Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML)Chat_Sup. draft Cuts here

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: New 2017 Keeper League Chat

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

sociophil wrote:Does YM qualify as a prospect? I think he was a Sept call up.

He was and he doesn't or more respectively, he doesn't because he was. We can't draft him until next year's card set assuming he gets a card next year. Same is true for Benintendi, Tapia and a host of others.
Last edited by Ninersphan on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninersphan

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm

STEVE F wrote:
Paul_Long71 wrote:reading over the rules, it says prospects can only be on your prospect roster for 2 years. Are we sticking with this? It definitely makes a difference in who is selected. guys that are still 2 years out are big gambles. just making sure before we start that draft.

You can still promote them to your 40 man roster after 2 years

Paul, some things to consider, prospects are defined as players with no MLB expierience prior to the start of the prospect draft. So guys you draft this year, can be on your (up to 10 man) prospect roster. Two years from now assuming they still have not made the majors and therefore have no card, you'll have a decision to make, promote them to the 40 man roster or cut them and send them back to the prospect pool. Remember too, that prior to the start of the Spring Free Agent draft, you have to have your roster set to 30. So you may have to decide between a part time player that could help you or hanging on to that prized prospect that has no card yet. It's one of the most appealing elements to a keeper team IMHO, in fact I wish we were forced to cut to 25 instead of 30 and make the decisions really tough. Good times ahead. ;-).

Paul_Long71

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 pm

I know all that ninersphan, but thanks. I'm in a few keeper leagues. I like the ones where you can hold on to prospects for longer than 2 years better as then you can draft with more long term goals (like pitchers drafted from h.s.) with a 2-year hold limit it would be pretty tough to invest (even in a 1st rd pick) in a pitcher out of h.s. no discussion was ever made about keeping the 2-yr limit or extending it so I just thought i'd guage everybody's opinion prior to the draft

and according to our rules Moncada (like Benintendi) is NOT a prospect as he had MLB experience prior to this year. so he, Benintendi, Reyes, will all have to be drafted in next year's FA draft.

Ninersphan

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:I know all that ninersphan, but thanks. I'm in a few keeper leagues. I like the ones where you can hold on to prospects for longer than 2 years better as then you can draft with more long term goals (like pitchers drafted from h.s.) with a 2-year hold limit it would be pretty tough to invest (even in a 1st rd pick) in a pitcher out of h.s. no discussion was ever made about keeping the 2-yr limit or extending it so I just thought i'd guage everybody's opinion prior to the draft

and according to our rules Moncada (like Benintendi) is NOT a prospect as he had MLB experience prior to this year. so he, Benintendi, Reyes, will all have to be drafted in next year's FA draft.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Well you can't draft HS pitchers, unless they've signed with an MLB team, but maybe that's what you meant.

Sorry if I came off as patronizing, not my intention, didn't know your keeper experience and figured over communicating is better then under.

PS I'm also partial to these particular keeper league rules as I hand a hand in drafting them years ago. ;)

hk mossy

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Guys,

I used the rules that were most common in the keeper leagues that I am in. I am not opposed to having a vote for any proposed rules changes. If everyone thinks it fair to vote on changes to the prospect rules before the prospect draft then I am all for it. If the current implemented prospect rules affected how you drafted in the leagues initial draft then any rules changes would have to be voted on to go into effect for next season. I like the group of guys we have in this league, especially their viewpoints. So, if anyone wants to propose a rule change, please let me know and we can discuss. I am never opposed to a thoughtful discussion and eventual proposed rules change. The Dictator, I mean commissioner has spoken :evil: :lol:

Also, I need to make a trade with whoever owns JV, so I can complete my Tigers rotation.

Ninersphan

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:13 pm

hk mossy wrote:Guys,

I used the rules that were most common in the keeper leagues that I am in. I am not opposed to having a vote for any proposed rules changes. If everyone thinks it fair to vote on changes to the prospect rules before the prospect draft then I am all for it. If the current implemented prospect rules affected how you drafted in the leagues initial draft then any rules changes would have to be voted on to go into effect for next season. I like the group of guys we have in this league, especially their viewpoints. So, if anyone wants to propose a rule change, please let me know and we can discuss. I am never opposed to a thoughtful discussion and eventual proposed rules change. The Dictator, I mean commissioner has spoken :evil: :lol:

Also, I need to make a trade with whoever owns JV, so I can complete my Tigers rotation.

I have Verlander, Perez and Yelich for Guyer and Verlander?

PS YOU"RE UP ;)

hk mossy

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:34 pm

thanks.

I would love to have JV, but I am not going to let my fandom affect my managerial skills (the little bit that I do have)

Ninersphan

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm

hk mossy wrote:thanks.

I would love to have JV, but I am not going to let my fandom affect my managerial skills (the little bit that I do have)

Can't blame a guy for trying. :mrgreen:

Paul_Long71

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Ninersphan wrote:
Paul_Long71 wrote:I know all that ninersphan, but thanks. I'm in a few keeper leagues. I like the ones where you can hold on to prospects for longer than 2 years better as then you can draft with more long term goals (like pitchers drafted from h.s.) with a 2-year hold limit it would be pretty tough to invest (even in a 1st rd pick) in a pitcher out of h.s. no discussion was ever made about keeping the 2-yr limit or extending it so I just thought i'd guage everybody's opinion prior to the draft

Yeah, that's what I said.

Well you can't draft HS pitchers, unless they've signed with an MLB team, but maybe that's what you meant.

Sorry if I came off as patronizing, not my intention, didn't know your keeper experience and figured over communicating is better then under.

PS I'm also partial to these particular keeper league rules as I hand a hand in drafting them years ago. ;)

I agree over-communicating is best. not a problem, that's why I started by saying thanks. :)

and yes I meant H.S. pitchers that had been drafted (like Dillon Tate a year or so ago....or Riley Pint this past year) tough to take Pint right now as he's most likely 3-4 years away. Most pitchers drafted from h.s. seem to take that long to get there.

sociophil

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 am

I used the rules that were most common in the keeper leagues that I am in. I am not opposed to having a vote for any proposed rules changes. If everyone thinks it fair to vote on changes to the prospect rules before the prospect draft then I am all for it. If the current implemented prospect rules affected how you drafted in the leagues initial draft then any rules changes would have to be voted on to go into effect for next season. I like the group of guys we have in this league, especially their viewpoints. So, if anyone wants to propose a rule change, please let me know and we can discuss.

I like the current rules. I would rather not get a divorce and neglect my child because I have to pursue an advanced degree on high school ball players to stay competitive. Lets keep this league focused on major league ready ball players.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat