POLL: SHOULD STRAT PROVIDE A COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL?

Moderator: Palmtana

Would you like to see a STRAT Manual that provides transparency on the various settings of the game?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:56 pm

Yes. Be a great feature for STRAT to include.
68%
No. It is not needed.
32%

Total votes : 41

• Author

MtheB

POLL: SHOULD STRAT PROVIDE A COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL?

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 4:56 pm

There has been discussion about a lot of the various functionalities of the game, such as to how the BULLPEN SETTINGS, the PITCHER SETTINGS, the HITTER SETTINGS and the TEAM STRATEGY settings actually function, and in particular how the settings affect the play and the results.

Transparency is in high demand of late, and as STRAT has recently stated that there is no "black box", so there should be no issue with STRAT being fully transparent.

The poll will be up for a week, so chime in and vote if you are so moved...

MaxPower

Re: POLL: SHOULD STRAT PROVIDE A COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL?

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:11 pm

I feel like the manual they've provided is pretty comprehensive already. They're not going to fully break down settings like conservative/aggressive that they don't even break down in the Windows manual. Only way to learn about those is trial-and-error. It is what it is.

Backfire

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 10:43 pm

This is a game of skill, math, and history. Please support this. I want more players to join this great game and I believe this would be a giant step in the right direction. A lot of us, let's face it, are not kids anymore. Nowadays, gamers expect well-laid-out rules. Lastly, and most importantly, the only thing I ever really see people get upset about is the unknowns of the game. Let us lay this issue to rest once and for all.

STEVE F

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:16 pm

"gamers" lol. Now I get it. "Asteroids" (my new nickname for Backfire) thinks this is a VIDEO game :lol: :lol: :lol:

MaxPower

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:17 pm

I dunno man I just feel like the rules are already well-laid out and thorough, the people who get confused about them are the people who have never bothered to read them in the first place, or who don't believe them if they do. There's nothing wrong with the proposition that the rules should be as clear as possible, I just think you're generally looking for a level of granularity that is probably unrealistic. There are a few areas where 365 could improve to the level of the Windows game though, which seems like a reasonable ask. I'd love to get my hands on these settings in 365 for example: https://i.imgur.com/Uggzd0D.png In particular HAL is way too aggressive with holds. Super HAL Baserunning would be a clutch addition as well https://i.imgur.com/WPFRlFo.png Or at least, they could provide the figures for that table in terms of what aggressive/normal/conservative translate to. Super HAL Bullpen would be incredible but so far beyond any currently existing granularity that it's probably a pipe dream.

Honestly the best thing Strat could do would be to turn off every single max rule other than pre-1920 errors. None of the others add any value to 365 whatsoever, all they do is create confusion.

STEVE F

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 11:43 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Honestly the best thing Strat could do would be to turn off every single max rule other than pre-1920 errors. None of the others add any value to 365 whatsoever, all they do is create confusion.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

djmacb

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 12:53 am

I want More Baserunning Decisions and Realistic Throwing Errors to stay on. I like the ability to take advantage of my opponents crappy outfielders.

FrankieT

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 7:00 am

djmacb wrote:I want More Baserunning Decisions and Realistic Throwing Errors to stay on. I like the ability to take advantage of my opponents crappy outfielders.

Me too. It is an equalizer for smallball

Backfire

PostSat Aug 27, 2022 8:14 am

Can we get this stickied, please? Seems to be quite a bit of support so far. Also, is there any way to get Strat's attention on this?

FrankieT

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 6:57 pm

This is a good example of where we can go off the rails with assumptions based on perceptions and confirmation biases.
"Seems like quite a bit of support"
How? 28 of 41 players responded in the affirmative to this thread. How many total players are there? Heck there are nearly 200 regular players just in the Barnstormers alone. How many looked at the thread? How many just rolled their eyes? You can be sure if someone wants this badly they would respond in the affirmative. But if not? They are just as likely to avoid answering at all as they are to saying "No".

How is that communicating anything to Strat? Heck there is a guy who constantly posts bright ideas in the ATG forum for things that "need to be changed" and he doesn't even play ATG! Geez. Send an email to 365support and make your case. Sticky note forum posts won't and shouldn't have such an effect.

Just a word to the wise--this squeaky wheel approach is how we got BPv3 and RP repricing.

I don't think MtheB has conflated the results to mean anything more than what he stated--it seemed like a genuine curiosity.
The next step would be a true look at the requirements--the facts, what the paying customers may want, etc.

I don't know if folks realize how small the company is. I used to pass by it as I didn't live far. We are talking a small business.
And honestly, yes the price seems high. But then again I have not paid for a credit since late 2020 even while playing regularly. And I even gave 4 away this year.
So I don't know, no disrespect. It seems like a leap to go from an informal poll on a forum that maybe 25% of players even pay attention to, in order to say "the community has spoken."
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats