Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ggyuppie

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Gaming the game is a huge part of this game. This is why leagues need tight rules.

It is impossible for even the most diligent architect to anticipate every contingency before the league operates for some time.

Suggesting that participants modify their tactics to avoid gaining an advantage from a “loophole” in the rules is pretty much the same thing as changing the rule midstream. I don’t believe anybody should have any obligation to do that.

In my estimation, what’s best for the league is to play on without constraints outside the rules as they are and then work toward a consensus to deal with the issue in the next round of winter meetings.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:03 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:I am going to do my best to stay under the cap. I could get screwed if they decide to price guys differently than previous seasons. I have already talked with Randy and it looks like I'll be ok. but can't guarantee as it will be close.

That's all I'm saying. As I know it will be close, I'm not gonna just go out and sign $2M and $3M free agents. I'm gonna try to stay under. My last FA's will all be $1M or less. Like Randy, I could just go over on purpose and designate McKay who will be uncarded but I will do my best to stay under.

Appreciate that. For the guys that are over the cap and are done with free agency the option is still out there to make a trade to get under. in Evil Spock's case he will probably want to in order to get use of Acuna and as long as the team he trades with is making an improvement to their team and not just helping him out I don't see anything wrong with that. As his father I won't make the trade to save any discussion on that.

oldmansmith2

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:15 pm

ggyuppie wrote:Gaming the game is a huge part of this game. This is why leagues need tight rules.

It is impossible for even the most diligent architect to anticipate every contingency before the league operates for some time.

Suggesting that participants modify their tactics to avoid gaining an advantage from a “loophole” in the rules is pretty much the same thing as changing the rule midstream. I don’t believe anybody should have any obligation to do that.

In my estimation, what’s best for the league is to play on without constraints outside the rules as they are and then work toward a consensus to deal with the issue in the next round of winter meetings.

I really can't make an argument against this. We all knew early on that going over the cap was bad and we made adjustments in the rules to come up with the current "penalty" for doing so. Kudos to anyone that figured out that the penalty was pretty lame. Hopefully next year will be different.

ggyuppie

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:24 pm

I did not know that OMS and ES are father and son. That’s awesome.

Smith, if you went by Sarek instead of oldman, it would have been on me to not have figured it out. Or maybe Sarek with some qualifier ahead of it. benevolentsarek? Or maybe just oldsarek!

sociophil

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:45 pm

Gents, we’re dealing with ongoing health issues so I haven’t been able to read the thread carefully. I hope to have time tomorrow and will weigh in after.

teamnasty

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:50 pm

Agree that we all should act in good faith, and I believe that we will

oldmansmith2

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 2:43 pm

ggyuppie wrote:I did not know that OMS and ES are father and son. That’s awesome.

Smith, if you went by Sarek instead of oldman, it would have been on me to not have figured it out. Or maybe Sarek with some qualifier ahead of it. benevolentsarek? Or maybe just oldsarek!

LOL

teamnasty

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 3:03 pm

Holy smoke I had no idea! This league has taken a fantastic Freudian turn!

oldmansmith2

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:11 pm

EvilSpock wrote:Hi everybody! I'm looking forward to playing. Thanks for inviting me to the league.

Of course my number one goal is to beat Dad :)

Chris Smith

So far mission accomplished!

sociophil

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 4:49 pm

Phil if we are responsible for contracts how do we “get under” the cap to participate in FA and prospect drafts?

You would need to trade your way under the cap.

There's a rule being changed either way you look at it--if the prospect draft proceeds, then the penalty rule is being partially changed. To me the penalty rule is more integral to league operation then the random usage of "immediately" in the prospect draft rule.

I will change the rule at the end of the current FA signing and prospect draft period as the intent was to significantly penalize teams for going over the salary limit such that they would seek to rectify the error before the penalty takes effect. Holding the prospect draft before the arb settlement date effectively negates the penalty. I still have five picks, so I could potentially filibuster the FA signing period until after the cards are released, so there is that option. I may not have to do that since this draft is SOOOO SLOWWW! We will change the order of things next year.

Having said that, as it currently stands, the requirement that the fewest players be suspended to get under the cap will potentially cost violators their highest value arb players. However, it is possible that a team with multiple arb settlements could get under the cap by suspending two or more marginal players.

Bottom line is that the rule needs to be fixed and penalties need to be stringent enough that owners err on the side of caution when offering free agent contracts, but we will not change the rules until the end of this season.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat