Veteran Managers Advice

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ikes

Veteran Managers Advice

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm

I am leading my division by 6 games at 39-30. I have stuck with the same players the entire season. I have no money to work with.
But, there seems to be an opportunity for me to upgrade at 1st base. I am playing Wes Parker. Solid on-base percentage, no power, excellent fielding, stronger against lefties. I am ok with his performance. I could have $4.87M to work with if I dump Parker. Ron Fairly is available at a price I can afford: more power, strong on-base percentage, 4 out of 5 good years on his card, stronger against righties, 2 range for fielding.
Rest of line-up looks like this:
C-Sundberg-best year
2nd-J. Cruz-worst year
3rd-Santo-best year
LF-Gamble/Herndon-ok year
RF-Aaron-2nd best year
CF-Maddox-???
DH-Luzinski-best year
Do I make a move or not mess with a good thing?

pwootten

Re: Veteran Managers Advice

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Ikes wrote:I am leading my division by 6 games at 39-30. I have stuck with the same players the entire season. I have no money to work with.
But, there seems to be an opportunity for me to upgrade at 1st base. I am playing Wes Parker. Solid on-base percentage, no power, excellent fielding, stronger against lefties. I am ok with his performance. I could have $4.87M to work with if I dump Parker. Ron Fairly is available at a price I can afford: more power, strong on-base percentage, 4 out of 5 good years on his card, stronger against righties, 2 range for fielding.
Rest of line-up looks like this:
C-Sundberg-best year
2nd-J. Cruz-worst year
3rd-Santo-best year
LF-Gamble/Herndon-ok year
RF-Aaron-2nd best year
CF-Maddox-???
DH-Luzinski-best year
Do I make a move or not mess with a good thing?

I say don't do it. If Wes Parker is getting on base at a good clip he's doing his job. Actually neither Parker or Fairly typically perform all that well, so you got lucky on this one.

One thing I notice, that I'm sure was driving your thinking about Fairly, is that you are stacked with righty bats. Since it seems you've gotten good years from Santo, Hank, and the Bull you'll probably be ok, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Don't ignore the results. 39-30 is pretty darn good.

Paul

AdamKatz

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Fairly is relatively unplayable against lefties. In my opinion, ignore fielding for 1Bs. Also in my opinion, no matter how much power you already have, get more out of 1B. Parker's 70 is clearly a keeper. the rest of his years-you are paying for fielding at 1B, which I dont think is worth it. Fairly isnt the right answer though unless you can afford a platoon.

Ikes

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm

OK...Dave "King Kong" Kingman it is. No defense...can never hit too many home runs.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s