Golden era 5 round player draft- Drafts complete!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MARCPELLETIER

Re: Golden era 24 team theme lg.-filled! Pls. check in!

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 pm

About the 1-player lost per round

Sounds good, but it has this consequence: If the Cards select Jack Clark---then the Giants can't loose another player, and therefore the Pirates cannot draft Bonds even though they are ahead of the Giants.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 6:15 pm

I think it should be more than 1 player per team can be picked in a round. Look at the other side of your argument, The teams that pick 18-24 in the free agent pool are gonna be stuck not being able to protect their core guys because 17 or more other teams have already picked players that could be from the teams you are choosing from.

If that doesn't make sense, call me and I'll explain it better by phone. sending you my number.

Just imagine you are picking 18th in the FA draft and your best 4 core guys are still out there to lock up, but you can't protect any of them because other players have already locked up guys that are on the teams in question.

Say my top 4 guys I want to protect are multi-carded as such

Player 1: my team + Cardinals
Player 2: my team + Yankees
Player 3: my team + Pirates
Player 4: my team + Cubs

and luckily none have been claimed by the Cards, Yanks, Pirates, or cubs....but....in the first 17 rounds someone has claimed a guy that was also carded to cardinals (so I can't pick player 1) and someone else took a Yankee (so I can't pick player 2) and so on.

now I'm screwed just cuz I'm down at the bottom of the FA draft even though the guys I want to protect are still available.

I understand your reasoning, just saying it should probably be that you cant lose 2 or 3 per round....that would help mitigate the problem I am trying to explain
Paul

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 6:20 pm

This is a HUGE rule though due to the small set size and the free-agency period of the era causing players to be on multiple franchises (multi-carded players) and so please make an OFFICIAL rule before we start drafting.

The more I look at the set and all the multi-carded players, the more I'm inclined to say it should be that you can't lose more than 2 or 3 in a round. so once 2 Pirates are taken no one can take a multi-carded Pirates player or once 3 Pirates are taken.....

MARCPELLETIER

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Getting imaginative here, but what about this:

Say Pirates have first pick. They pick up Barry Bonds. Bonds has a SF card. Then automatically, The Giants have second pick, no matter the draft order. Giants pick up Jack Clark. Then the Cards have third pick. If the Cards pick up a player from an available franchise (say Jimmy Key if nobody has drafted Toronto), then we go back to the next team in the pre-determined draft order.

Picks in the second round might follow the same logic (the first to lose a second player in the first round will have the first pick in the 2nd round).

For players with three franchises, only the franchises from the two most expensive cards are involved.

This way, no team would lose more than one player before they make a selection (except for players with 3 franchises, but the 3rd franchise usually has a lesser valuable card)
Last edited by MARCPELLETIER on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 6:36 pm

I think we're ok by just limiting it to you can't lose more than 2....so once 2 have been taken, you must look elsewhere until the next round. There are enough other players to go after that way. and that still gives the guys at the bottom of the FA round a chance to get a solid guy and then turn around and get a better guy in round 2 if needed. better because the "block" will be lifted as it's a new round

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm looking at teams....only 31 White Sox players total...ouch. and Cleveland with only 35....

luckily the guys that have those franchises will probably picking near the end of the team draft and can lock up the most important multi-carded guys early and take some non-franchise players later if needed.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 7:07 pm

geoff,

question as I am re-reading the initial rules. am I right that I could have up to 10 or so players that had nothing to do with my franchise.

it looks like after I get my 15 guys I can autodraft anyone I please.

if so, that opens it up a ton and resolves some issues.

for example if I'm the Reds, I put my 5 free agent picks in spots 1-5, then 6-15 go to players that had to play for the Reds franchise, then anyone who wasn't picked in the 5-round player draft. Even Mattingly, Ripken, etc.... although I probably wouldn't get them as the Yanks and Orioles probably put them in their 6-15 spots on their Autodraft card.

is this correct? if so the 16-25 spots and the subsequent waivers picks will be pretty important

CTStough

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 pm

In.

Also, I don't think there should be any restrictions on multi player cards. Keep it simple.

or, assuming there are some franchises with poor roster size, give restrictions. to those rosters but not others. Or perhaps, only those teams can pick off the non drafted rosters in the first round.

CTStough

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 9:36 pm

OK. Another suggestion.
We may want to reduce the number of franchise picks to 5 and have those players declared, so they can't be drafted,

then open it up to auto drafting any player not claimed in the draft or franchise claim. (making sure the auto draft card is filled in with claims 11-25)

Most of these teams will suck balls otherwise. The player pool is too shallow for some of these franchises-

There are only 26 franchise to choose from and the 20-26 pool is fairly weak (which has become readily apparent, now that I know I'm drafting 18th :))

That leaves only two of the most awful franchise to use as fillers for the poor folks- for 24 teams. They'll need more than that.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 pm

but you are missing that you only need 15 from your franchise. That means you can have 10 guys that are carded to other players' franchises.(not just the 2 unclaimed ones) Thus, this is not a true franchise league in that you only get one franchise. It's just that you get first crack at getting your 15 core guys before people can put guys exclusive to your franchise on their AD card in picks 16-25.

so, even the thin franchises can be fine. For example, Cleveland can find 15 guys out of their 30+ to get their core group, then their last 10 guys (or anyone's last 10 guys) can come from ANY franchise. That's why they got at picks 16-25 on your AD card... thus if you want a guy that is franchised to you, you have to either a.) also pick him in the 5-rd draft (if a multi-carded guy) or b.) put him in your 6-15 spots on your AD card. Cuz after spot 15, EVERYONE IS FREE GAME.

geoff, make sure I've communicated that correctly, please.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats