Big Bang Auction

Postby Mr Baseball World » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Next time I will be more organized from the beginning and post each persons roster info right after their winning bids each round.

Let me know what changes you think would be good for next time. Allow people to bid on less than a full roster in each round? Have a set number of players in each round to intensify the bidding/avoid the guy winning Mantle in round 1 because he was the only bidder? I know I want to set a time structure so you guys know when to expect results.
Mr Baseball World

Postby Mr Baseball World » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Half way there.....6 lists in.
Mr Baseball World

Postby PotKettleBlack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 pm

I think it could be useful to have a required format for submissions, possibly even loaded through Google Spreadsheets. Might make the processing more efficient.

I don't think there's a problem with one person bidding on Mantle winding up with him in the first round. If you don't bid, you don't win. If you game theory yourself out of the titans (as I have done), so be it. That's what nearly 17M platoons are for (Maris/Evans... no... really).
PotKettleBlack

Postby DOHowser1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

List is in the hands of Mr. Baseball World
DOHowser1

Postby hackra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 pm

I think things are going just fine with the format...it is a lot of work for Mr. BBW (thanks again Mr. BBW). No problem here with the process. That said, I really liked the first round of bidding and totally jobbed myself on the second round (probably the 3rd also).

Just think...had I known, could have had Babe and Bonds PLUS for the minimum bid Mantle, McGwire, Drysedale, Cicotte and Bender all in the first round.
:D
hackra

Postby carr20 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I much prefer our snail-like competitive bid auction process. I've found this one to be too blind and too given to chance, as opposed to employing a bidding strategy, etc. And yes, one could say that bidding on a particular person and not others is a strategy...but to me it is all chance.

To me, it's silly that someone won Bagwell for 1.16 and someone could've had Mantle or Cobb for the same amount...and no disrespect to the lucky Bagwell winner.

While I like the auction group, and competing with them, I doubt very much that I'm game for another big bang.
Last edited by carr20 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carr20

Postby Mr Baseball World » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:35 pm

A middle ground I was also thinking about would be to have maybe sets of 25 players. Auction a set per day with everyone bidding on as many or as few as they see fit to bid on. That might be roughly a two-three week process.
Mr Baseball World

Postby gorshar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Maybe if I wasn't looking at a 100+ loss team, I'd think differently, but this is one format I'm not really up for doing again. Nice to try new things though.

That said, I'm up for variations suggested, such as bidding on smaller player groups and whatever else I might think up in the next few days.

And still want to do db, pre, post, exp subsets....
gorshar

Postby Frank Bailey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Would it be possible to arrange a few 60-90 minute sessions in a group chat room with something like Facebook or Yahoo Messenger? We could do set a number of different processes to avoid some of the slowdowns that happen in a Rotisserie type auction.

I can't do something that will take months to complete, but a couple weeks works fine. There ought to be enough interest in two or three types of drafts to allow participation for those who like either or both.
Frank Bailey

Postby PotKettleBlack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

I have liked this format, but understand some people's problems with it (mostly have themselves to blame, but the newness of it was also a factor).

I have really liked the speed. That is mostly my ADD speaking. Previous drafts I have made major mistakes by losing focus over the weeks and months. I will spend some time (maybe this weekend) looking at some different mechanisms that we might work to maintain some of the pacing of this draft without some of the (perceived) inequities. I have the power, I just don't have the brain power after a day at work.
PotKettleBlack

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat