Humble Pie

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

maestro1

Humble Pie

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 pm

Wow, after contending and finishing in the top half last year, this year's tourney has been a massive fail for me. I am near the bottom of the overall standings and all of my teams have been terrible. I just can't seem to make any moves that work. I wish I could say it's a learning experience but I am at a loss. OK, I am done wallowing in self pity, but just had to vent.

jaywalker72

Re: Humble Pie

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 10:24 am

Totally get it!

It really makes what Franky and others do so impressive. The grind is real.

jmdziuban2

Re: Humble Pie

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 2:33 pm

Agreed. After making the semis and then the finals three and two years ago, last year was I was underwhelming. This year? Middling. Despite winning records in the 60s and 70s, not even a wildcard due to tough divisions where I finished third both time, as my remaining teams scuffle along without seeming to be able to make that one roster move that makes significant difference. Seems I've fallen in love with to much hitting and not enough pitching, as that seems to be the MO of my teams to date.

I've also yet to master, or even become competent, at setting bullpen rolls. I've been leaving them mostly blank this year as every time I designate roles, either HAL makes the correct programmed decisions but also sometimes nonsensical of L v R matchups, leaves pitchers in because he's saving a pitcher for a possible later roll, or the teams overall performance just nosedives.

Or maybe it's just me wavering between too tentative to too impulsive. Wait, wait, wait and see, then overreact.
Ah well.

Return to --- Mystery Tournament