NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

In all honesty, it's something that I'd been thinking about as well.

I did it. Zobrist gone, Pedoroia in.

Corky

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Wow!

Corky

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Its not as big a deal as these other expensive guys but the reason I swapped Sandavol with Prado was because of the amount of LHP in this league.

ArrylT

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Good move. Zobrist is overpriced sludge imo.

gbrookes

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 3:22 pm

I liked the aspect of Zobrist being a switch hitter. When we first did the draft, there was a more pronounced R balance among RHP in the Central division. It's still R balanced, which gives Zobrist a slight advantage, but it's not as strong an R balance as it once was. It's the same reason I'm happy with Headley at 3b. But with 40% LHP pitchers (give or take) around the league, Zobrist's 2R balance rating works against him, but it works in favor of Pedroia.

Zobrist is a somewhat better hitter against RHP (compared to Pedroia), but it's undermined a little bit by the lack of value for his 2 ballpark homerun chances vs RHP, as a lefty in Fenway.

joethejet

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 3:25 pm

I need to pay the luxury tax park tax!

And, I'm waiting for an owner to realize that he has a misfit on his squad and drop that player into my lap.

I've yet to conclude on my LF'r situation and whether I go cheap at the DH position.

Well, you have Branley so you *could* just stick with him. However it's too late, Pedroia is OFF the market!

joethejet

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 pm

gbrookes wrote:I liked the aspect of Zobrist being a switch hitter. When we first did the draft, there was a more pronounced R balance among RHP in the Central division. It's still R balanced, which gives Zobrist a slight advantage, but it's not as strong an R balance as it once was. It's the same reason I'm happy with Headley at 3b. But with 40% LHP pitchers (give or take) around the league, Zobrist's 2R balance rating works against him, but it works in favor of Pedroia.

Zobrist is a somewhat better hitter against RHP (compared to Pedroia), but it's undermined a little bit by the lack of value for his 2 ballpark homerun chances vs RHP, as a lefty in Fenway.

Zob is definitely better that Ped v RHP. Better in every category. I don't think he's overpriced as he's a 1e6 which if valuable and is pretty good v RHP, but in this league, at least what it looks like today, it would appear that Ped is a better option.

Semper Gumby

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Exciting turn of events with the trades and high priced help moving around.

And, the snap baseball comments too.

I can't wait for Joe to preview his initial thoughts

Corky

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm

I think Zobrist and Pedroia are both overpriced, actually have Zobrist rated slightly above Pedroia though. But like GB said a lot depends on the circumstances so I can see why it made more sense for him.

gbrookes

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 pm

^^^^

Corky - when you look at the run production numbers, adjust it for defence, and compare it to salary, it always seems like guys like Pedroia and Zobrist are overpriced. But I can't recall any season where I actually said to myself, man, I wish I hadn't spent all that money on that 2b (or SS) with a 1 range. I can't recall any season where I felt that way. Somehow, even if they have off seasons hitting-wise, it at least seems to be a break even with the defensive advantage.

I really like having the team fielding stats with the new strat website. It's fascinating to see the stats on outs, so I can see how many plays the 2b and SS made, and how many outs they made. It really makes you think about what they contribute with a 1 range.

Having said that, I don't always follow this advice myself. I'm not saying it's the only factor, but I went with a 2b with a 3 range in the last NLD. Not surprisingly, I wasn't that thrilled with that team.

What I think you're saying Corky is that it's hard to justify the very high salary for a good hitter with a 1 range (not a great hitter, maybe, but a good hitter). I understand what you're saying. I just don't remember ever doing that and then regretting it later.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat