Just checking this one out

Our innovative Baseball Daily game- players cards change based on their real life performance

Moderators: Juiced JC, Palmtana

• Author

chasenally

Just checking this one out

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:34 pm

I thought I could use this to help me in my Keeper Leagues. I started a team so I could check out the players. This one confuses me. The Daily part just doesn't work for me. I was checking out Luis Arraez and even though he has a BA almost .50 points higher than last year his card is almost identical. Do they use a part of last year to make it a 162 game average? The cost of the cards also doesn't seem to make sense.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

barrmorris

Re: Just checking this one out

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:41 am

There's a Baseball Daily FAQ" at the top of this forum that partly explains it, and I don't pretend to have deep insight into Strat's model, but the cards in Daily are intended to be predictive rather than replicate past statistics. I believe that recent events carry a heavy weight in the make-up of a Daily card. So, while Arraez is hitting better this year, his stats had been declining over the last two weeks (prior to getting two hits Sunday). All of this is to say that you can't really look at the ytd stats for a player and know what the card is like.

jjii66

PostTue May 30, 2023 10:28 am

The daily game is very different, and it's not for everyone. As far as the cards (and prices) go, they seem to be based partly on last year, and partly on predictions for this year (as Barrmorris mentioned.) BUT as the season goes along, the cards change to reflect recent performance-- while the prices stay the same-- and a lot of weird stuff happens. Xander Bogaerts hasn't hit well for a while, and his card reflects it. So at nearly $9M he's a bit useless at the moment. Nolan Gorman, on the other hand, has a nice card, but it's very cheap... he probably wasn't expected to be this good. So he's a nice bargain. And the daily game is all about finding those bargains.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:45 pm

you really have to be good at evaluating cards in the daily game because salary has very little link to actual performance. There are .50 cent cards that make Gagne's ATG card look totally mediocre, but in a week when they give up a couple homers, those cards will also be useless. Its a combo of knowing the baseline based on past performances, recent hot streaks and putting in the effort to look at cards.

ScumbyJr

PostTue May 30, 2023 7:33 pm

chasenally wrote:I thought I could use this to help me in my Keeper Leagues. I started a team so I could check out the players. This one confuses me. The Daily part just doesn't work for me. I was checking out Luis Arraez and even though he has a BA almost .50 points higher than last year his card is almost identical. Do they use a part of last year to make it a 162 game average? The cost of the cards also doesn't seem to make sense.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Top two rules to know
1) Cards will change and many times will make no sense (random triple chances, injuries on only 1 side of the card, etc.)
2) Salaries are fixed at the beginning of season or when new card is introduced. Do not evaluate value based on salary.

chasenally

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:02 pm

Thank you everyone for your help.

Mike
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Daily