Ted Lasso ATG League - Season 7

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: Ted Lasso ATG League - 18 teams, to start in January

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 7:56 pm

Is it okay that I haven't played in any of Andy's leagues to this point? Are there some things - outside of what's mentioned in the league description - I need to be aware of....basically so I won't annoy the crap out of you later on with questions? ha

barterer2002

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 8:15 pm

tcochran wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:So I guess my first question is relievers. I know they are tight in Andy’s leagues in the 20s and 30s. And he has special dispensation to just use 3. So are you counting on using 3 or 4 pure relievers and are there enough for each set of seasons?

No special dispensation yet, but I'll chat with Andy about how he organized that -- I've not played in his leagues for a couple of years now. The provision to use "retired" players from the season most recently completed should help, though. Any ideas on how to improve?

I was just looking at the spreadsheet Andy sends out using the start years. It’s slightly off because there are some players listed at SP that had a RP season (Luque and Uhle for example) but it’s pretty close.

I find 39 pure relievers who started before 1913. That’s slightly more than 2 per team
For season 2. 27 of these can continue on and 34 new RP are available. So slightly more than 60 available or just short of 3.5 per team.
Season 3 is tough. 5 of the first set are still available, 22 from the second set but only 17 newcomers. That’s a total of roughly 45 or 2.5 per team.

I didn’t really look past this point.
You need 54 to staff 18 teams with 3 relievers or 72 for 4 relievers. I think you are going to have to make an allowance, at least in the beginning to allow relievers from other eras to play.

Maybe a rule that says any pure RP under 1M can be used from any era based in years prior to 1950 however obviously they must be waived at the end of each season.

barterer2002

Re: Ted Lasso ATG League: Andy’s Alts with a Ted Lasso twis

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 8:16 pm

Ted Lasso ATG League

1. tcochran (willing to manage 2 teams)
2. Hamilton17
3. denorien
4. fredpaii (this sounds fun)
5. Barterer2002

tcochran

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:02 pm

fredpaii wrote:Is it okay that I haven't played in any of Andy's leagues to this point? Are there some things - outside of what's mentioned in the league description - I need to be aware of....basically so I won't annoy the crap out of you later on with questions? ha

Hey Fred, no worries on lack of "Andy" experience. That's probably a good thing, as you've seen in the Glory Days League. Andy's one of the top Strat managers of all time!

This is a fun concept that I'm sure you'll pick up pretty quickly. I played in a number of Andy's earlier ATG leagues and always enjoyed them. I have no problem with managers who ask questions. If something's not clear to you, that's probably true for others, too.

Ask away!

tcochran

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 9:04 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
tcochran wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:So I guess my first question is relievers. I know they are tight in Andy’s leagues in the 20s and 30s. And he has special dispensation to just use 3. So are you counting on using 3 or 4 pure relievers and are there enough for each set of seasons?

No special dispensation yet, but I'll chat with Andy about how he organized that -- I've not played in his leagues for a couple of years now. The provision to use "retired" players from the season most recently completed should help, though. Any ideas on how to improve?

I was just looking at the spreadsheet Andy sends out using the start years. It’s slightly off because there are some players listed at SP that had a RP season (Luque and Uhle for example) but it’s pretty close.

I find 39 pure relievers who started before 1913. That’s slightly more than 2 per team
For season 2. 27 of these can continue on and 34 new RP are available. So slightly more than 60 available or just short of 3.5 per team.
Season 3 is tough. 5 of the first set are still available, 22 from the second set but only 17 newcomers. That’s a total of roughly 45 or 2.5 per team.

I didn’t really look past this point.
You need 54 to staff 18 teams with 3 relievers or 72 for 4 relievers. I think you are going to have to make an allowance, at least in the beginning to allow relievers from other eras to play.

Maybe a rule that says any pure RP under 1M can be used from any era based in years prior to 1950 however obviously they must be waived at the end of each season.

Yes, maybe some kind of "wild card" rule for players under $1 mil -- might need it for various bench players, too, in the early years.

tcochran

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 1:14 pm

I just finished adding all of the start and end seasons to the ATG9 salaries spreadsheet and found that only the RPs would be an issue in roster management. It looks like all other positions will be fully staffed.

For RPs, we should be okay there, too, for most seasons, as long as we arrange for special dispensation to only require 3 "pure" RPs per squad. Availability is as follows:
Season 1 - 45 RPs
Season 2 - 70 RPs
Season 3 - 50 RPs
Season 4 - 53 RPs

We would only need a few ringers from other seasons, to get to our 18 x 3 = 54 minimum.

barterer2002

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 3:31 pm

tcochran wrote:I just finished adding all of the start and end seasons to the ATG9 salaries spreadsheet and found that only the RPs would be an issue in roster management. It looks like all other positions will be fully staffed.

For RPs, we should be okay there, too, for most seasons, as long as we arrange for special dispensation to only require 3 "pure" RPs per squad. Availability is as follows:
Season 1 - 45 RPs
Season 2 - 70 RPs
Season 3 - 50 RPs
Season 4 - 53 RPs

We would only need a few ringers from other seasons, to get to our 18 x 3 = 54 minimum.

Which works as long as players who also have a SP card can’t use it ( Haines, Luque, Rommel, Uhle etc). And there is a rule that players can’t hold more than the minimum.

I wonder if Andy’s special dispensation requires him to have a separate set created.

tcochran

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 4:01 pm

barterer2002 wrote:I wonder if Andy’s special dispensation requires him to have a separate set created.

I chatted with him today, and yes, it does. We can do that.

tcochran

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Paragraph edited in original post to now say:

In rare instances, there might not be enough relief pitchers available. When that happens, managers may draft “retired” players from the season just ended or players from the next season's debuts, as long as their salaries are less than 1 mil. Such players will be drafted for that season only.

barterer2002

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 7:53 pm

But if you are going to create the sets to use as Andy did which is the only way to allow 3 RP rather than 4 you’ll have to preselect which extra relievers will be in a set.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat