chaberlal

Re: 2024 Players' Championship needs a commissioner

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 6:02 am

Moose is a Mighty Commish...

:D :D :D

mighty moose

Where we are at with this.

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 1:25 pm

Of course, the 2023 game hasn't come out yet. Those cards are what the tourney will use. I have been in discussion with SOM over this idea, the cards will come out soon. I have given them my thoughts on this and I have their support for the changes that I am * thinking about * and I have their agreement on that. Enhancement of prizes is also on the table.

As far as a few specifics for your review and comments ? If SOM advertises the tourney and we get a lot of newbies, event details can be a challege. I mean the 120 Mil event is not a "standard" cap, you have to type in the 120 to get to any created leagues. I propose to change that cap to 140 Mil which is one of the standard caps. Any support for 200 ? I personally dont like the 200 Mil CAP.

I'm not sure I like the semi-finals format as it was used in the past. For obvious reasons, I may propose we switch this to the Barnstormers "style" of semi's, where the top x number of points go straight to the Finals and the remaining players, say up to half of the entrants go into semi-finals to compete for the final spots. For example, last year your existing format wound up with a champion who never had a season with at least 90 wins.

While a mediocre player can come out of the Semi Finals to win, I'd like them to earn that ring. Like I said, Barnstormers "style".

No stadium groupings, that just doesn't work in the 20XX game. For most of the rest of this format, I would not disrupt the 5 events, 4 required. I suppose the no repeat "single stadium" rule works and a penalty if violated.

Trying to get a credit for everyone who makes the finals and semi-finals - again - Barnstormers "style" Those of you who play in Barnstormers know what I speak of.

Anyway, your thoughts now on the proposed changes, particularly from those who have played this tour for years or past commish's.

Moose
Last edited by mighty moose on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palmtana

Re: Where we are at with this.

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 1:47 pm

mighty moose wrote:.....Trying to get a credit for everyone who makes the finals and semi-finals....Moose

I don't play the PC. I hang around the edges and have been pushing for this for a while. Hopefully it comes to fruition. Along with your commissionership, Moose. Stability in that position would be a good thing.

teamnasty

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 4:01 pm

Gonna change my user name to “mediocre player” now.

hendrix08

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 5:21 pm

The only concern with higher salary caps is that the 20XX sets do not have anywhere near the depth that the ATG set has. You could have a 200M cap and many teams would only be able to roster $130M or so. It becomes more of who can roster the most salary - wins, which is why I also am not fond of the 200M ATG format.

XHowser Jr.

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 5:37 pm

hendrix08 wrote:The only concern with higher salary caps is that the 20XX sets do not have anywhere near the depth that the ATG set has. You could have a 200M cap and many teams would only be able to roster $130M or so. It becomes more of who can roster the most salary - wins, which is why I also am not fond of the 200M ATG format.

Agreed. There isn't enough of a player pool to get even close to 200. It just becomes a fantasy league. I think even 140 might be a bit high but probably doable.

I really like the Barnstormers semis idea. The way it is now there is no advantage to finishing high in the standings as opposed to 36th place. Depending on how many entrants you get, you could go top 9 make finals, then 3 semi final leagues with the league winners earning a spot in the finals. That would be 45 making the "playoffs".

Really not enough stadiums to do groupings. The using a stadium once only seems to work well.

I'm pretty sure you won't get anyone complaining about free credits!

barrmorris

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Being a relative newbie, I ran the 2023 tournament pretty much according to the format used in prior tournaments, but I recognized that several things should change. I agree that the top performers in the regular events don't get enough of a reward (plus I hated the 3-round forum draft for the semis and finals). If I had continued as commissioner I would have changed to Barnstormer's or Mystery Tournament style semis. I probably favor Mystery Tournament style a little as it keeps all participants playing.

When I was considering a salary cap for event 5 I looked at going higher than 100, but really couldn't find many examples of caps that high for single season card sets. The exceptions were specialized leagues (keeper maybe?).

MochaDog

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 9:58 pm

I agree with the sentiments expressed so far:
(1) Moose would be a great commissioner; the Barnstormers is such a smooth, efficient, fair, and enjoyable experience!
(2) a Barnstormers-style semis would be a great change to the Players' Championship. As someone who had to go through that experience this year to make the Barnstormers finals, I found it challenging, nerve-wracking, and exciting all at the same time, as it should be. And trying to aim (a) for one of the byes, or failing that (b) for the 12-team semi league as opposed to one of the 24-team leagues gave an added layer of competition and incentive during the "regular season."
(3) I've played the 20xx sets at 100 mill and found plenty of options, but am having trouble imagining going too much higher than that - maybe 120?
(4) Also, I like the Barnstormers idea of randomly distributed league assignments during the "regular season," as opposed to the first-come, first served idea - makes for a fairer distribution of players across all leagues

chaberlal

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 10:07 pm

I love your propositions Moose...

We can go without the 200M$ cap... I hate it anyways...

I hope that you take on the challenge buddy...

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER..
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship