how is this 1st shea team

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:19 pm

I would absolutely keep mauer at all costs! He will be an absolute ANIMAL in shea.....

here is one sample, plus qk recommends him highly in Shea (and everywhere else for that matter) which is good enough for me

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=8271

as has been stated, need a good backup/platoon for him. In this instance (and others) i have used piazza. J Molina is a nice option also.

Agree with Gload (as you can see on this team) an animal also!
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:23 pm

I agree with coffee, i like your sp's for the most part now, but really need to do something with your pen.

My favorites are Ryan, Lidge, Wagner, Gordon.....
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby Coffeeholic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Got your PM... Grab Koskie and platoon him with Alphonzo (instead of Lowell). When you get Molina back to platoon with Mauer, you will have ample protection vs. LHP.

Looks pretty good though.

You have Eric Young... he's excellent trade bait. Look for Chris Hammond and see if you can work a deal for him... very good fit for Shea at the bottom of your pen.
Coffeeholic

Shhhh.... Cormier

Postby Play By The Rules » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:10 pm

Really, really like CORMIER in Shea.

Even more than Mahay. You'll get the same results or better for less $$$.
Play By The Rules

Postby Coffeeholic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:12 pm

Good point PBTR, Cormier is excellent in Shea, but he wasn't available.

jdl, you could, however, explore a trade of Mahay for Cormier, and when you do, try to work for an upgrade of another player...(ie. Mahay and Escobar for Cormier and Davis)

jdl, you need a back-up for Mauer. Your platoon is Mauer/Molina, but Mauer is very injury prone, so you need a righty killing back-up for him when he goes down because Molina should only face lefties (1st choices being Javier Valentin or AJP - one of these guys coupled with Blum or Bloomquist instead of Amezaga would give you back-up at 2B and SS as well as a DH platoon when Gload or Freel gets injured and Dunn moves to 1B or LF).

Koskie is also a higher injury risk (not as bad as Mauer), but Fonzy can cover adequately enough for him that you don't need to worry about this.

Man, your team is really taking shape! Make sure to explore that trade of Young for Hammond. A bullpen of Lidge, Mahay and Hammond is all you need in Shea! Those other pitchers (Millwood, Mesa, Franco and Martin) can be turned into 2 higher quality situational SP's as you see fit vs. your opponents or just for extra salary used elsewhere. IMO, if you can land Hammond, you're better off not having Mesa, Franco or Martin pitch at all.

Young is a valuable trade comodity, but he doesn't really have a place on your team. Make sure to use him wisely as trade bait.
Coffeeholic

Postby Play By The Rules » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:54 pm

It's better to work the indestructable catcher thing and have a Pratt or Piazza. Both hold their own against righties.

Great idea about the trade offer. I've found also although Escobar's card LOOKS good in your park, that he'll get bombed significantly on the road.
Play By The Rules

I will play devils advocate a little concerning Berkman..

Postby mlayers » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:42 pm

Check out this 100 game Championship winning season I had at Shea.
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=12028

Berkman was great for me. I am also a big fan of Rusch, Washburn, Belliard, and Thomas at Shea. I am not wild about Doug Davis, I have had him on other Shea teams and he just doesn't get it done for me. Could be just bad dice rolls, but I won't use him there again. I really love Wagner and Foulke at Shea...lights out!

Boo Bonic
mlayers

Postby DAVIDLEE 2 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:51 am

Was declined on Hammond. What about Jamie walker
DAVIDLEE 2

Postby Coffeeholic » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:54 pm

I would think that Walker would be a great fit for Shea.
With Walker and Franco matched with a couple of hard righties, this should work pretty well for you.

However, I'm not big on extreme RP's, so I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge of this type of bullpen usage.
Coffeeholic

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx