6. kihoover - (from Ironwill1) - Dylan Moore UTIL SEA
7. tpiercersn - Robbie Grossman OF OAK via proxy
8. willmurr24 Chad Green RP NNY
9. JMP1 - Avasail Garcia OF MIL
10. denorien - Daniel Castano SP Mia
11. jflatour99 - Jon Berti Utl. Mia
12. lakeviewdave - Isiah Kiner-Falefa 3B TEX

{{ROUND 8}}
1. knight1 - Kevin Kiermaier CF TB (proxy)
2. oldmansmith2
3. tcochran
4. damien666
5. Ironwill1 (from kihoover)
6. ironwill1
7. tpiercersn
8. willmurr24
9. JMP1
10. denorien
11. jflatour99
12. tcochran (from lakeviewdave)

jflatour99

Re: Summer - Winter Keeper League -- ANNUAL DRAFT

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:05 pm

Byron Buxton is available. I'm mainly looking for a big SP. I could include Drew Smyly with him. Trevor Story & Jazz Chisholm is available as well.

lakeviewdave

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 pm

Players available:

Alex Bregman 3B
Lourdes Gurriel Jr LF
Julio Urias SP
Joey Wendle 2B
Victor Gonzales LH RP
Tanner Scott LH RP
Jean Segura 2B
Justin Turner 3B
Luis Castillo SP
Aroldys Chapman RP

Will package some together in right deal for upgrades for this year

oldmansmith2

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:27 pm

{{ROUND 7}}
1. knight1- Austin Gomber SP/RP STL
2. oldmansmith2 - Randall Grichuk CF TOR
3. tcochran - Darin Ruf OF SF
4. damien666 P Evans Utl Pit (proxy)
5. kihoover - Jonathan Hernandez RP TEX

{{ROUND 8}}
2. oldmansmith2 - Daniel Norris RP DET
3. tcochran
4. damien666
6. ironwill1
7. tpiercersn
8. willmurr24
9. JMP1
10. denorien
11. jflatour99

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:30 pm

{{ROUND 7}}
1. knight1- Austin Gomber SP/RP STL
2. oldmansmith2 - Randall Grichuk CF TOR
3. tcochran - Darin Ruf OF SF
4. damien666 P Evans Utl Pit (proxy)
5. kihoover - Jonathan Hernandez RP TEX

{{ROUND 8}}
2. oldmansmith2 - Daniel Norris RP DET
3. tcochran - Mike Zunino C TB
4. damien666
6. ironwill1
7. tpiercersn
8. willmurr24
9. JMP1
10. denorien
11. jflatour99

Denorien

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:53 pm

tcochran wrote:
oldmansmith2 wrote:Been meaning to ask about this trade. Apologies if I have this wrong. After receiving a 1st round pros pick from knight1 and a 3rd rounder from lakeviewdave, wilmurr has 5 prospects on his roster and 5 prospect picks through round 3 of the prospect draft. Wouldn't that make his 4th round pick void and something that would not be tradeable to lakeview? The pick in question is also later traded to tcochran. Am I right on this?

I've been busy on other stuff and barely paying attention here. You may be correct; I'll take a look...

No one asked for my help. I'm just sharing impressions.

By the rules, each team has four 'possible' prospect picks each year. This is a total of 48 picks. That total # of picks can never be exceeded unless there's a supplemental pick process I'm forgetting. Depending on the time of year, there can be two years' worth of prospects equating to a maximum of 96 total prospects. Since each team's individual max is 10 total prospects (which is NOT broken up as five max per year), it seems like there should be a deadline type date that determines whether or not you get all four of your prospect picks. If a team has six or less total prospects on the deadline, all four of their picks are available whether or not they've been traded. If a team has 7 or more total prospects, they lose prospect picks 1 for 1 starting with prospect pick #4.

What this reveals is that the prospect pick and the prospect are two different things. We seem to measure # of prospects which governs # of picks granted (max 4 per year per team). The pick does not become a prospect until the pick is made. Hence, a GM could acquire more picks than they can actually make. But, they can try to trade excess picks right up until they're about to be made before they're lost.

oldmansmith2

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Denorien wrote:
tcochran wrote:
oldmansmith2 wrote:Been meaning to ask about this trade. Apologies if I have this wrong. After receiving a 1st round pros pick from knight1 and a 3rd rounder from lakeviewdave, wilmurr has 5 prospects on his roster and 5 prospect picks through round 3 of the prospect draft. Wouldn't that make his 4th round pick void and something that would not be tradeable to lakeview? The pick in question is also later traded to tcochran. Am I right on this?

I've been busy on other stuff and barely paying attention here. You may be correct; I'll take a look...

No one asked for my help. I'm just sharing impressions.

By the rules, each team has four 'possible' prospect picks each year. This is a total of 48 picks. That total # of picks can never be exceeded unless there's a supplemental pick process I'm forgetting. Depending on the time of year, there can be two years' worth of prospects equating to a maximum of 96 total prospects. Since each team's individual max is 10 total prospects (which is NOT broken up as five max per year), it seems like there should be a deadline type date that determines whether or not you get all four of your prospect picks. If a team has six or less total prospects on the deadline, all four of their picks are available whether or not they've been traded. If a team has 7 or more total prospects, they lose prospect picks 1 for 1 starting with prospect pick #4.

What this reveals is that the prospect pick and the prospect are two different things. We seem to measure # of prospects which governs # of picks granted (max 4 per year per team). The pick does not become a prospect until the pick is made. Hence, a GM could acquire more picks than they can actually make. But, they can try to trade excess picks right up until they're about to be made before they're lost.

What you're suggesting seems to be going against the rule involving player movement. You have to own the pick before it can be traded away according to that rule and gives an example where if you had acquired enough extra picks through trades that your 9th round pick will no longer available to you, you would not be able to trade it away unless you dropped enough players so that your 9th pick is valid again. In wilmurr's case, he has 5 prospects and 5 prospect picks through the first 3 rounds making his 4th rounder invalid. If you allowed a pick like that to be traded, what would stop a manager already with 10 prospects from trading away his 4 "potential" prospect picks?

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm

The existential "pick" question arises occasionally in Strat and I have tried to be consistent over the years in following the traditional response. Let's start with a simple case:

FREE AGENT PICKS
- You can drop up to 15 players prior to the FA draft, so technically that means you have 15 picks available
- If you only drop 10, though, then picks 11-15 are forfeited, since you did not take the action necessary to keep them available
- And since they are not available, they can not be traded
- You are required to have an active roster of no more than 30 players prior to the draft, though, so picks 1-10 are deemed to be available and can be traded (as long as you don't trade for earlier picks, etc.)
- In other words, your roster size determines your pick availability

PROSPECT PICKS
- Same thought process applies to prospects
- You are allowed to have a maximum of 10 prospects at any one time
- Subtract the number of prospects you have from that max of 10 to get the maximum number of valid prospect picks
- Thus, if you have 7 prospects already, then you have 3 prospect picks available (and you forfeit a 4th one, if you have not already traded it)
- What's different from the FA picks, however, is that you can choose to promote a prospect in order to free up space under that cap of 10

CASE IN POINT
- willmurr traded for enough prospect picks that he at one point would be forfeiting 2 of them
- He promoted Brady Singer to make room for one of those and I replied that he would then only be forfeiting his 4th rd pick
- I then ignored the issue later, when willmurr traded that forfeited pick to lakeviewdave
- And still being unconscious, I even received that pick in a trade with Dave
- Result: Forfeited pick has been bouncing around, which needs to be corrected

POTENTIAL RESOLUTIONS
- willmurr still has room to promote another prospect; if he does, then that 4th rd pick becomes eligible and the trades can stand
- If willmurr chooses not to promote another prospect, then the trade with lakeviewdave is voided (no harm, no foul) and the trade with me would also be voided (replacement needed, since Dave has already made FA draft picks because of it)

Ain't this fun? :D

willmurr24

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:14 pm

i think the answer to that question is nothing would stop him and why should he be stopped from trading an asset he had somehow accumulated .The trade market in these leagues is vigorous, especially in any league with lakeview in it , why invoke rules that would impede this aspect of our amusement. Barter , Buy , Sell , Win , Lose , Profit ,Loss and buyer beware
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat