Marcell Ozuna - LF-3 29 HR, .800 OPS
Tommy La Stella- utility infielder. .832 OPS
Travis d’Arnaud- backup catcher .745 OPS
Tim Beckham- utility infielder (eligible at 5 positions) .754 OPS
Christian Pache- ‘18 prospect with no card. #10 on MLB pipeline list
Jordan Lyles- SP 4.15 ERA 1.32 whip
Roenis Elias- RP-1/4
Blaine Hardy- RP 1.15whip

I’m open to lots of possibilities, especially prospects and picks and a defensive minded 2B or CF

seanreflex

Re: D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Hey Doc,

I sent you a pm. Thanks.

Sean

dc irish

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:The current rule is that in order to be drafted in the supp. draft a player must have been available in that season's FA draft. Which means that a player must have played in a MLB game prior to the current season.

As it applies to this year. The 2020 FA draft will be coming up and any player who has played in an MLB game prior to 2020 is eligible to be selected. Then later this season, we will have a supp. draft in which that same condition must be met.

If I'm reading this correctly, Piloneus would like to change the rule so that the supp draft will be only for players who are carded in the current year. I still see the supp draft being mainly a grab for players having a hot year and aimed towards the next year's roster, but it does limit this a bit.

I will send out the rules proposal to be voted upon, but first.....are there any other rules proposals anyone would like to submit. If there are, I'd rather send a couple out together then constantly sending one after another.

I'd like to throw out the idea of a weighted draft moving forward, starting in 2021. Having just joined the TKL league, they use it, and it seems like an extra element of fairness that would slightly penalize a pure "tank" approach and give more incentive to win now as it doesn't pay as much to be the worst of the worst. This would also help in the final weeks of the season to help make sure games are competitive where the opponent of a tank team getting a free win could substantially affect other teams playoff chances. The rule they have is:

3) The annual spring free agent and prospect draft will be determined by the lottery numbers on the day AFTER the previous season's Strat postseason ends. Prospect draft numbers on the 2nd day after the Strat postseason ends.
4) We will take the pick 3 of the first state (WI), using only the last two numbers and use the chart below to determine who receives the first choice. We'll use AZ to choose the second choice, and CT to choose the third. If any of the first 3 states are duplicates (say WI and AZ numbers both choose the team with the 23rd best record, then we use the last two states (NJ and CA). If after 5 states, we still have not chose 3 choices, then we go in reverse order after the choices that have been chosen.

Regular and prospect lotteries should be drawn separately, despite the fact they happen at the same time of year.

Record of Team-last two numbers of pick 3 #

worst team 01-24
23rd best team 25-41
22nd best team 42-54
21st best team 55-64
20th best team 65-72
19th best team 73-79
18th best team 80-85
17th best team 86-90
16th best team 91-94
15th best team 95-97
14th best team 98-99
13th best team 00

example: On the day of the draft the numbers are WI-1(94), AZ-7(08), CT-3(19), NJ-8(66), The first choice goes to the team with the 16th best record, because of WI 94, the second choice goes to the team with the worst record because of AZ - 08, the 3rd choice would also have gone to the worst team, but the same team can not have 2 draft choices, so we got to the tiebreaker state, NJ, and the 66 means the 3rd choice goes to the team with the 20st best record. the 5th state is not needed. The 4th pick goes to the team with the second worst record, and from this point on we go in reverse order of W-L record among teams who did not draw a high choice

mlbphan

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

***original post deleted***
Last edited by mlbphan on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_Long71

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 6:37 pm

If we decide we would like to go with something like DC Irish's concept, is there not some sort of weighted randomizer we can use rather than looking up lottery numbers. If so, and I'd guess there is, then we could weight each spot as we see fit. The method Jim listed has the 24th team geting 24 chances, the #23 with 17 chances, the #22 with 13 chances, the #21 with 10 chances, the #20 with 8 chances, the #19 with 7 and it goes down by 1 from there.

We could weight it however we see fit. In another 24-team league I've played in, we only allow the lowest 8 to have a shot at the #1 pick (and they each have an equal shot).

There are plenty of possible ways to do it. Now is the time to talk about it.

Questions:
1. Do we want to keep it as it is?

if not:

1. How many teams should get a shot at the "lottery" 8 (1/3 of league), 13 (DC's example), 16 (all non-playoff teams)
2. How would we weight each team's chances?
3. How would we actually do it (state lottery #'s, random generator, other)

let's discuss and then come up with a proposal.

dc irish

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 6:46 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:If we decide we would like to go with something like DC Irish's concept, is there not some sort of weighted randomizer we can use rather than looking up lottery numbers. If so, and I'd guess there is, then we could weight each spot as we see fit. The method Jim listed has the 24th team geting 24 chances, the #23 with 17 chances, the #22 with 13 chances, the #21 with 10 chances, the #20 with 8 chances, the #19 with 7 and it goes down by 1 from there.

We could weight it however we see fit. In another 24-team league I've played in, we only allow the lowest 8 to have a shot at the #1 pick (and they each have an equal shot).

There are plenty of possible ways to do it. Now is the time to talk about it.

Questions:
1. Do we want to keep it as it is?

if not:

1. How many teams should get a shot at the "lottery" 8 (1/3 of league), 13 (DC's example), 16 (all non-playoff teams)
2. How would we weight each team's chances?
3. How would we actually do it (state lottery #'s, random generator, other)

let's discuss and then come up with a proposal.

I'm completely open as to the variables and I am sure that there are much more experienced owners who have more to draw upon than I do. The "lottery" system (specific to the numbers generated for draw) I think has the benefit of transparency that keeps any questions as to legitimacy at bay (vs. random generator which wouldn't have any accountability/verifyablity if someone were to be dishonest. Not that I'm alleging that ever could be the case, but might just be simpler to have some sort of system that has the extra level of transparency).

As to the number that would be elligible, I think all options could be interesting. With 16, you'd have the chance of duplicating the NBA system where the 16 team has a 1% chance... Which could provide all sorts of equal parts jubilation and bitching :) So ultimately no preference on that count.

Same as to the weighting... as long as there is some semblence of logic behind the %'s and it's weighted, I'd be fine with it.

I leave the details to smarter minds than I!

Eddie E

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 pm

I am a team that has tanked in D2D . I attempted to land the first pick of the draft (ended up with the 3rd pick) by trading away most of my good cards for picks, prospects and young players with bad cards. I always played my best possible roster, but it just wasnt very good.

In any weighted system, it would still behoove you to tank to increase the chances of getting the first pick. There is no guarantee but even when the system wasnt weighted, a number of guys tanked and failed to get that first pick proving that there is no guarantee with the current system either.

The only pro sports league that I know of using a weighted system has not been able to eliminate tanking (NBA).

I think we should leave things as they are but keep an eye on teams to make sure they play their best players. There are two types of tanking: 1. Playing bad players but they are the best you have 2. Sitting better players in hopes of losing.
The first type leads to a manager trying to win but not being able to. The second is what we have to watch out for, the guy trying to lose.

seanreflex

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Hey Dr. Publix - sent you a PM.

Sean

mlbphan

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm

available

SP-Chris Archer
SP-Jon Lester
SP-Jose Quintana
SP/RP-Freddy Peralta

CF-Ender Inciarte
OF-Jake Cave
OF-Austin Meadows (but it won’t be cheap)

SP-(prospect)-Kyle Wright-(must be promoted)
2B-(prospect)-Garrett Hampson-(must be promoted)
OF-(prospect)-Jordyn Adams-(one more year of prospect eligibility)

PM or email me

thanx,
Rick
mlbphan
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat