Price Increase Effective 11/1

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tcochran

Re: Price Increase Effective 11/1

PostThu Oct 17, 2024 9:53 am

I'm commish in 9 keeper leagues, so I and my extended Strat family will be paying a good bit towards that new programming team. On the other hand, I can't think of any other product (except maybe hot dogs at Costco) where the price has remained the same since 2012. Here's hoping that the new techies can make some needed improvements to the game!

KRICHERT

PostThu Oct 17, 2024 10:07 am

tcochran wrote:I'm commish in 9 keeper leagues, so I and my extended Strat family will be paying a good bit towards that new programming team. On the other hand, I can't think of any other product (except maybe hot dogs at Costco) where the price has remained the same since 2012. Here's hoping that the new techies can make some needed improvements to the game!

Great, now I want to stop at Costco on my way to work to get a hot dog for breakfast!

Radagast Brown

PostFri Oct 18, 2024 3:30 pm

I won't play anymore teams on principle after my credits are gone. No new improvements, no new retro sets. I'll stick with Draftkings where I'm up over three grand over the last two years.

Also, high grade Marijuana was 400 an ounce back in the 1990s. Now it is between 125-250$, so some things have gone down in price.

I'm not really seeing much overhead for their business model and products.

If there were improvements and new retro sets, maybe I would buy 5 credits for 100. Otherwise Hal Richmond can kick rocks.

teamnasty

PostSat Oct 19, 2024 12:43 pm

"I won't play anymore teams on principle after my credits are gone. No new improvements, no new retro sets. I'll stick with Draftkings where I'm up over three grand over the last two years.

Also, high grade Marijuana was 400 an ounce back in the 1990s. Now it is between 125-250$, so some things have gone down in price.

If there were improvements and new retro sets, maybe I would buy 5 credits for 100. Otherwise Hal Richmond can kick rocks."

This isn't an airport, you don't have to announce your departure.

Rattlers1234

PostSat Oct 19, 2024 5:25 pm

The price increase just made it easier for me to leave. I have an entire laundry list of questionable actions by HAL. Just this week I found out that HAL had benched Musial in place of someone else for 12 games! I never benched Musial and he was never hurt. It's my fault I didn't study each box score, something I rarely did but I shouldn't have to. I have another team that was 37-30 and a game out of first. Since then I went 20-54! So this fixed income granddad of 10 will wave good bye when my credits runs, whether its an airport or not. For the most part I have enjoyed the other managers. For SOM ....well you can guess what I want to say,

chasenally

PostSat Oct 19, 2024 10:04 pm

I still plan on buying 10 credits because I play in 5 keeper leagues, but I wonder if any of them will be left next year. Wasn't the price for 5 credits $99 at one point. I thought they reduced the price from that years ago.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

chasenally

PostSat Oct 19, 2024 10:08 pm

teamnasty wrote:"I won't play anymore teams on principle after my credits are gone. No new improvements, no new retro sets. I'll stick with Draftkings where I'm up over three grand over the last two years.

If there were improvements and new retro sets, maybe I would buy 5 credits for 100. Otherwise Hal Richmond can kick rocks."

This isn't an airport, you don't have to announce your departure.

I have been on there for 3 years now. I have lost $435 but have gambled a total of $14,824. I am currently up $30 on the $10 deposit I put in last weekend. Soto just got me $10 for having 3 total bases.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Terry101

PostMon Oct 21, 2024 7:34 am

Big Fred Whitfield wrote:I didn't see the letter, but if in fact they will make some improvements, especially listening and responding to mass feedback about some obvious things (don't steal 3rd with 2 outs, don't take an extra base down 4-5 runs, etc), then it at least warrants merit

I was of the assumption it was a simple cash grab, as the system is already built, and only maintenance and server needs along with other staff are required.....some of the increase could go to those people's pay raises, but again, that's both always a cost of management, and their attempts and level of success of passing those expenses onto their customers

If they address some shortcomings including those Fred mentioned it might be worth 20.00 more for 5 teams. No matter what, I think this is going to cut down on the number of leagues people play and hurt the keeper leagues.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostMon Oct 21, 2024 8:35 am

since people are weighing in, either completely anti or just acknowledging the increase and whether or not it will affect their own participation, I offer the following 2 cents (might be 4 or 6 cents total now, haha)

on one hand, I look at it as a cost comparative....although i live in Asia, I was in USA during covid time 2000-2020, 2 1/2 years....i know inflation has gotten worse, so prices are even higher than I remember....so, lets say one is lucky to get a fast food meal for $5-$10, and eating at a sit down restaurant, one is probably lucky to get out with meal cost, and additional beverage alcoholic or not, tax and tip being less than $20, certainly $15 would be difficult in many states

and at a higher level restaurant (than a chilis, chain, more reasonably priced) it would be upwards of $20-$30 easy

so if we average all of those, let's be generous (to SOM in this comparison) and say the $25 proposed new team fee, would arguably cost 2 meals worth of expense to a customer, probably closer to 1.5 times rather than 2.....

so, in that respect, for the cost of 1.5 meals, the pricing doesn't sound all that crazy....everything is crazy expensive nowadays, and anything that isn't, appreciate the snot out of and hold onto it like a dying man grasping an oxygen tank

a ticket to a concert, sporting event, etc is even much higher

and they're paying fast food burger flippers (nothing wrong with the people, only paying an imbalanced higher salary for non-skilled labor) $20 per hour in California

and lastly, for something that lasts a couple months, even at only 3 games per day, it could be argued the pricing has relative value (palmtanna, don't show this to SOM big wigs)....

on the other hand, there is the question of cost of product.....and profit margin....the initial and ongoing costs of doing business is the cumulative variable "x"......and, the total amount of customer fees (not counting additional revenue from cross marketing real life board version and PC computer version) earned over the lifetime of 365 would be "y"

the "y" will always go up as long as SOM is in business, as if all customers stop buying something, surely SOM would close the site......and the "x" also will always go up, as someone needs to monitor the business, email, technical, etc....however it would be argued, that not counting proposed new changes and features, the initial set up cost a long time ago is a fixed fee/amount, and the maintenance (or not) might be not that high or even non-existent.....has the site ever been down or had a 'bug' due to technical issues ?...there might not be any Wizard of Oz behind the curtain then....it's just a self-propelled ball that keeps rolling, and as long as customers keep paying, no reason to stop the ball.....so, the real factor that would increase the "x" in above equation would be staff overhead, namely salaries and any brick and mortar real life headquarters (if it's not just a PO box).....

so it begs the question, what is the relative % and amount of increase of those two respective variables ?

with initial set up cost over a long time ago, each and every new customer game fee further reduces that initial cost (factor)

With maintenance of the game itself perhaps miniscule or non-existent, each and every customer game fee reduces that as well

so, when viewing the salary and overhead issue, the 2nd question begs, "how much of a raise does the staff want ?" and "how much more profit does ownership want to grab ?"

and, certainly, the "y" factor of equation would rise much faster and cumulative than the "x" factor above.....

I realize its a business...and no business would remain in business if constantly losing money for almost 30 years ? (except the WNBA).....and a successful, even modestly successful business deserves to turn a profit....

the proof will be in the pudding regarding if proposed changes actually do occur....and hopefully they won't take ages to implement.....

I myself plan to take a "wait and see" approach, checking the site, forum, and updates....and perhaps playing in one league every once in a while just to monitor those also....but, I believe if they don't listen to some of the feedback (Palmtana, sure it's been thought of before, but if not, wouldn't it be a good idea to take a survey about the most requested problems to be fixed and changes to be made, and then formatting that survey into some kind of polite petition ?...and of course forwarded to appropriate parties ?), and make changes that I feel increase the overall value of the game, and in turn increased game fees, I might just not continue at all, or like a lot of people, and a reduced or greatly reduced rate

im also on the fence about the last week of october....one on hand (running out of hands here), it would seem natural to want to buy credits at current pricing before they go up, even if not planning on buying them after the increase, just to "say goodbye" to the game......but on the other hand, another part of me is saying if I am not going to continue anyway, why should i use that money for one last "fling" ?

dang, i needed an industrial strength soapbox for that, sorry

RB44

PostMon Oct 21, 2024 9:35 am

Rising prices is nothing new. Strat is an awesome game and I will be happy to pay more.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx