1st NAKL Chat: LOCKED RULES ON PAGE 1

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: NAKL Chat:

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 pm

schnoogens wrote:Schnoogens trades Kyle Lohse and the #14 pick in the spring draft to MKL for John Jay.

MKL to confirm.

I'm sure that means I just get another pick at the end of the draft

Ok I've looked at this even more closely. Couple of things for your situation.

1. You have a full roster of 40

2. you've traded your 2nd rd, 9th rd and 10th rd round picks

3. you have 4 prospects that need to be promoted or released this year.

4. you have acquired enough extra draft picks, that you have 13 picks through the first 8 rounds.

First things first;

1. You can't start the draft at anywhere over 30 active players, that means a minimum of 10 cuts, which takes care of trading away your 2nd 9th and 10th round picks.

2. Assuming you want to keep all 4 prospects, you will need to make 4 more cuts (now we're up to 14 cuts)

3. However that will only leave you with a roster of 30, or 10 picks, which you will have made by the 6th round.

4. Which means you will be forfeiting your two 7th round picks and your 8th round pick unless you make 3 more cuts which brings you to 17. I don't have a problem with the extra cuts, even though the rules currently state you can only cut 15. I am planning to revise the rules to allow for more than 15 cuts (I'll explain why, and what the rationale was for limiting it to 15, when I revise the rule) to permit you to make those picks.

5. But it does mean that you effectively get nothing for your trade of Kyle Gibson to roscodog for his 7th round pick in February of last year, which you may or may not have a problem with.

6. If you do not make the 17 cuts prior to the draft, you forfeit those 3 picks and the rights to trade them as well. If we didn't do it that way it would effectively give you a roster of 43 and that's not allowed. I just want that clear before we start making cuts.

Just want to let you know where you stand. ;)

One thing is for sure though, you most DEFINITELY are not getting an "extra pick" at the end of the draft as a result of this trade, I'm not even sure why you thought that would be the case, given all the extra picks you've acquired. :shock:

Ninersphan

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 pm

Jerlins wrote:I'll begin with this list and take it further at some point.
Partial Wish List:

Rendon
Bogaerts
Spangenberg
Yelich
C. Seager
Simmons
Cashner
Owens
Pederson

Think we've already gone down this road, but feel free to make me an offer. I really don't want to move him though.

That said here' my wish list:

A Eaton
T d'Arnaud
J Upton
A Gordon
S Van Slyke
M Ozuna
L Cain
E Hosmer
A Rizzo
B Crawford
N Syndergaard
Z Wheeler
J deGrom

Jerlins

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 12:36 am

What??? Only 3 Mets? I'm surprised. Let me see here. Oooh I have one :o :o

Ninersphan

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 1:09 am

Jerlins wrote:What??? Only 3 Mets? I'm surprised. Let me see here. Oooh I have one :o :o

Look again, there's 4 ;-)

Jerlins

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 1:13 am

Ninersphan wrote:
Jerlins wrote:What??? Only 3 Mets? I'm surprised. Let me see here. Oooh I have one :o :o

Correct. (sits wondering how I can get DeGrom on his team)

Ninersphan

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Jerlins wrote:
Ninersphan wrote:

Correct. (sits wondering how I can get DeGrom on his team)

If you want to trade de Grom (and yes it's spelled with a lowercase "d" as is d'Arnaud) for Cashner I'm all ears, but I'm betting you don't. ;)

Roscodog

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 pm

Looking to acquire a 2nd round prospect pick. Will trade my 2016 2nd round prospect pick in return.

Ninersphan

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 3:50 pm

RULES CLARIFICATIONS

All, I have amended rule 2, and added rule 8 to the rules for the Spring draft. These are not new rules but clarification of how the rules are, and have been, enforced. I'm pasting them here, but I've also already changed them on page one, and they will go out with the next version of the league spread sheet.

If there's questions ( and I expect there will be) please ask and I'll try to explain. I think I've finally gotten down. (at least I got rosco to understand it.)

2) All owners must drop enough players to bring their rosters to a maximum of 30 players allowing for 10 draft picks; Owners can drop more players, to allow for picks into the 15th round and/or to allow for prospects to be promoted from the prospect roster. It would be possible to cut up to 25 players in this scenario. However no team will allowed to draft past the 15th round, with one exception. In the event a trade occurs during the draft that is unbalanced that would leave a team with less than 40 players at the end of their predetermined last round, that player would be awarded a Supplemental draft pick at the end of the draft to bring their roster to 40. If this happens with multiple teams, the draft order would follow the same order as earlier rounds.

8) It is possible that a manager may have to forfeit picks in the draft in the event that by his cuts, he may picks left however due to acquiring extra picks in early rounds his roster is full. Eg. A manger, through trades, has acquired 2 extra picks in the 1st round, 1 extra pick in the 2nd and 1 extra pick in the 4th and 1 in the 7th, giving him 13 picks in the first 8 rounds. He has also traded away his 9th and 10th round picks. Assuming he only cuts 10 ( which he needs to do to not only get down to 30, but to be able to trade his 9th and 10th round picks), he would be done drafting in Round 6 and forfeit his two 7th and one 8th round picks. He also forfeits the right to trade those picks once it is discovered his roster would be full after round 6. In order to not forfeit those picks, he'd have to make 3 additional cuts.

As these are not NEW rules, simply explanations of how the rules have been enforced they do not require a vote.

Ninersphan

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 11:36 am

lakeviewdave is in a similar situation to what I described for schnoogens:

1. Roster at 38

2. Traded 1st, 5th and 10th round draft picks.

3. has 2 prospects that need to be released

4. has acquired enough extra draft picks that he has 10 picks in the first 8 rounds

Can't start the draft with a roster over 30 players which means:

1. a minimum of 8 cuts, that accounts for the traded draft picks up to the tenth round

2. assuming you want to keep the 2 prospects, he'll need 2 more cuts (now up to 10 cuts)

3. that would leave him with a roster at 30, giving him 10 picks, which he'll be done with by round 8

4. which means that as of right now, if he wants to make the 9th round pick or trade the 9th round pick, he will have to make one more cut (11 cuts, counting the cuts for prospects), otherwise as of now he forfeits all picks from the 9th round on.

lakeviewdave

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 12:08 pm

No issues with the FA draft process as Ninersphan has described.

Agree that you lose picks if you cannot use them to get to a max of 40, and cannot deal them as well.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat