Update: SOM has fixed the Pre-Season Salary Floor problem

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

Re: Salary Floor Should NOT Apply to Pre-Season...Currently

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 11:24 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:Is anyone in contact with SOM about this horrific blunder? Sooooo stupid.

If we were to use archaic baseball slag, this would be "SOM's Boner." Or as the English would say, what a muck up!

As mentioned, I got a quick reply from SOM saying they'd fixed the bug. "Thanks for your email! We've changed it so that the Salary Floor restriction no longer applies during the preseason." I'm glad they fixed it so fast, but am not sure how they let it happen in the first place.

Oh I missed that. That's good if it's already fixed. On the weekend no less!

BDWard

Re: Update: SOM says Pre-Season Salary Floor bug will be fix

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 11:45 pm

I'm in a $140 mil league that autodrafted on Saturday afternoon, 6-18, and had the waiver draft on Sunday afternoon, 6-19.

Immediately after the autodraft I dropped about $38 mil worth of players without a problem.

Waivers went off without a hitch.

I can't speak for other leagues, but can state the floor caused no problems with player drops or additions in the preseason thus far.

Outta Leftfield

Re: Update: SOM has fixed the Pre-Season Salary Floor proble

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 pm

SOM has indeed fixed the problem--but it was very real while it lasted! Glad they got to it quickly.

mighty moose

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 pm

I sent them an email yesterday, but I was only one of many. If affects Barnstormers too so the points raised were very valid.

dougvantyle

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm not sure why they started this Salary Floor thing. All my leagues have done just fine without it over the years. In the future, the Salary Floor will be waived in all of my leagues. Have fun.

dvt

mighty moose

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Because in Barnstormers, several players were making ridiculous cuts making the value of their team such that their team was not and could no longer be competitive. This skewers the wild card towards the other teams in his division making it much more difficult if not impossible to win the wild card in the OTHER divisions.

With so many green newbies joining Barnstormers every year, it is a common and very real ISSUE to our players.

We didn't ask for this to be a "global issue", I was only concerned on putting a fix in place for Barnstormers "invited" private leagues. But at least SOM felt that this was also a problem for AUTO LEAGUES. I did not know they would make this an option for other leagues.

But like anything else that is "NEW" - occasionally it is discovered that something was overlooked and a small tweak is necessary to get it just right. That's what happened here.

mighty moose

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Coincidentally, this is clearly spelled out in the SOM rules. A clip from a thread in the Barnstormers Forum.

This is right there in the SOM "Games Rules" in the upper right corner. Read down until you hit upon the rules regarding "Fair Play". "Salary dumping. You may not jettison talent from your team, hold a "fire sale", or otherwise make wholesale changes to your roster that reduces the overall salary value of your team."

What happens if you do this ? SOM says "If you violate any of the above rules, at our discretion, Strat-O-Matic.com will seize control of your team and you will not be eligible for a refund. Repeat offenses will result in a ban from ever playing the game again."

dougvantyle

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 7:36 pm

Thank you for the explanation, mighty moose. dvt

MaxPower

PostFri May 26, 2023 12:17 pm

Bumping this because the problem was never entirely fixed. While preseason drops are allowed now, preseason trades are still disallowed if the salary floor is implicated. Why they would fix one but not the other can only be explained by supreme laziness and sloppiness. I'm currently in a league where I can't make any trades because I'm below the salary floor. What an absolute marvel to introduce this feature without the slightest consideration for its effect on the preseason, and for it to still be borked a year later.

mighty moose

PostFri May 26, 2023 12:55 pm

Send your concerns directly to SOM. No one here can do anything about it.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats