Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Paul_Long71

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't agree. The punishment is that you are going to lose a guy (or more) because of the high arb price. I just think that the owner should get to choose how that punishment is dispersed. just my opinion.

and you are basically losing a guy or two because they had stellar years and had their SOM price go beyond what you figured. This could lead to a whole discussion on how SOM prices guys but that's beside the point. :)

madal

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Additional questions regarding supplemental FA period-can you only submit bids if you have dropped 1-3 players, or have less than 40 on your roster? Or can teams with no drops also bid? My reading of Section 11.02 indicates you must announce drop(s) prior to participating, or have less than 40 on your roster per Section 11.03 in order to participate.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Cape Bear Cubbies Drop :

SP Archie Bradley
RP Phil Maton

Management

sociophil

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Additional questions regarding supplemental FA period-can you only submit bids if you have dropped 1-3 players, or have less than 40 on your roster? Or can teams with no drops also bid? My reading of Section 11.02 indicates you must announce drop(s) prior to participating, or have less than 40 on your roster per Section 11.03 in order to participate.

You must announce drops prior to the start of the supplemental FA signing period.

dharmabums

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm

We still need to vote on the following proposed rule addition:

ARTICLE IX

Section 14: Salary Cap Violation Rule: If a team exceeds the salary cap as the result of an unfavorable arbitration decision, the player whose arbitration decision caused the team to go over the cap is considered to be banned for the season for violations of league substance abuse policies. If more than one player is involved in the arbitration process that resulted in the salary cap violation, the team must get under the salary cap by identifying as few arbitration players as possible to get back into compliance. Each of those "Balco" players will be considered banned for the season. Banned players will remain on the team roster, but the team will not be permitted to participate in free agent signing periods or the prospect draft until they get back under the salary cap.

For example, Team A has spent $130 million in salary cap space before arbitration with three players up for arbitration this year. In a stroke of bad luck these three players are awarded $10 mil, $6 mil, and $4 mil. The team would be required to suspend the $10 mil player for the season as this would involve the suspension of the fewest number of players required to bring the team back into compliance with the salary cap.

sociophil: YES (Proposer)
oldmansmith2 -- yes
Paul_Long71 -- no (I think the team should have the option of banning the 2 lesser salaried players or the higher, not automatically the higher)
dharmabums -- yes
paul j kiggins --yes
srh1200 --
madal --
teamnasty --
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbr1 --
hveed --

baseball cfo

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:04 pm

dharmabums wrote:We still need to vote on the following proposed rule addition:

ARTICLE IX

Section 14: Salary Cap Violation Rule: If a team exceeds the salary cap as the result of an unfavorable arbitration decision, the player whose arbitration decision caused the team to go over the cap is considered to be banned for the season for violations of league substance abuse policies. If more than one player is involved in the arbitration process that resulted in the salary cap violation, the team must get under the salary cap by identifying as few arbitration players as possible to get back into compliance. Each of those "Balco" players will be considered banned for the season. Banned players will remain on the team roster, but the team will not be permitted to participate in free agent signing periods or the prospect draft until they get back under the salary cap.

For example, Team A has spent $130 million in salary cap space before arbitration with three players up for arbitration this year. In a stroke of bad luck these three players are awarded $10 mil, $6 mil, and $4 mil. The team would be required to suspend the $10 mil player for the season as this would involve the suspension of the fewest number of players required to bring the team back into compliance with the salary cap.

oldmansmith2 -- yes
Paul_Long71 -- no (I think the team should have the option of banning the 2 lesser salaried players or the higher, not automatically the higher)
dharmabums -- yes
paul j kiggins --yes
srh1200 --
madal --
teamnasty --
chilliards --
baseball cfo -- yes
mykbr1 --
hveed --

baseball cfo

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 pm

baseball cfo drops Jerry Blevins and Austin Pruitt

teamnasty

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I vote yes on the salary cap penalty proposal

oldmansmith2

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm

We still need to vote on the following proposed rule addition:

ARTICLE IX

oldmansmith2 -- yes
dharmabums -- yes
paul j kiggins --yes
srh1200 --
madal --
teamnasty -- yes
chilliards --
baseball cfo -- yes
mykbr1 --
hveed --

Paul_Long71

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:42 pm

making sure I get this right. anyone dropped for supp draft still counts on that team's salary cap. so...since he listed his I'll use Paul Kiggins as an example. He is dropping Bradley and Maton. They will still count 1.78 and 0.71 against his $140 cap for this year. Still plenty of room for him as he is only using about $131 M. And they both were only under 1 year contracts so no damage against next year's cap. But....hypothetical if he had chosen to drop Tyler Chatwood he would still have to pay him his $2.56 M this year and next year since he was signed to a 2-year deal. Seems like this is pretty obvious but just want confirmation that I'm understanding the supp draft correctly.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat