Experimental Decade League: NO keepers from your decade!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Moodymets

Experimental Decade League: NO keepers from your decade!

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 10:49 am

Never seen this before, and I enjoy trading, so I created this: This is a DECADE DRAFT league (all same first digit... 20-29, 30-39, etc). No duplicate decades. You may only draft player cards from your decade - please put your decade as your team name.

HERE'S THE CATCH: Once the season begins, you may have any player card in the entire set on your roster EXCEPT for your decade!! The only way you may acquire players is through free agents or trades. Post waivers before the season begins is going to be fun... most of the players you want you'll need to trade for ;-) In essence, before the season begins, your decade is your farm team, none of whom you're able to use (unless you use a card of theirs from a different decade) during the season. You'll have to manage your roster wisely: make yourself too easy a trading partner, you won't get your best possible team. Make yourself too difficult a trading partner and you'll have to release players before the season begins and you get nothing for them.

DRAFT: you must declare a decade and draft only cards from that time span.
PRE-WAIVERS: trade away your decade cards and/or prepare waiver claims as usual
POST WAIVERS (4 days long): swap out your player cards for ones you are allowed to use (if your 1960's decade has the 1969 McCovey, he may be swapped over to his 1970 card and be kept!), trade away your decade cards you can't/won't keep and/or claim free agents as usual
PRIOR to the first game: DROP any player card on your team that matches your decade (they now become free agents for every other owner in the league)
IN SEASON: at all times, hands off any cards that match your decade

Anyone brave enough to try this?! :-)

rbtsmith

Re: Experimental Decade League: NO keepers from your decade!

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 3:10 pm

I have 2 questions about the league. If you get a player from another decade in the autodraft, can you keep him, or must he be dropped as well? Also, the league is listed as no DH. Is that correct? Thanks.

Palmtana

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 3:54 pm

This says No DH

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/list

This says DH

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/467583

(Edit: the league page now says No DH)

rbtsmith

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 10:27 pm

Thanks. I only asked since most high cap leagues use the DH. But then again, this league not like most high cap leagues.

Moodymets

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 10:36 pm

great questions... all players on your roster pre-waivers (to the degree possible) should be your decade only. Big ticket players likely will not be impacted, but there may be some second tier players who make it onto an incorrect roster - we'll just handle it like we usually do, sorting that out as best we can as a league through trades, drops, etc. As for the non-DH, yeah, I intentionally switched it up for this one, maybe a bit more need for a stronger bullpen and therefore providing more recent decades the opportunity to use modern closers as greater trade bait.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats