Summer - Winter Keeper League - SEASON 30

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tcochran

Re: Summer - Winter Keeper League -- ANNUAL DRAFT

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm

willmurr24 wrote:i think the answer to that question is nothing would stop him and why should he be stopped from trading an asset he had somehow accumulated .The trade market in these leagues is vigorous, especially in any league with lakeview in it , why invoke rules that would impede this aspect of our amusement. Barter , Buy , Sell , Win , Lose , Profit ,Loss and buyer beware

In theory, yes, you could trade away any number of picks -- as long as you commit to making sure that pick would otherwise be valid when the time comes for it to be used.

Kinda like trading in stock futures, you gotta cover the trade at some point

lakeviewdave

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:21 pm

tcochran wrote:The existential "pick" question arises occasionally in Strat and I have tried to be consistent over the years in following the traditional response. Let's start with a simple case:

FREE AGENT PICKS
- You can drop up to 15 players prior to the FA draft, so technically that means you have 15 picks available
- If you only drop 10, though, then picks 11-15 are forfeited, since you did not take the action necessary to keep them available
- And since they are not available, they can not be traded
- You are required to have an active roster of no more than 30 players prior to the draft, though, so picks 1-10 are deemed to be available and can be traded (as long as you don't trade for earlier picks, etc.)
- In other words, your roster size determines your pick availability

PROSPECT PICKS
- Same thought process applies to prospects
- You are allowed to have a maximum of 10 prospects at any one time
- Subtract the number of prospects you have from that max of 10 to get the maximum number of valid prospect picks
- Thus, if you have 7 prospects already, then you have 3 prospect picks available (and you forfeit a 4th one, if you have not already traded it)
- What's different from the FA picks, however, is that you can choose to promote a prospect in order to free up space under that cap of 10

CASE IN POINT
- willmurr traded for enough prospect picks that he at one point would be forfeiting 2 of them
- He promoted Brady Singer to make room for one of those and I replied that he would then only be forfeiting his 4th rd pick
- I then ignored the issue later, when willmurr traded that forfeited pick to lakeviewdave
- And still being unconscious, I even received that pick in a trade with Dave
- Result: Forfeited pick has been bouncing around, which needs to be corrected

POTENTIAL RESOLUTIONS
- willmurr still has room to promote another prospect; if he does, then that 4th rd pick becomes eligible and the trades can stand
- If willmurr chooses not to promote another prospect, then the trade with lakeviewdave is voided (no harm, no foul) and the trade with me would also be voided (replacement needed, since Dave has already made FA draft picks because of it)

Ain't this fun? :D

So are you saying that the 10 prospect limit has to be in place before the start of FA draft? or Prospect draft?

If its the prospect draft, which has not started yet, couldn't you go over 10 prospects (players + picks) before the start of prospect draft? If so, then this is a moot point, as if the prospect draft started today, all trades would be valid and move on.

If its the FA draft, then I agree with your assessment on what needs to happen. Perhaps re-work the 2 trades in question and make it a 3-way trade, wouldn't that solve things?

willmurr24

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:27 pm

i will in the interest of simplicity promote a prospect, the first one alphabetically using their last names

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:31 pm

willmurr24 promotes Hunter Bishop, got it, and the trades stand as is

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:34 pm

lakeviewdave wrote:If its the prospect draft, which has not started yet, couldn't you go over 10 prospects (players + picks) before the start of prospect draft? If so, then this is a moot point, as if the prospect draft started today, all trades would be valid and move on.

The calculation of legitimate picks can be made at any point in time. The original manager still owns a forfeited pick, in case he wants to promote somebody (or trade away an earlier pick) and make it eligible.

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:39 pm

Rosters updated again for end of round 6 at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2039388519

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:41 pm

kihoover wrote:Ironwill1 trades his current pick and his 7th rd pick in the 2022 draft to

kihoover for his 8th rd pick in the current draft and his 5th rd pick in the 2022 draft.

Ironwill1 to confirm.

Interpreted to mean the draft of the 2021 card set

ironwill1

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm

My 7th and klhoover's 5th in next years draft.

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:54 pm

Rosters updated for end of round 7 at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2039388519

tcochran

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 3:56 pm

{{ROUND 8}}
1. knight1 - Kevin Kiermaier CF TB (proxy)
2. oldmansmith2 - Daniel Norris RP DET
3. tcochran - Mike Zunino C TB
4. damien666 - TIMED OUT AT 2:30 PM EDT
5. Ironwill1 (from kihoover) - ON THE CLOCK TO 4:30 PM EDT
6. ironwill1
7. tpiercersn
8. willmurr24
9. JMP1
10. denorien
11. jflatour99
12. tcochran (from lakeviewdave)

{{ROUND 9}}