Negro Leagues vs MLB *NeL Draft*

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rosie2167

Re: Negro Leagues vs MLB

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Digging the Black Barons, fitting with Mays on your squad.

BDWard

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 10:55 pm

CTStough wrote:PS. The Negro Leaguers are going to get killed. I don't see how we can win this thing.

That was my initial reaction as well. I think a cap of $100 mil would give them a better chance.

As it stands now, with a $120 mil cap, I think the NeL talent is stretched too thin. The starting pitching isn't deep enough, the defense is suspect and they are too injury prone.

Although I hope that I'm wrong, at a cap of $120 mil, I think 3 NeL teams could have been competitive, but not 6.

Rosie2167

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 pm

If 100 mil is the right number than lets bat that around a bit and see if that works for the rest of the owners. As always appreciate the inputs!

rburgh

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Good with this manager who chose the MLB side of the equation. I doubt anybody could have put together a $110 million payroll. There just aren't 6 of anything, let alone 24 SP's, to get to a high cap. Of course high priced bench players will be the norm.

bontomn

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 11:53 pm

I agree that the talent pool for the NeL teams is WAY too small. But I am--and always have been--adamantly opposed to changing a league's rules midway through the draft. We all knew what we signed up for: a different kind of league that sounded like fun. It cuts against the grain to hear proposals that we adjust things now. That's something that should have been done before we started

tomwistar

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 12:02 am

I guess I disagree ... from the very first post, the league has emphasized flexibility. "But as always open for discussion. ... Other restrictions will depend on how the NeL teams shape up." The template set by the commish has been open-endedness with the rules, seeing what works out to be most fair for both NeL and MLB teams.

That said ... I don't want to pick a team until we get more details ironed out. So let's get some clarity, please.

BDWard

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 am

bontomn wrote:I agree that the talent pool for the NeL teams is WAY too small. But I am--and always have been--adamantly opposed to changing a league's rules midway through the draft. We all knew what we signed up for: a different kind of league that sounded like fun. It cuts against the grain to hear proposals that we adjust things now. That's something that should have been done before we started

tomwistar wrote:I guess I disagree ... from the very first post, the league has emphasized flexibility. "But as always open for discussion. ... Other restrictions will depend on how the NeL teams shape up." The template set by the commish has been open-endedness with the rules, seeing what works out to be most fair for both NeL and MLB teams.

That said ... I don't want to pick a team until we get more details ironed out. So let's get some clarity, please.

Good points by both and both are correct. Like bontomn, I, too, am generally against changing rules on the fly, but tomwistar makes a valid point as well. This league has always been a work in progress and Rosie has done a good job addressing manager concerns. This is a difficult theme to put together, and I don't recall having seen one done like this in the past, so there is no precedent to rely upon or tweak and there is no instruction manual. Even at $100 mil, I still think the MLB teams will have an advantage, but it will be closer, as they won't be able to load up on pitching, the NeL weakness at higher caps, like they would at $120 mil.

While I certainly can understand the reasons against changing the rules, we are still very early in this evolving process and I doubt anyone who has already selected would have done anything differently at a $100 mil cap.

Lowering the cap to $100 mil is not a major change, but it does level the playing field a little more and helps make the league more competitive. I'm in favor of it. - Bernie

modmark46

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 am

I'm fine with whatever the majority decides. I am so busy learning my new job (medical receptionist) that I've barely had time to follow the discussion/rule changes here. I have PMd my RD 1 proxy picks to Rosie. I'll check back in after 5pm tonight. It'll be a fun theme, whatever we settle on.

Musial6

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 am

I'm good with whatever the majority decides - I'll just go with the flow.

reggie reigns

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am

I agree that the NeL teams will have a tough go...and 6 NeL teams will dilute the talent a bit. But, I also think the MLB talent will be thinner (but probably still superior) being limited to the 1920-1955 players. I'm open to a cap change (100 mil sounds about right), but am also happy to go with the flow.

One idea...what if we let the remaining teams choose between NeL and MLB teams...so potentially we end up only 3 NeL teams, and 9 MLB teams...we can leave it up to the managers. Just an idea.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat