So, Id like to debate the rules...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Salty

Re: So, Id like to debate the rules...

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Hows this?
This is an example of how a person can really do something great imo. I know for a billionaire 20k aint much, but its still meaningful- and sets the right example.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/billionaire-ty-warner-gives-woman-20-000-her-165731962.html

BTW- BKEAT- thats a freakin great sketch :D :D
Im watching it again now.

dharmabums

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes, if you're going to have a user discussion forum, then there should be rules about decorum and such. And yes, these rules tend to be poorly defined and vague, by and large. The part that worries me is the application of "Comments meant to be destructive to the community, any individual within the community, the game company, or its staff". This whole thing about comments that are destructive of the company. I really don't think such a thing is possible. Please somebody, give me an example of a comment that will destroy SOM. Are they really that weak, that they will no longer exist because of comments made here? I believe they are more worried about their facebook page. And, I have seen nothing in the comments that would come even close to being destructive of the community, individual, game company or staff, other than some individuals trying to shut up the complainers. The greater threat to the company is its own behavior (companies are people too, as one of our presidential candidates has reminded us ;) ). Do they respect their customer base? Do they give any indication of hearing their customer base? That is, other than declaring a clear threat to delete unruly customers from the SOM community, based on a vague notion of inappropriate behavior, that will be defined and enforced by unknown people, behind a magic curtain.

As I've said in other forums, I've had good responses from the email help, regarding simple technical things (like why did the semifinal schedules get screwed up?). And I know that they had a reasonably quick response to another manager having his team salary cap go from $200M to $165M right when the waivers frenzy started. They fixed his salary cap, but not before he lost out on key opportunities to upgrade draft holes in his roster. Have they "made things right" by him yet? Not holding my breath. Do they really not understand the level of frustration that exists here? OR are they just doing the "weather the storm" kind of thing?

I'm wondering who will be the first person to get kicked out of this forum, and what will be the statements that are deemed unacceptable. Nothing so far has met the proposed standard, that I've seen, and I tend to watch these forums pretty regularly. But then SOM might have a pretty quick delete trigger.

dharmabums

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOVE Monty Python.

216 Stitches

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Kudos (again) to bkeat for posting that sketch. All time classic IMHO.

dharmabums wrote:I'm wondering who will be the first person to get kicked out of this forum, and what will be the statements that are deemed unacceptable. Nothing so far has met the proposed standard, that I've seen, and I tend to watch these forums pretty regularly. But then SOM might have a pretty quick delete trigger.

Good post. I might add one thing: their policy states that they will only
act if a community based moderator brings it to their attention. So it
would appear that nothing will happen until one is appointed.

If I were to advise SOM (and I don't) I would have suggsted they offer
posters the chance to self-edit before action is taken. And I might note,
even as the policy is writtin, it appears that a moderator could offer posters
a chance to self-edit before reporting it up the chain. It appears to be allowable
within the framework of their policy.

Salty

NOW IM FREAKING PISSED OFF!!!!

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Dear Manager,

This letter is a warning for violating the terms of the Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online Forum Rules and/or the Strat-O-Matic Terms of Service. While we encourage Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online users to participate in the forum, users need to abide by the rules in order to create a positive experience for the community.

Your posts in the thread “So, I’d like to debate the rules” broke the established forum policy.

For a complete reminder of the Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online Forum Rules, please visit the following link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=763

Please remember that this forum is provided for the community to promote healthy discussion of Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online and conduct detrimental to that will not be tolerated. If further violations occur, Strat-O-Matic may need to either suspend or terminate your account depending on the nature of the violation.

We hope you continue to enjoy Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online in the future and can positively contribute to the forum going forward.

Salty

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:07 pm

This is the very example of what Ive been saying.

They are sooo concerned with protecting 'the company'- not others feelings.

GO to hades!

...and heres why: Instead of coming on here like a human being would and talking- you stay behind the scenes and make arbitrary decisions.
Its the same stuff that ruins the game, and I can only say its quite cowardly.
In the old days- Bernie would come on- state his reasons for why a decision was being handed down, discuss and at least acted like a what my grandmother called a mensch.
Bernie, if you are here and any part of this- you ought to be crying right now. HOW far this has fallen.

nevdully's

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Believe me this has Bernie's blessing.

Salty

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 5:34 pm

nevdully's wrote:Believe me this has Bernie's blessing.

If it were my baby and I were Bernie-
Id be up in arms.
If he isnt- then reap what you sow. We have tried to tell you since the move that this is not the way to behave and keep the game that YOU shepherded together.
So be it.

dharmabums

Re: NOW IM FREAKING PISSED OFF!!!!

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Salty wrote:Dear Manager,

This letter is a warning for violating the terms of the Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online Forum Rules and/or the Strat-O-Matic Terms of Service. While we encourage Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online users to participate in the forum, users need to abide by the rules in order to create a positive experience for the community.

Your posts in the thread “So, I’d like to debate the rules” broke the established forum policy.

For a complete reminder of the Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online Forum Rules, please visit the following link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=763

Please remember that this forum is provided for the community to promote healthy discussion of Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online and conduct detrimental to that will not be tolerated. If further violations occur, Strat-O-Matic may need to either suspend or terminate your account depending on the nature of the violation.

We hope you continue to enjoy Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online in the future and can positively contribute to the forum going forward.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE!!!!

and yes I'm pissed off enough to be cursing in caps. Is that poor decorum too?

agabriel

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Salty wrote:They are sooo concerned with protecting 'the company'- not others feelings.

This is a money quote, imho.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats