Finders Keepers Keeper League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nythawk129921

Re: Finders Keepers Keeper League Chat

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Saw this posted in another league and I like it, I've been thinking of something like this for a while now. I've never totally understood the rationale for the rule and think it can be simplified. Since I've taken over this league, I don't think its ever been enforced anyways.

PROPOSED RULE CHANGE.
Current Rule
1) You cannot trade draft choices that you do not own. This means that if you trade a 9th round draft pick, you must release as many players as necessary to ensure that you will have a 9th round pick. For example, you have a 40 man roster, and you have acquired an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round draft pick during the year. You have also traded away a 7th and 9th round draft pick. This means you must release at least 12 players prior to the draft to insure that you will have a 9th round pick. If you plan to continue drafting beyond Round 9 you will have to release an additional player for each subsequent round. You cannot drop more than 15 players.

PROPOSED NEW RULE.
Proposed Rule Change
1. You must drop enough players to get your roster to a size between 25 and 30.
2. You cannot trade draft picks past the 10th round.
3. Active roster may never be less that 25 players.

Basically like any league your draft pick are your draft picks no matter what. If you drop 10 players but have 10 picks In the first 3 rounds and you choose to trade your 8th round pick, it's yours to trade without having to drop extra players. If you don't use or trade the picks they are just forfeited. Maybe I've never fully understood the rationale for the rule but it seems to punish someone who acquires extra picks.

2nd rule (addition)
Another rule I would like to see implemented is not a rule change but just an addition. In order to protect the league I would like to add a rule that you cannot trade picks more than 1 year in advance. For example this year you can obviously trade 2015 picks and trading 2016 picks is acceptable as well. What I wouldn't want is guys trading 2017 or 2018 picks. How I see this protecting the league is if an owner decided to trade away a ton of future picks and then quit the league, good luck finding a replacement owner if he has no prospect picks for the next 4 years.

Please vote
1.Rosco-YES/YES
2.Ironwill- YES/YES
3.Peter- YES/YES
4.Ninersphan FIRM NO (see above explanation)/YES
5. hawk NO/YES

nythawk129921

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 pm

I totally agree with Bill here.How can you trade something you no longer have??? If you have a full 40 man roster after say round 7 you are now done with the draft . Just because it is a "10" round draft you dont keep drafting in round 8,9,and 10 just because you are ENTITLED to those picks so how can you trade them if your roster is full???? Once you are at 40 you are done drafting,period. Same thing happened last year in one of the leagues pertaining to prospect picks.One of the owners had a full 10 man prospect roster so he tried trading his 3rd and 4th rd prospect picks for picks in the following years prospect draft.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Regardless I'd like to get rule 2 voted in soon and keep working on the first. At the end of the day my main goal with the rule is to not punish guys for acquiring extra picks. It's never made sense to me. And in a way so what if a guy trades a 9th rnd pick he doesn't technically have, what's he really getting out of it?

Ninersphan

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Roscodog wrote:Regardless I'd like to get rule 2 voted in soon and keep working on the first. At the end of the day my main goal with the rule is to not punish guys for acquiring extra picks. It's never made sense to me. And in a way so what if a guy trades a 9th rnd pick he doesn't technically have, what's he really getting out of it?

Then where do you draw the line.

This isn't the NFL where we know going in that it's a 7 round draft, we have a flexible draft based on the cuts guys do, it could be ten or it could be 15, if some guy cuts ten and someone else cuts 15 does the guy that cut ten now have imaginary 11-5th round picks to swap for a prospect pick, because the guy that has 15 made it a 15 round draft?

I really think it opens a bigger can of worms than you realize.

The rule as it exists also forces guys to actually pay attention to what they are trading and what's on their roster. It forces them to make tough decisions about keeping guys or cutting them, which is also part of the intent of the rule.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Not that this would happen but it was a point brought up in another league. If 2 guys swapped all 10 of there picks the guy with the lower of the 10th rnd picks would have to drop 11 players as the rule stands. That makes no sense.

Ninersphan

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Roscodog wrote:Not that this would happen but it was a point brought up in another league. If 2 guys swapped all 10 of there picks the guy with the lower of the 10th rnd picks would have to drop 11 players as the rule stands. That makes no sense.

Please explain that, cause I don't see that at all.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

As the rule is written you wouldn't have a 10th rnd pick to trade in this instance as your draft would be done a few picks earlier.

Ninersphan

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Roscodog wrote:As the rule is written you wouldn't have a 10th rnd pick to trade in this instance as your draft would be done a few picks earlier.

How do you figure, unless you are leaving something out of this example. If it's before the draft and they both swap, it's 10 picks for ten picks. Once they cut ten they have a tenth rounder to use, whether it's a trade or not.

I don't see any scenario, what you are describing fits.

Roscodog

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Well see maybe I'm reading it wrong.

So in that case as long as someone has a 10th round pick and has to use it they are safe from having to drop extra players.

Also only need 3 more yes votes to have the trading of future picks rule passed. :D

tcochran

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Saw this posted in another league and I like it, I've been thinking of something like this for a while now. I've never totally understood the rationale for the rule and think it can be simplified. Since I've taken over this league, I don't think its ever been enforced anyways.

PROPOSED RULE CHANGE.
Current Rule
1) You cannot trade draft choices that you do not own. This means that if you trade a 9th round draft pick, you must release as many players as necessary to ensure that you will have a 9th round pick. For example, you have a 40 man roster, and you have acquired an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round draft pick during the year. You have also traded away a 7th and 9th round draft pick. This means you must release at least 12 players prior to the draft to insure that you will have a 9th round pick. If you plan to continue drafting beyond Round 9 you will have to release an additional player for each subsequent round. You cannot drop more than 15 players.

PROPOSED NEW RULE.
Proposed Rule Change
1. You must drop enough players to get your roster to a size between 25 and 30.
2. You cannot trade draft picks past the 10th round.
3. Active roster may never be less that 25 players.

Basically like any league your draft pick are your draft picks no matter what. If you drop 10 players but have 10 picks In the first 3 rounds and you choose to trade your 8th round pick, it's yours to trade without having to drop extra players. If you don't use or trade the picks they are just forfeited. Maybe I've never fully understood the rationale for the rule but it seems to punish someone who acquires extra picks.

2nd rule (addition)
Another rule I would like to see implemented is not a rule change but just an addition. In order to protect the league I would like to add a rule that you cannot trade picks more than 1 year in advance. For example this year you can obviously trade 2015 picks and trading 2016 picks is acceptable as well. What I wouldn't want is guys trading 2017 or 2018 picks. How I see this protecting the league is if an owner decided to trade away a ton of future picks and then quit the league, good luck finding a replacement owner if he has no prospect picks for the next 4 years.

Please vote
1.Rosco-YES/YES
2.Ironwill- YES/YES
3.Peter- YES/YES
4.Ninersphan FIRM NO (see above explanation)/YES
5. hawk NO/YES
6. tcochran - NO/YES
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat