Semper Gumby

Re: NLD35 - The NLD Lives on!

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 am

It's difficult to stay #1 forever.

Corky

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 pm

gbrookes wrote:^^^^

Corky - when you look at the run production numbers, adjust it for defence, and compare it to salary, it always seems like guys like Pedroia and Zobrist are overpriced. But I can't recall any season where I actually said to myself, man, I wish I hadn't spent all that money on that 2b (or SS) with a 1 range. I can't recall any season where I felt that way. Somehow, even if they have off seasons hitting-wise, it at least seems to be a break even with the defensive advantage.

I really like having the team fielding stats with the new strat website. It's fascinating to see the stats on outs, so I can see how many plays the 2b and SS made, and how many outs they made. It really makes you think about what they contribute with a 1 range.

Having said that, I don't always follow this advice myself. I'm not saying it's the only factor, but I went with a 2b with a 3 range in the last NLD. Not surprisingly, I wasn't that thrilled with that team.

What I think you're saying Corky is that it's hard to justify the very high salary for a good hitter with a 1 range (not a great hitter, maybe, but a good hitter). I understand what you're saying. I just don't remember ever doing that and then regretting it later.

You could be right about what you're saying but there are just so many fine lines when analyzing defense/injury factor etc. as compared to salary. I guess my point really is there are similar fielders who may not be too far off offensively from than those guys at a better price point. But that's just my opinion, I've certainly been wrong before. I'd love Pedroia if he was in the 6.5 mil range.

gbrookes

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 7:18 pm

^^^^ Some people have been saying that they feel that many cards seem "overpriced" this year. One that surprised me a little was Chris Davis, in terms of the salary cost. His fielding rating was a bit of a surprise to some people - that the range improved so much. The salary aspects are definitely interesting. You're right about the pricing of Pedroia and Zobrist - they're both fairly expensive.

ArrylT

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Dropped a tasty treat into the FA pool - kudos to Semper for gobbling it up quickly. 8-)

superflymacdaddyjuice

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Waited on it, but I missed this. Sad given the time I've spent moving the same 20 million over again the last few days.. I took on carps diamonds to offset rasmus departure. But it was not meant to be.

BigAlric

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 4:55 am

Anyone care to comment on my team?

Corky

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 am

BigAlric wrote:Anyone care to comment on my team?

I can't even figure out my own team quite yet! :lol:

Jeepdriver

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 10:19 am

Well I just wasn't comfortable with my starting pitching. Everth Cabrera left a couple of days ago and now I let A Gone go to upgrade the staff some more. I just never had much success with really cheap pitching because you just can't depend on out-scoring your opponent all the time. You have to have some pitching. Even though LaRoach is a big downgrade at 1B than A Gone I feel upgrading the starting pitching will do me better.

Corky

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 am

Jeepdriver wrote:Well I just wasn't comfortable with my starting pitching. Everth Cabrera left a couple of days ago and now I let A Gone go to upgrade the staff some more. I just never had much success with really cheap pitching because you just can't depend on out-scoring your opponent all the time. You have to have some pitching. Even though LaRoach is a big downgrade at 1B than A Gone I feel upgrading the starting pitching will do me better.

It's funny...at the start of the draft I was modeling my team more on offense than pitching. As it turns out I think pitching is my main strength and I'm hoping I have enough offense, which is odd being I'm a Coors team.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat