The sub $5M Rotation

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mbertolli

The sub $5M Rotation

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like there are a lot more rotations being put together this season for $5M and under, and they're winning!

Is anyone else noticing this?

I've only tried this once, a few years ago, and I got crushed.

What's the strategy when putting these teams together?

Michael.

Ninersphan

Re: The sub $5M Rotation

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 4:12 pm

mbertolli wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like there are a lot more rotations being put together this season for $5M and under, and they're winning!

Michael.

You mean the WHOLE rotaion is sub 5mil?? or each guy is sub 5mil?

l.strether

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 4:19 pm

I haven't been scrutinizing other teams as much in the last few years, but I still can't say I've noticed such low-cost rotations being particularly prevalent. Are you playing in any particular types of leagues? I did think about some of my past teams with cheap rotations, and the closest I came were these two:

Here's a 2002 team where I stripped down the rotation, mid-season, to almost a sub-5 mil one. It went on to win 51 games in the second half and make the playoffs:
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/551975

And here's another 2002 team that made the finals with every starter in a 5-man rotation having less than 2 mil in salary, but the salary still eclipsed 5m:
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/558653

As you can see, both I spent generously on both teams' bullpens, and I would imagine that would be par for the course for any teams with sub-5-m rotations.

blue turtle

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 4:33 pm

mbertolli wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like there are a lot more rotations being put together this season for $5M and under, and they're winning!

Michael.

I have had success with rotations where no member is about $5M, but needed Dellin Betances to make it work.

mbertolli

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 4:50 pm

I mean the whole rotation!

Here's one from the the players champ. 91 Wins!
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1400848
Last edited by mbertolli on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l.strether

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 5:16 pm

blue turtle wrote:I have had success with rotations where no member is about $5M, but needed Dellin Betances to make it work.

I would imagine most managers have had some, if not a lot of, success with rotations where no member is about $5M. That's not quite the feat winning with a sub-5M rotation is.

blue turtle

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 5:39 pm

l.strether wrote:
blue turtle wrote:I have had success with rotations where no member is about $5M, but needed Dellin Betances to make it work.

I would imagine most managers have had some, if not a lot of, success with rotations where no member is about $5M. That's not quite the feat winning with a sub-5M rotation is.

Will it make you feel better if I edit "about" to "above," or do you still feel the need to attempt to diminish the feat?

blue turtle

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Michael.

No, I haven't seen any teams winning in the leagues that I have been playing with that kind of rotation. But If you are going to get 200+ innings from Wade Davis and have that kind of hitting, I can see why they won.

l.strether

PostMon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 pm

blue turtle wrote:
l.strether wrote:

Will it make you feel better if I edit "about" to "above," or do you still feel the need to attempt to diminish the feat?

Don't be so sensitive. I didn't attempt to diminish anything; I correctly noted your so-called feat wasn't much of a feat. And your changing your wording won't change that. I am sorry that I hurt your feelings, though. If it would make you feel better to feel winning with sub-5-M starters is a feat, knock yourself out.

milleram

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 2:07 am

I was in that league too--I led the league in runs scored, had a much better staff--makes me feel like I don't have any clue how to put a team together.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx