NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Semper Gumby

Re: NLD35 - To LD or not LD...

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi

I'm in South Korea from 23-29 March. My plans could change and will know late next week.

BigAlric

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

bigmahon wrote:
ArrylT wrote:Saturday the 22nd after 7pm Eastern should be fine - prior to that maybe but doubtful.
Sunday the 23rd is a maybe.

After 7pm EST doesn't work for me, as I am 5 hours ahead of that. Please keep in mind that we cover 8 time zones in this league, so the agreed time will always be a compromise, and never ideal for everyone. But there are a couple of options that could work for everyone. I posted these a couple of weeks back:

12n EST (9am for Joe, 5pm for BigA and me)

3pm EST (12n for Joe, 8pm for BigA and me)

22 March is good for me, either of those options above.

What the big man said applies to me too. Saturday 22nd would be very bad, Sunday 23rd no problem for me.

Semper Gumby

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 2:48 pm

If the league drafts on Sunday, 23 March, I'm aboard an United flight headed to Seoul. Unfortunately, I've not seen wi-fi service on United's Asia flights. If so, I could pull the draft off. :D

gbrookes

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Over the weekend, I sent another query re the timing of longer turns for the live draft - asking for an update. I'll let you know what I hear.

Semper Gumby

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 10:52 pm

gbrookes wrote:Over the weekend, I sent another query re the timing of longer turns for the live draft - asking for an update. I'll let you know what I hear.

Tick tock; tick tock

gbrookes

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am

They got back to me quickly. Not really soon, for longer turns.

bigmahon

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 am

Guys, I'm gonna jump out. I've posted twice with time scenarios, and maybe 3 people have bothered to comment. I no longer have faith in my ability to move this group to a consensus. Perhaps the best thing for NLD is for you all to do a Board draft, which seems to be the popular choice anyway.

I've loved every minute of my time in the league, and will miss competing with all of you. But my multiple keeper leagues will keep me busy! 8-)

Have fun all!

gbrookes

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:09 am

bigmahon wrote:Guys, I'm gonna jump out. I've posted twice with time scenarios, and maybe 3 people have bothered to comment. I no longer have faith in my ability to move this group to a consensus. Perhaps the best thing for NLD is for you all to do a Board draft, which seems to be the popular choice anyway.

I've loved every minute of my time in the league, and will miss competing with all of you. But my multiple keeper leagues will keep me busy! 8-)

Have fun all!

Feeling sad about this. This is a great group. BigMahon, let's stay in touch on this. I'll send you a PM when we get this (re) organized.

bigmahon

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Geoff, but it's not a knee jerk reaction. I've been thinking about this for awhile.

It's March 10 today, and you and I tried to get this conversation roiling 5 weeks ago. Here's my first post on the subject, from February 4:

Guys, I play a lot of fantasy baseball, and we live draft all the time. At first glance, it would seem difficult to get 12 people across 8 time zones to agree on a time, BUT I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. If we work together we can actually have the league drafted in under 2 hours. I can see Jeep smiling already!

Who's up for it?

Geoff and Stoney chimed in enthusiastically, but Joe said he didn't think it'd work (something about having to 'think long and hard'). Jeep also soon joined the 'we can do this' crew (now up to 4). Joe then quickly changed the subject to last year's set. Conversation over.

I then suggested (Feb 26) a couple of general time of day options, without mentioning a date, again trying to build consensus:

I think the bit that you are forgetting Joe is that the actual draft will be over in approx 90 minutes. I know we all have busy lives, but I'll be shocked if we can't find 90 minutes to spend online at the same time. As I said, I have been doing this sort of thing for years in my fantasy baseball and football leagues.

So let's get started. 8 hours separate Joe and me. Everyone else is in between. It will have to be a Saturday or Sunday, and off the top of my head a couple of times might make sense:

12noon EST (9am for Joe, 5pm for me)
3pm EST (noon for Joe, 8pm for me)

Any earlier would be tough for Joe, and any later becomes an issue for me. I also reserve the gap between 5 - 8pm my time for family / food time.

If we can agree one of those times in principle, then we can work on the actual date. Remember, this is only a 90 minute commitment.

Cheers,
big

This was ignored, by everyone, except Jeep who said he could work with either of those times. Meanwhile, the pressing concern was the 'who's in, who's out' post, which was/is a pointless exercise since there multiple managers were/are hinging that decision on the outcome of the 'how are we drafting' discussion (for lack of a better word).

I love the NLD, but it's not working for me anymore.

joethejet

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Big M,

I'm not sure I agree with your comment about "maybe four managers replied" From what I can tell, Nine managers checked in on the dates I posted. Since we have to replace Zim and DJ is MIA, that left only Corky to check in and he already said he didn't really want to do a live draft.

East
JAMESZIMMER - out
Jeepdriver - In anytime
bigmahon - In on above times (few posts up)
joethejet - IN either day

Central
durantjerry - no word yet. prob need to replace hasn't checked in
gbrookes - IN: Prefers Saturday
BigAlric - IN Saturday "very bad", Sunday good
Semper Gumby - IN Saturday OK, Sunday on plane.

West
Stoney18 - IN either day
nythawk129921 - In either day
ArrylT - IN Saturday "not likely", Sunday *maybe*
Corky - in w/reservations/check back in

Remember I said, "let's find a date" while I think the live draft that they have will be problematic, I am willing to try it. The problem, as I feared, is that we have such disparate time zones and schedules.

I gave my availability. While I didn't address specifically the times you suggested, I guess I just figured silence was consent. I would have sounded off, like AT and someone else did if the times didn't work for me. I agree that the times that you suggested are the ones we'll have to work with.

The biggest problem with have with the 22nd is AT's work schedule and that Semper is probably on a plane to South Korea on the 23rd. Big A can't really do the 22nd it seems while GB prefers Saturday and AT is a maybe on Sunday.

I share your frustration with finding a date. Seems that Sunday is still a possibility if Semper's schedule changes, and AT and GB can make it. I'm not sure when they will know that. AT/GB Maybe you guys can let us know when you'll know.

If Semper doesn't travel and Sunday works for GB and AT, then we'll have to find 2, maybe 3 (depending on Corky) new players that can make the date/time we have decided upon.

We can start looking at the weekend after too.

I think that is the current status.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat