Mickie Mantle in Dunn

Mickie Mantle in Dunn

Postby Moriarity » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:48 am

Can the Mick carry a Dunn team? Other teams in division are Baker, Forbes and Candlestick. Thanks in advance.
Moriarity

Postby sschu » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:47 am

It depends on the opposition SPs, but Kid Speer turns the Mick into Spud Davis at Dunn.

sschu
sschu

Postby GARYGARCIA » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:48 am

The Mick hits ...period.....if you face a bunch of LHP at your park he's gonna hit around .400.......and if not he's gonna hit 50+ HR's.....protect him w/ RH batter w/ a bunch of doubles or natural HR's.......i'd think w/ two of the other parks in division being so stingy......Mickey's natural HR's v RHP will be a big bonus for you......and in Baker....well...... it's Baker, 'nough said
Buen Suerte Senor
g
GARYGARCIA

Postby novie » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:56 am

If the key word in the question is "carry", I think the answer is no. You are talking about a 14M hitter who's "weakness" is vs. LHP. In Dunn you are likely to see a few extra LH starters all year long.

Dunn is one of, if not, my favorite park to use. Most of my success has come with teams anchored by guys like Cobb and Speaker. Other obvious choices include Yaz and Musial. Mathews is a key 3B to have as well (one season he put up 50+HR and over 170bi's). All this said, the other key is to have one or two lefty mashers like Cleon (who I love here) or Ennis.

Also, make use of value in the SP's... a strong reverse righty like Seaver or Palmer as well as a top notch lefty (Pfeister type)... to go along with a couple solid Lolich/Kaat types. In the pen, considering your div as well, a guy like Schiraldi can exceed his card.
novie

Postby gamiam » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:54 am

My experience is Mick is a bad choice in Dunn. The extreme nature of the park means you will see a lot of LHP which turns him into a right-handed singles hitter. Yes the card is still nice, but not worth anywhere near 15 million.
gamiam

love the mick...

Postby STUARTHOLCOMB » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:44 pm

just never want to use him again
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=11004

that was my dunn esperiment - a switch hitting team, and ty cobb.
didn't work out for me, mantle was just bad at times at home. $2M pitchers just made him look silly way too often. :cry:
STUARTHOLCOMB

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats