Negro Leagues vs MLB *NeL Draft*

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rosie2167

Re: Negro Leagues vs MLB

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

Almost...bontomn you're up. Once we have these final two initial picks I'll summarize where we are.

tks for your continued patience
Rosie

bontomn

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 pm

1. nels52 - KC Monarchs
2. Musial6 - MLB - Babe Ruth
3. Reggie reigns - Homestead Grays
4. Andycummings65 - MLB- Rogers Hornsby
5. rburgh - MLB - Arky Vaughan
6. CTStough- Birmingham Black Barons; Jackie Robinson (Mays, Jones, Lloyd)
8. lanier64 - MLB - Musial
9. tomwistar - Newark Eagles & Biz Mackey
10. Modmark - MLB Double XX Jimmy Foxx
11. BDWard - MLB - Joe Dimaggio
12. bontomn - Pittsburgh Crawfords
7. Rosie2167

Rosie2167

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 1:36 pm

thanks! bontomn please post your additional player from the Crawford selection pool.

1. nels52 - KC Monarchs
3. Reggie reigns - Homestead Grays
6. CTStough- Birmingham Black Barons; Jackie Robinson (Mays, Jones, Lloyd)
9. tomwistar - Newark Eagles & Biz Mackey
12. bontomn - Pittsburgh Crawfords
7. Rosie2167 - Chicago American Giants, Superman Pennington, South Side Park NeL

Rosie2167

Re: Negro Leagues vs MLB *Stadiums*

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:13 pm

bontomn, for easy reference here's your pool...
Roy Campanella – 7.51
Rap Dixon – 6.82
Dick Redding – 6.04
William Bell – 5.51

1. nels52 - KC Monarchs, Ernie Banks PICK A STADIUM...Muehlebach Fld or Ruppert Stadium
3. Reggie reigns - Homestead Grays, Judd Wilson, Forbes '41
6. CTStough- Birmingham Black Barons; Jackie Robinson (Mays, Jones, Lloyd) PICK A STADIUM any NeL EXCEPT Cath Prep Oval, Mack Park or Stars Park
9. tomwistar - Newark Eagles & Biz Mackey, Ruppert Stadium
12. bontomn - Pittsburgh Crawfords PICK A PLAYER from above, Greenlee Field
7. Rosie2167 - Chicago American Giants, Superman Pennington, South Side Park NeL

I realize that the Monarchs could potentially pick the same stadium as the Eagles, I didn't catch that before, I'd just assign Muehlebach to the Monarchs but it is drastically different from Ruppert, so I don't want to yank that out from under nels52 if he had his heart set on it. I'm not going to worry about one of the NeL teams playing in the same stadium at this point. Barons I would prefer that you not pick one of the NeL stadiums listed though.

MLB Teams...time to pick your stadiums, BDWard please select. 1920 - 1955 and not NeL stadiums. IMO I don't think drafting a stadium should take the place of the next pick in the draft, so I would prefer we go back to BDWard once we start drafting players.

So this post doesn't get to loaded I'll hit submit now and publish the player parameters and next steps in my next post.
tks
Rosie

BDWard

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Rosie, since the cap has been lowered to $100 mil, I would like to again request that the NeL teams be allowed to draft any price subs from the MLB pool and that MLB teams be able to do the same. Note that after the 8 starting position players, all teams will have 5-6 subs, meaning that the 6 NeL teams will need 30-36 subs. Note that the 35 LEAST expensive NeL individual players (averaging about 6 per team) range from a low of $1.30 mil for Jimmie Crutchfield to $4.96 mil for Sammy Hughes (I did not count the position player cards for Donaldson, Double Duty Radcliffe and Mendez, as they will likely pitch, nor did I count the cheaper cards of Mackey and Cool Papa Bell, as the more expensive cards will likely be used).

Teams should have their money, and best players, on the filed, rather than unnecessarily languishing unused on the bench. The subs will hardly play anyway, so why would we want to dilute the pool of the best NeL players against the best MLB players from that era by having expensive subs, which means less money will be available for front line players? Having expensive subs also runs counter to supplementing the NeL players with expensive black MLB stars who played in the NeL.

Let's put the best players on the field and not tie up money on the bench that would be better used to improve the quality of the players who will be on the field at least 95% of the time. I respectfully request that you reconsider and let all teams use subs from the MLB player pool with no limitations on the price of the subs.

BDWard

Re: Negro Leagues vs MLB *MLB Stadium time*

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Rosie: I apologize, but I've reconsidered and would like to make Ted Williams my franchise player pick. Since I picked the last MLB team and it impacted no initial picks before or after me, I expect that this will not be a problem.

1. nels52 - KC Monarchs, Ernie Banks PICK A STADIUM...Muehlebach Fld or Ruppert Stadium
6. CTStough- Birmingham Black Barons; Jackie Robinson (Mays, Jones, Lloyd) PICK A STADIUM any NeL EXCEPT Cath Prep Oval, Mack Park or Stars Park
11. BDWard - MLB - Ted Williams, League Park '34
12. bontomn - Pittsburgh Crawfords PICK A PLAYER from above, Greenlee Field

Rosie2167

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 3:01 pm

I hear what you're saying and appreciate your input. I realize this is counter-intuitive to how we build our teams...$$ on the field! But this is what I'm struggling with...when I thought about this concept I envisioned pure NeL rosters vs pure MLB rosters. Now we can't help the RP situation since the NeL just don't have them. But one of the scenario's I want to avoid (and something you correctly pointed out Bernie) is Gibson, Suttles or Dihigo get injured for 15 games, now we have a non-NeL player impacting the games. Also something about having Buck O'Neil or Jose Mendez winning a game late with a PH just seems right and with no DH that is realistic.

There has been great feedback around talent pool and suggested changes (the $100 mil cap seems like an excellent change). I'm in the middle of tweaking the parameters just a bit based on some late night crunching (based on all the input), and everyone is dead on, pitching depth and backups are the gaps. I have some ideas that I will present here in a few minutes....so let me respectfully ask you guys, hang with me on this concept and let's build the NeL teams and then set up our MLB teams to match up.

R

CTStough

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Do I have to pick a Nel Park- if so Terrapin, if not......

bontomn

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Rosie: I apologize, but I've reconsidered and would like to make Ted Williams my franchise player pick. Since I picked the last MLB team and it impacted no initial picks before or after me, I expect that this will not be a problem.

11. BDWard - MLB - Ted Williams, League Park '34
12. bontomn - Pittsburgh Crawfords Roy Campanella, Greenlee Field

modmark46

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Are we going backwards for our stadium picks? If it's my turn to select a stadium, I choose Shibe '41 (AL).
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat