D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 pm

And don't forget we still need enough mlb players on our teams to enter in the league...two C's and the rest of the position requirements in addition to at least four pure RPs and at least five mlb SP's with a total of 11 usable mlb pitchers.

I knew this prospect thing was a nightmare.

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:What you have is correct.

You can't trade a pick you don't have but this is tricky as he could have traded it away before acquiring an extra prospect. We may have to discuss if the "can't trade a pick you don't have" should apply to the Prospect draft because it can get messy. But yes. as the rules stand now, he can't trade his 4th rd pros pick as he doesn't have one.

As for the other issue. There are ONLY 4 rounds in the Prospect draft. we don't add picks to max out your prospects. Thus, in Eddie E's case he currently has 3 picks in the Prospect draft since he traded his 2nd rd Pros pick to Rosco in transaction #31. So he is not "drafting 6"

I disagree. As I interpret it that 4th round pick is an asset of mine until all drops and promotions become final. Once those become final, then yes, any picks that would take me beyond roster maximums would be forfeited, but until then I see no reason why they should not be allowed to be used as assets. I can think of a plethora of examples that help justify this thinking. I won't bore you unless you ask me to.

Once the deadline is past, then I would agree with your determination.

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

What if, for example, I traded my 8th round FA pick.

Then I made subsequent trades to acquire 5 additional picks in the first 5 rounds while keeping all of my own rightful draft picks. Assume I only have 10 spots on my roster to fill. So, any of my picks after the first 5 rounds (where I now have a total of 10 picks) become forfeited.

Now, suddenly, the 8th round pick that someone else got from me is no longer valid because of subsequent actions that took place in which they had no participation??

My claim is that everyone has their minimum of 10 required FA draft picks and 4 Prospect draft picks to use as trade assets. It is ridiculous for any pick to become forfeited prior to the roster deadline that by rule creates the forfeiture of excess picks at that specific time. Until a pick is forfeited by rule, it is not forfeited. Until the roster cut/promotion deadline, I can make any changes I want to shape my roster in such a way as to use my assets. The only picks anyone shouldn't be able to trade are FA picks after round 10.

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

It's just a 4th round prospect pick, so it's relatively worthless anyway and I don't expect to get much if anything for it. I just wouldn't want to set a problematic precedent.
Last edited by calbatross on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_Long71

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:22 pm

There you go.... grey area.

I think that is correct Cal. I thought you had already listed your drops and cuts. I guess that I was assuming that when you list them, that is final. which obviously it should be when everyone has listed their cuts.

I would say we should allow trading of prospect picks (as assets) until the prospect draft begins at which point all prospect promotions/cuts become active and # of prospect picks are determined. But this is only for this year as we need to have a discussion (maybe a vote) on this for future. What happens when all of your prospect slots are filled and you have an upcoming 4-round prospect draft. I'd assume we would allow you to trade those upcoming picks even though you had 6 (or later 10) prospects already. In fact, some of you already have traded future prospect picks away. Does this mean you have to have an opening a year or two for now to really "have" that pick? It gets messy. I think the easiest thing to do is allow trading of prospect picks as assets.

what does everyone think?

hveed

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry, I didnt mean to open up this can of worms. Part of the original problem here is that I believe some trades were made last year involving 3rd/4th round picks that teams would not have had the rights too, similar to the situation Dr. Publix has raised and why we needed to correct things going forward. Anyone last season who traded their 3rd or 4th prospect pick from this year really never could have used those picks (unless they had previously traded away an earlier prospect pick). I'm not trying to single out anyone, that is just how we set things up.

There was simply a gap in the system because of the 8 pick/6 slot setup. I think there is a lot of gray area here and this is part of it. My thoughts are that Cal should get to keep the rights to the pick because the system isn't really changing until next season. But after next season, he would not be able to trade that pick in a similar situation and I also agree it is kind of messy.

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:I think that is correct Cal. I thought you had already listed your drops and cuts. I guess that I was assuming that when you list them, that is final.

If that's the rule, then make it a rule. I guess I have been in several leagues where guys post their cuts, then get trade offers for cut players and make changes... up until a set deadline. If listing the drops and cuts is permanent, then I would probably choose to delete my post and wait until a few minutes before deadline to post them.

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 pm

I don't mean to seem hot about it. :D

Paul_Long71

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 pm

right. that's why I said when obviously it should be when everyone has listed their cuts otherwise, I agree people would just wait.

The cuts/promotions become OFFICIAL or FINAL once EVERYONE has listed theirs NOT as soon as you list your own.

that's the rule....

calbatross

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Just set a deadline when all cuts and promotions become official. At that point, any picks that go beyond roster limits would be forfeited and no longer assets. Simple clarification.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat