game. Hamilton (and others mentioned) have no X next to their team designation, so I think that means that he will at least be in the unleashed set. But not useable in our league. 8-)

I'm asking this because I have no idea. Can players listed outside of the COMPr game designation for now as either ADD or REG be assured they will stay that way later on? In other words, can they be added to the COMP players in time when the cards come out? I mean, SOM has made changes on ADD players from the ratings book time to the time of cards coming out.

For example, Wilson Ramos was listed as an ADD (I don't really know what ADD means) on the ratings book last season but later made it into the regular set. What I'm asking is just detail stuff. Not pertinent to the draft exactly other than to show players classification can be fluid and not necessarily static from ratings book time to cards coming out time.

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:How about a compromise in how we draft.

Not using Unleashed set. I am fine with that.

Draft 40 players
Then once we know who is unleashed, hold another draft for those who have unleashed players/non-carded players in online game and re-select. Order would be based on order selected in initial draft. So if Bethancourt with 1 AB is drafted in 2nd round and he is unleashed or no card, then manager would drop that player and re-draft.

What do you think?

I like that myself. It's really risky to go after the young fringey guys then. Because you're in real danger of wasting a draft pick.

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm

fredpaii wrote:
bigmahon wrote:Hey guys, I am already in an unleashed keeper league, and am NOT thrilled about this one being one too. But I do want to start drafting! So maybe the 'take your chances' route is the way to go!

I'm asking this because I have no idea. Can players listed outside of the COMPr game designation for now as either ADD or REG be assured they will stay that way later on? In other words, can they be added to the COMP players in time when the cards come out? I mean, SOM has made changes on ADD players from the ratings book time to the time of cards coming out.

For example, Wilson Ramos was listed as an ADD (I don't really know what ADD means) on the ratings book last season but later made it into the regular set. What I'm asking is just detail stuff. Not pertinent to the draft exactly other than to show players classification can be fluid and not necessarily static from ratings book time to cards coming out time.

Regarding Ramos, I just saw something that makes this even more interesting. I looked at the ratings download from last year this time and Ramos is listed in the regular set BUT I know he was listed under COMP or ADD in the actual book that came in the mail afterwards (yes, I get both). Then he went to regular status once the cards came out. Anyone still have last years ratings book?

bigmahon

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 3:02 pm

That sounds good to me. Assuming of course that there is not some secret source of knowledge regarding card inclusion.

We would hold the Supplemental Draft right after the cards come out. And we don't have to worry about this happening next year, since we won't be drafting from scratch ever again.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat