Why Can't They...Or Wont They,,,Fix The Computer...?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

shoop

Why Can't They...Or Wont They,,,Fix The Computer...?

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 1:40 am

They make advancements to this great game every year.....Yet how often do we read about the same disappointment here?,,,Too often is what they say.

Most leagues and tournament I know dont let you make a move on offense unless you have a legal substitute that can go into the field at the empty position.

Last night in top of 9th and I am down a run with my last shortstop reaching base. Computer decides to run for him and I come back to take he lead.

So I am sure you know where this is going,,,with no SS left on the bench I am forced to play a 5e88 at the most important position.

After getting two outs and giving up a single,,,I then proceed to lose the game on consecutive X-Chart rolls to the shortstop, who gives up a single and error followed by another single...I take it the roll for the error didnt even happen since the game was over.

To make things worse, we know that there is really no way to us as manager to prevent these type of wrong moves, except maybe marking all players not to be pinch ran for.

Bonus mistake by the computer for my first baseman who is replaced with the lead. Instead of using the player marked as the replacement who is a 1e10 and he pinch ran in the top of the inning, the computer instead brings a 3 off the bench and sends the should be 1 defender out of the game.

Thanks for your time or ideas on how to help.

apolivka

Re: Why Can't They...Or Wont They,,,Fix The Computer...?

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 12:17 pm

Yes, this can be frustrating. Even worse is when he takes out your last catcher and puts in a position player to catch.

I do make a pretty concerted effort to mark my backups to not be pinch ran for, and HAL is really pretty good about respecting that. Also in drafting backups, I try not to get really slow ones at those key infield positions. A 5 in LF is can be worth a key pinch running situation, but almost never at 2B/3B/SS.

Radagast Brown

Re: Why Can't They...Or Wont They,,,Fix The Computer...?

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 pm

I think they could solve a lot of problems like the ones you mentioned, and others, if we were required to carry at a minimum at least 27 to 32 players, including at least three at every position. You could even have a small inactive list.

It's not really realistic to go through an entire season with 24-25 players. As long as we are playing GM, let us play GM.

And then Hal wouldn't run out of position players or pitchers. Though he would probably still occasionally make bad decisions.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx