The "Original" 24 TKL

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

toshiro

Re: The "Original" 24 TKL

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 12:04 pm

You could set the draft date when the drops are collected. Everyone has to check in at that point, has to do drops. Set the date & rules for time/skipping. Meporioles would be getting smoked at this point and he’d never make *that* mistake again.

seanreflex

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 12:15 pm

I don't think we need a definitive start date. I think the logical process of things is that everyone gets their drops in by a date specified by the commish. LOGIC says, you check the boards at that time because you know the draft is starting.

I also think there should be a 3 hour clock for ROUND 1. Doesn't have to run on weekends, but I think we need one.

If a manager has submitted their drops, they know the deadline for drops the commish has set, they know the new card set is out, LOGIC says, they should also know the draft is starting and they should check the boards at least once a millenium.

You can't legislate common sense. But a 1st Round Clock would solve the issue. Assemble your team with the crumbs left at the end of 15 rounds if you choose not to pick during your time slot. To tosh's point, that'll either make you pay attention or make you surrender your team.

Zizka

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 12:22 pm

In this case, we are weighing a player having to give one proxy for the first round he couldn't make compared to another player who may have to supply someone with a list of ten rounds worth of proxies. Or more.

This will all be moot if I can be assured of an internet connection, and I am trying to find a workaround. I am not sure if I will have a reliable connection in the Caribbean. I might / I might not. Either way, I will have to leave a big list of picks with someone just in case I can't.

My situation notwithstanding, it is also quite maddening to have the entire draft hold up like this. Compare the inconvenience to a member who can't make it to a long list of members who waste time checking for results every couple of hours. If not less.

toshiro

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 12:26 pm

People can use phones to connect & make picks? You don’t specifically need a computer console. Also, if you have cellular service, most phones can hot spot. Connect laptop to hotspot & good to go.

Zizka

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 12:40 pm

toshiro wrote:People can use phones to connect & make picks? You don’t specifically need a computer console. Also, if you have cellular service, most phones can hot spot. Connect laptop to hotspot & good to go.

True. And this may be a workaround. But even without this particular problem (which I understand may seem selfish on my part to many people) this current process kind of stinks. My little problem may just be highlighting the issue.

Everyone's life is different and I respect that. This is just Strat-O. But a first-round time limit shouldn't be such a difficult thing to overcome. I have two fantasy drafts tonite and if I don't make them I'm screwed and I've done it to myself. These are money leagues and the date and time are announced and that's that. I don't mean to single anybody out, this could be me, this could be anybody. But there is a list of people who are cooling their heels at this point, and we are going on the second day.

(Edit to add; I will not have a laptop. It is specifically the cell coverage I am concerned about. My research tells me it is spotty where I am going.)

calbatross

Please send me your mobile number

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 1:16 pm

I do not have many mobile phone numbers for members of this league. If anyone would like to email or send me a private message with their number, I'd be happy to keep it in my private league file and use it when necessary.

That said, I found Mark's and sent him a text message and another follow-up email shortly ago.

I also have mobile numbers from dc irish and mlbphan. I do not find anyone else's in my records.

Also, my records are missing an email address for toshiro.

Facebook Messenger can also be another way to connect for anyone who is interested. You can message me through:

https://www.facebook.com/calbatross/

And then we could connect there as an alternative.

If I publish a possible rule change for next year regarding the first round of the draft and put it up to a vote, what would be a reasonable amount of time for the first round picks? 3 Hours as seanreflex suggested?

After the first round, we typically do 1 hour time slots for a few rounds, and then as we approach the middle of the draft and the picks are somewhat less critical, I use my discretion to begin using half-hour increments (last year it was Round 5).

In the meantime, I will continue to try to reach Mark and hopefully we will be moving again very soon.

-Cal

toshiro

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 1:54 pm

Ziska — not trying to call u out. Whatever it is, it is. We’ll try to do our best. I’m just finding a lot of people, esp if you’re older are locked into the “making picks from a console”, which is detrimental to drafts.

seanreflex

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 2:23 pm

toshiro wrote:Ziska — not trying to call u out. Whatever it is, it is. We’ll try to do our best. I’m just finding a lot of people, esp if you’re older are locked into the “making picks from a console”, which is detrimental to drafts.

Tosh, I have been communicating via pm with one of our new managers in TSL - he's 87 YEARS OLD!!!!! And he checks in from his phone!!!!!! I was floored (am still floored) by that.

I'm 58, and I prefer my laptop, but I use my phone if I need to leave ... it's not that hard, even for me. And I'm a techno-illiterate to the extreme!!! :lol: :lol:

Rant

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 3:04 pm

Being a guilty party here, I perhaps shouldn't weigh in, but I will.

As a former commissioner, this hasn't been a recurring major issue for this league. An untimed start allows for managers (particularly those who are in multiple drafts) to effectively say "I'm aware this draft started". Is it annoying to wait with for picks to be made? Yes. Is it unfair to keep everyone waiting when you know the draft is happening? Yes. Should we all be ready to fire when the draft starts? Absolutely.

But, it's not such a big deal to me to start the draft in earnest next week versus last. I hope my approach was considerate at least (posting that I wouldn't pick until the following morning; I was effectively on the clock -- assuming 10-10 about three hours in total). For me personally I had a medical issue and work deadline hit right before I needed make a pick that made it difficult to spend the time to be ready by the get go.

It's frustrating that an owner drops completely off like this, and Meporioles02 making the last drops then not posting to the forum is odd. But, if there's a reason, I'd prefer to at least for a sane amount of time give the benefit of the doubt, rather than plow ahead. We should perhaps evaluate whether an owner is a consistent violator of league norms, and gauge whether to ask them to leave. I'm not there yet in this case. If we had a first round clock, I'd advocate for something long like 24 hours, and in future rounds one hour slots.

Zizka

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 3:20 pm

The fact of the first round being timed is my request
The amount of hours allowed is not as important to me as the fact of a timed pick.

:D And I may be 68, but I've been online since there were just message boards. It is cell service that concerns me.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat