NLD 25 Chat

Postby keyzick » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:34 pm

It's official! My team of (apparent) overachievers has clinched 1st with 2 nights to go.

Seriously though, I love reading those ratings/evaluations you post, Joe. Although I still don't understand why my team rated so poorly :x ...I felt like I had a great balance of hitting v LHP and RHP's...although the ratings disagreed with me, the outcome didn't. :)

I know there's always the luck factor, but with my pythag agreeing with my record, it's not like I was just squeaking out ballgames either.

Ah, well, I'm off to the playoffs where I'll probably get swept in 3 (seems to be my theme in 2009!).

Great season guys!
keyzick

Postby joethejet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Keyzick,

I think you're comparing to 80 mil teams. Your team is good, I dont' think it's as good as many of the teams in the league however. Also, there's not *that* much difference between the ratigns.

Since you asked, here's why you didn't rate well:

In relative terms, remember this is a $100 mil league, you don't have very good O v RHP.

Virtually no power. only 2 guys with 7+ BPHRs, Utley with 6. Four guys with 0. That's a LOT. And, it's not like you have speed.

You have only 4 guys with > .400 OB and zero clutch.

However, You do have good hits on the card in general. Your low power numbers are what standout. Also, you are playing in a low single park yet you lead the league in OBP. I don't think that would be expected with your lineup.

Pierzynski is a single hitter with no walks and lousy clutch
Berkman has power and walks, but no hits but rates well
Utley same as Berk. also rates pretty well, but better v LHP.
Pennington is OK, but no power
Blake is mediocre v RHP.
Pod is low op and all singles,
Victorio low ob, few hits no power and low clutch v RHP
Ichiro is solid except for the lack of power
Lind is very good

On D you're on the second worst in the league in large part by playing a 3e22 at SS. That is playing with fire. Any time you're holding with a LHB up, he's a 4. That means few DPs and quite a few hits. You have a 3/4 at 1b and a 3 in LF and 3b. The only above average fielders you have are 2b and RF.

You got the same numbers out of De la rosa for 1.15 as I got from Buehrle. Ratings don't predict that.

Papelbon has been 2 runs better than Bailey with twice as many saves, again the ratings don't predict that.

Sanches is a run better than Calero. They should be close even if you just look at salary.

That's why the ratings say you shouldn't be as good as you've played. I will say that you CRUSH lhp. The fact that you've been better v RHP is an anomaly that I think is hard to argue with. Your team isn't even that good a fit for your park in that you don't have few BPHRs and it's a very low single park.

Again remember this is a $100 mil league so the teams are all better. If you're comparing to an $80 mil team of course it's very good.

Even if you don't look at ratings, compare what you spent on O v RHP to the rest of the league and tell me if you would expect to get the O you've gotten. Maybe the salaries are all wrong. <shrug>

I don't meant to denigrate your team, just trying to explain why the ratings don't expect your team to be as good as it's been.

You've played well, what can I say? Congrats on making the Playoffs!
joethejet

Postby keyzick » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks...always interesting to read the breakdowns. I have been kinda shocked by the imbalance of my offense RHP/LHP.

I always seem to play with fire with the Pennington/Ramirez platoon. Out of curiousity, what's your take on that platoon versus someone like Aybar? Obivously Aybar's much stronger defensively, but do you think it's enough to offset the offense? (I ask because I have the option of sticking with that platoon or grabbing Aybar in another league!).

Good point about the 100M v 80M makeup...something I never considered.

In any case, I hope I'm not sounding like the guy who still insists the earth is flat...just thought it was interesting to see the team play at such a high level throughout the whole season. Of course, like so many have experienced - I could duplicate the team tomorrow and end up with a 70-win season! :lol:
keyzick

Postby Ninersphan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Okay, time to get this out of the way, now that the season is winding down:

1. [b:7ed3d1997f]Beach[/b:7ed3d1997f] has sent word to me that he is stepping away from the NLD, so if there is a third season this year you will have to replace him.

2. I also am bowing out from a third go round with this set.

3. As of now I am still fully commited to[b:7ed3d1997f] stepping down as commisioner [/b:7ed3d1997f]of this league, HOWEVER I am undecided as to whether I will particpate as just a player next year, I'm leaning towards no, but my planned hiatus, from now until the next set is released, might recharge my batteries enough to change my mind.

All the reasons I posted at the start of the current season still stand as to the why, add to it less time overall and something has got to give, and while you all are a great bunch I simply enjoy my keeper leagues more than this format.

Good luck to the playoff teams.
Ninersphan

Postby joethejet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:13 am

NOW we figure out how to beat Keyzick! We actually ended up with a winning record versus them surprisingly enough. Must have done well against them early cuz I know we didn't late!

Got crushed by Silver (2-7) but right around .500 or better v everyone else.

Keyz,

Aybar is going to rate higher overall, but if you have weak offense overall v RHP, then you might be better off with Pennington, OTOH, if you have no D (e.g. a 3 at 2b or 3b) then Aybar is certainly the way to go. Aybar's biggest downfall is no power v RHP. so, if you're in a low HR park/division then that also should lean towards him.

It's a dice game for sure and you never know what's going to come up. It's not like your team was horrible and completely over performed. I think it did as well as it possibly could, but that happens in SOM so....

Niners,

I hope you come back as a player even if you're not commish. Sorry to hear you'll miss out on NLD 26. You will be missed. I'm sure someone will step up for commish. Any volunteers? Any nominations? ;)

All, looks like we need two players for the next NLD. Any suggestions? When do we look at starting the next round? I assume everyone else is in?

Good luck to the PO teams!

Jet
p.s. I don't think anyone else lives in the SF Bay Area, but AT, Silver and I are getting together on Sunday to watch the Niners so if someone else is in the area, email me at joethejet4 at gmail dot com and I'll give you all the info.
joethejet

Postby qksilver69 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 am

Hey guys,

1st we had a great time on Sunday despite the Niners throwing away yet another win. Beer & wings, excellent! And Hooters girls never hurt anyone right? :D

2nd, congrats to BigM for wasting me (predictably) in the Semis. I had a negative run differential & a fun but marginal team so not surprising there.

FYI as I have no credits and money is tight (preschool is damn expensive!) I will likely vote to skip to 2011 before doing another NLD.

Great couple of seasons though, thanks for the run, and Bill I hope you stick around to play NLD even if you reign of terror as Commish is over! :P Seriously though thanks for the efforts over the years, really appreciated.

Dave
qksilver69

Postby bigmahon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Hey guys,

It looks like we are done with this set. But if enough of you are interested, I can start a live draft league (non-NLD of course) and recruit extras on the boards.

Niners, you have been a great commish, and the NLD will suffer without you! I hope you stay in the league even if you aren't the boss anymore. :wink:

And if nobody else steps forward, I'd be happy to volunteer my services to keep the league running.

Long live the NLD.

Chris
bigmahon

Postby joethejet » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:36 am

Big M,

You can be commish if you want. I also think Jeep would make a good commish if you really don't want to be.

Silver, I have a bunch of credits if I can pass one to you and keep you in.

Went back and checked my injuries. I lost Hunter for 41 (25%) of our games. Actually right about what you'd expect. What you might not expect is that we went 15-26 in those games a -9. That means we were +13 the rest of the time. :shock: Ouch. I thought the Grandy/Parra replacement would work, but I guess not. Didn't help that Hal would play Kapler (:evil) at DH v RHP before I could fix the lineups. :roll:

Not sure *what* logic would lead to that decision.

GL to Keyz and Big M in the finals. The two ratings favored teams have won so far.

Jet
joethejet

Postby keyzick » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:45 am

First night off to an exciting start...1-1 split in games, with both games going into extra innings.

Big M losing Crawford for the next 3 may hamper his efforts.

Crossing my fingers for this team, I haven't had much success with 09 set!
keyzick

Postby joethejet » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 am

heck of a matchup in game 6 Halladay and carpenter with Keyzick having his back against the wall!

Jet
joethejet

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat