Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

teamnasty

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:11 pm

No rule changes after season starts unless there is unanimous agreement, which there isn’t here. People rely on the rules being set in stone when adopting draft strategies. Even one team screwed by a mid-flow rule change is too many. I am however open to a discussion to change the rules prospectively.

Paul_Long71

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Personally, I figured that if I go over due to an arb guy, then I lose the arb guy and I'm ok with that. I didn't think that would preclude me from being able to draft in the prospect draft as that never happens after the arb guys are decided. If I had known I would have been less willing to possibly go over the cap. As it stands now, I'm ok with a possible banned player as my arb guys are pretty inconsequential.... but I'm not ok with missing out on the prospect draft. Like to get this resolved now as I may have to either pull back a guy from waivers or make a trade.

and that's why I'm against changing the rules now....after we've done FA's.... cuz I may have done things differently in FA signing

ggyuppie

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:42 pm

I'm the newbie and learning as I go, but I gave myself the impression that if I went over the cap in the FA/arbitration phases I'd be precluded from picking up prospects. My full understanding of every nuance isn't anyone responsibility but my own, so I am not the least bit worked up. However, had I picked up on this technicality, Spencer Strider and Tyler Anderson would have likely come away with richer contracts!

teamnasty

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:47 pm

Agree with what Paul Lomg says above

chilliards

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:51 pm

Been following this interesting convo as it answers a couple pondering thoughts.....one question I still have is if over the cap, do you get to choose the suspended player as long as it is the least amount of players per the rules. I monitor what I have and keep a decent buffer to not worry, but that question lingers.

oldmansmith2

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:10 pm

chilliards wrote:Been following this interesting convo as it answers a couple pondering thoughts.....one question I still have is if over the cap, do you get to choose the suspended player as long as it is the least amount of players per the rules. I monitor what I have and keep a decent buffer to not worry, but that question lingers.

Yes you get to choose but like you said it has to be the least number of players that still gets you under the cap.

oldmansmith2

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:34 pm

oldmansmith2 wrote:
chilliards wrote:Been following this interesting convo as it answers a couple pondering thoughts.....one question I still have is if over the cap, do you get to choose the suspended player as long as it is the least amount of players per the rules. I monitor what I have and keep a decent buffer to not worry, but that question lingers.

Yes you get to choose but like you said it has to be the least number of players that still gets you under the cap.

And it has to be your players that were in arbitration that get suspended. You can't just choose any player on your team.

mykbr1

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:59 pm

Hey Phil,

I noticed Nick Maton on my roster. I believe he was chosen by chillards

oldmansmith2

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 11:23 am

Gotta admit that I hadn't thought much about the consequences of going over the cap. I just figured it would be really rare and the penalty would be enough to encourage teams to make sure it didn't happen. In Evil Spock's case, he would be losing a good player in Acuna but if I was to go over the cap by say 3 million I could just suspend Turnbull who will not have a card anyway. Not saying that anyone would intentionally do this but I think we should make sure that even unintentionally teams will have to pay a heavy price if it happens. Not being able to participate in the prospect draft would be pretty heavy. I still agree that it's too late to change the rule this year but what we could do is make sure for the good of the league that we are not over cap going into this year's draft. I haven't talked to Chris about this yet but I'm sure he would make a trade to make sure he's under. Any thoughts?

teamnasty

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 11:51 am

It's the non participation in the prospect draft that's a killer. Yes, let's beef up the penalty but do so prospectively.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat