"THOSE WERE THE DAYS" LEAGUE

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

baseballmike

Re: "THOSE WERE THE DAYS" LEAGUE

PostThu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

To stay within the rules, I should have dropped my last pick Jay Gibbons instead of Carlos Lee. Therefore, Jay Gibbons is my drop- Not Carlos Lee.
I am sorry for my unawareness for needing a 12th (1 uncarded) pitcher.
Baseballmike

tcochran

PostThu May 03, 2018 3:40 pm

baseballmike wrote:To stay within the rules, I should have dropped my last pick Jay Gibbons instead of Carlos Lee. Therefore, Jay Gibbons is my drop- Not Carlos Lee.
I am sorry for my unawareness for needing a 12th (1 uncarded) pitcher.
Baseballmike

Thanks, MIke.

Rosters updated at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1015584416

WJS6768

PostThu May 10, 2018 9:57 am

WJS6768 trades:
- Billy Wagner
- Rod Barajas
- Hideki Matsui

to Harold Homers in exchange for:
- Fausto Carmona
- John Buck
- Laynce Nix
- 2012 3rd round F/A draft pick

Harold Homers to confirm

Harold Homers

PostThu May 10, 2018 7:27 pm

WJS6768 wrote:WJS6768 trades:
- Billy Wagner
- Rod Barajas
- Hideki Matsui

to Harold Homers in exchange for:
- Fausto Carmona
- John Buck
- Laynce Nix
- 2012 3rd round F/A draft pick

Harold Homers to confirm

confirmed

kihoover

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Chilliards trades:

-Jake Westbrook
-Hisanori Takahashi
-Ryan Doumit
- 6th and 7th rd picks in 2013 draft

to kihoover in exchange for:

-Pat Misch
-Marc Rzepczynski
-Grady Sizemore
-2nd and 4th rd picks in 2013 draft

Chilliards to confirm

chilliards

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 7:25 pm

kihoover wrote:Chilliards trades:

-Jake Westbrook
-Hisanori Takahashi
-Ryan Doumit
- 6th and 7th rd picks in 2013 draft

to kihoover in exchange for:

-Pat Misch
-Marc Rzepczynski
-Grady Sizemore
-2nd and 4th rd picks in 2013 draft

Chilliards to confirm

Confirmed

tcochran

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am

Current draft rules encourage managers to seek the worst possible results if they have little or no chance of being in the playoffs, in order to improve their positions in the next annual free agent draft. The rules vaguely say that "it is expected that all owners will act in the best interests of the game", however that is subjective and difficult to enforce fairly.

Several solutions have been proposed in the league chat, based on season W/L records, including:
- Weighted draft lottery, NBA-style, for the 4 or 6 or 8 teams with the worst records
- Straight lottery (not weighted) for the teams with the worst records
- Two lotteries, for the worst 8 and then the next 8, followed by playoff teams from #8 to #1
- Awarding top picks to the best teams not in the playoffs (from #9 to #24, followed by #8 to #1)

That last option would make it very difficult for a mediocre team to ever improve, however any of the lotteries have a certain appeal as solutions. There are even a number of websites to aid in generating the lottery results, such as http://www.draftpicklottery.com/

After reviewing the extended discussion in the league chat -- and the playoff-style weights used in some other leagues -- I propose a tiered system in the following amendment to the rules:

Effective with the draft for the 2012 card set, draft order is determined by the previous regular season win/loss records and playoff records, as follows:
- The 8 teams with the worst W/L records will have the first 8 picks in the draft, with the sequence determined by a straight lottery; a random number generator, such as that at http://www.draftpicklottery.com/, will be used to determine the order of the first 8 picks
- The draft sequence for the next 8 teams will be in reverse order, worst-record first, NFL style*
- The draft sequence for the 8 teams in the playoffs will be determined by their playoff results, with those eliminated in the quarter-finals* followed by those eliminated in the semi-finals*, followed by the league runner-up at #23 and the champion at #24

* Ties between teams will be handled as in the League Setup rules

Since "all rule changes must pass by a super majority of 16 owners or more", it will take 16 YES votes to pass this measure. Shall the amendment be approved?

1. tcochran - YES

buzz082308

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 am

1. tcochran - YES
2. buzz082308 - Yes

paul j kiggins

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 am

Are Mangers ,in fairness of the game required to put the best team on the field or are we still going to allow the current bad situation to continue to exist? It is sad we have to pass a rule to ensure our leagues best players get to play.

tcochran

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 12:09 pm

paul j kiggins wrote:Are Mangers ,in fairness of the game required to put the best team on the field or are we still going to allow the current bad situation to continue to exist? It is sad we have to pass a rule to ensure our leagues best players get to play.

I would be willing to institute some kind of penalty for benching star players, however I would not be able to track every game for every team. There would need to be volunteers monitoring each of the games.

Perhaps a reasonable penalty would involve dropping one slot in the draft for every [new] 3-game series in which a team's 3 highest-salaried batters were not in the starting lineup and/or every 6 games in a row in which a team's top 2 SP's did not start a game?
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat